Page 12 of 16 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast
Results 111 to 120 of 151

Thread: Dieter Heydrich

  1. #111
    CakeorDeath
    Guest
    The wizarding world doesn't have cartoons,
    It does have comic books though, Ron has them in CoS, so it they could use those characters.

  2. #112
    Wizengamot Ravenclaw
    You idiot! Always playing the Hero!
    OliveOil_Med's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    My fanfiction notebook broke!
    Posts
    1,547
    Hey, Dieter. I'm back again, because Molly has the flu, she can't leave her room, and her brain is going insane. I don't know what she's going to make me ask, but I'm gonna have fun finding out!


    I love the cartoons Tim posted, although I think I'm scarred by seeing Donald Duck as a Nazi. How much do you want to bet the fat Nazi playing the flute-thing is gay?

    Do people in the German military get tattoos? Lots of people in the American military do?

    Have you ever been on a vacation anywhere for your family?

    Where all have you travelled in your life?

    You've had so many posts. Is there anything you HAVEN'T been asked?

    Molly found this video for me. Click! Can you not tell me monkeyes are awsome after seeing this?

    Have you gotten to know any other of the OCs at MNFF? Probably not, you're afraid of girls after all.

    Brand New Story!

    Banner by lullaby_BANG. Completely awesome avi came from here!

    My brand new trailer for Snape Didn't Die by thegirllikeme to serve as a constant source of inspiration whilst I write!

  3. #113
    Amanda Vega
    Guest
    Guten Morgen, Dieter, as it's 3:43 where I am! Ich heisse Amanda, and you are Dieter, correct? Of course you are - why else would I be here?

    I'm about eight pages too late, but I've been eyeing your thread for months, Dieter, and I have to ask:

    Why is your favourite colour red? It's the colour of Communism, and aren't Fascists/National Socialists opposed to that? And for that matter, shouldn't the Durmstrang uniform offend you in some way, simply for being red? Now that I've pointed that out, do you feel like Durmstrang is oppressive against you somehow?

    On other subjects, though:

    I'm Aryan. How does that make you feel about me? Honestly, I mean. As compared to maybe some of the other people you've talked to in your time here, especially, because I noticed in another thread that was the first thing you asked other characters - their Aryan status.

    Tim, your friend, was talking about propaganda. Do you know what propaganda is? Are you affected by it? Or, I suppose, are you able to realise it may or may not be affecting you?

    And -gasp- you've only read the first chapter of Mein Kampf? I know you already explained why, but... it's practically the Bible! Better, even! In fact, I heard that every family was required to own a copy and leave it on display in their house. Well, I could read books that long at eleven, anyway...

    Do you find that to be me intentionally provoking you? After all, as a good Aryan, shouldn't you be smarter than other people? Excuse me - sub-humans. Wouldn't it be terrible to imagine if someone else - not me, of course, but maybe a non-Aryan - had read the book at your age, and you hadn't? Pssh. What am I saying? Impossible.



    It was nice talking to you, Dieter! I must now continue my all-nighter to finish a chapter nine months overdue, so tschüss!

    -- Amanda








    I love all this Fuhrer and war talk and everything. It makes the FMA enthusiast inside me happy, lol xD
    Well, and the WWII/Holocaust-scholar (using the word 'enthusiast' there would sound too strange!) happy, as well, but whatever.


    TIM: just so you know, thread limit is 150 posts. That's fifteen pages, I think. And interestingly enough, I am actually Aryan - down to the physical appearance - but only for the most part. I've also got some Eastern Europe in me. But shh, don't tell Dieter!
    MNFF general population: I don't -actually- share Dieter's views, but I'm having fun playing a character xD

  4. #114
    Seventh Year Ravenclaw
    Setting Off Fireworks in Potions Class
    Tim the Enchanter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    ¡El planeta de los simios!
    Posts
    634
    Guten Tag, everyone! Tim just finished another picture of me in my Durmstrang uniform, and it's in colour, no less!

    But I digress. Hello, Nate again. Molly has the influenza, you say? Poor thing...

    Well, on to your questions.

    I love the cartoons Tim posted, although I think I'm scarred by seeing Donald Duck as a Nazi. How much do you want to bet the fat Nazi playing the flute-thing is gay?

    What cartoon are you talking about? Who's a homosexual?

    Do people in the German military get tattoos? Lots of people in the American military do?

    I actually have no idea, to tell the truth. Never crossed my mind to find out.

    Have you ever been on a vacation anywhere for your family?

    Don't you mean with my family? But yes, I have, and I'll say where in the answer for the next question.

    Where all have you travelled in your life?

    Back in 1936, my family went on a trip to the Alps, so we visited Switzerland and Austria, which wasn't yet part of the Reich. Unfortunately, those are the only two foreign countries I've been to, and one of them doesn't exist anymore. Within Deutschland, I've been to Berlin once or twice, and we went to Nuremberg in '37 for the rally that year - it was amazing!

    You've had so many posts. Is there anything you HAVEN'T been asked?

    Of course. Every question after this one is proof of that.

    Molly found this video for me. Click! Can you not tell me monkeyes are awsome after seeing this?

    Have I ever expressed a dislike for monkeys? Anyway, that woman is a very good ventriloquist, though I didn't understand several of her jokes.

    Have you gotten to know any other of the OCs at MNFF? Probably not, you're afraid of girls after all.

    I AM NOT AFRAID OF GIRLS! I actually have met another OC in this MNFF forum, an African Untermensch girl named "Haiti" Jordan. You might want to check out her thread to see my interviews.

    Well, nice talking to you, Nate.


    Greetings to you, Amanda. Yes, I am Dieter!

    And eight pages is not too late!

    Why is your favourite colour red? It's the colour of Communism, and aren't Fascists/Nazis opposed to that? And for that matter, shouldn't the Durmstrang uniform offend you in some way, simply for being red? Now that I've pointed that out, do you feel like Durmstrang is oppressive against you somehow?

    I find that a rather stupid reason to hate the colour red, just because the Bolsheviks use it! Should I hate the air too, because Bolsheviks breath it?

    You also seem to be forgetting that the flag of the Reich is RED, with a white disk and black swastika in the centre.

    But now that you mention Durmstrang, I am bothered by the school's insistence that Slavs be treated just the same as Aryan students! That just makes no sense at all. Also, there are some old-fashioned people (even fellow Aryans!) at the school who don't like me because I'm a Muggleborn.

    I'm Aryan. How does that make you feel about me? Honestly, I mean. As compared to maybe some of the other people you've talked to in your time here, especially, because I noticed in another thread that was the first thing you asked other characters - their Aryan status.

    You're Aryan too? That's good - I'm so glad that you can understand everything I'm saying without me having to explain it! All the non-Aryans who interview me are so stupid and are always puzzled by everything I say! So, it's good to meet another compatriot with whom I could talk in a candid manner.

    Tim, your friend, was talking about propaganda. Do you know what propaganda is? Are you affected by it? Or, I suppose, are you able to realise it may or may not be affecting you?

    Well... I wouldn't exactly call Tim my friend. My author can be pretty strict sometimes and punishes me for the most ridiculous reasons, like asking innocent questions on other peoples' OC threads. I suspect he might be a secret communist, just like 90% of everyone on this site!

    But to answer your question, propaganda is simply the distribution of information to large numbers of people, through things like radio, newspapers, pamphlets, that sort of thing. And just like everyone who isn't a primitive savage, I am aware of and am affected by mass communication.

    Originally, the word "propaganda" had no negative connotation, because it was simply a term referring to the diffusion of information, and it didn't have to be politically motivated. Today of course, the word means something entirely different!

    And -gasp- you've only read the first chapter of Mein Kampf? I know you already explained why, but... it's practically the Bible! Better, even! In fact, I heard that every family was required to own a copy and leave it on display in their house. Well, I could read books that long at eleven, anyway...

    The book is very deep - I can see why it's higher reading! I do try my best to read in the free time I have, however. Anyway, my older brother Hans, who's reading the book in its entirety, hates it - he calls it Mein Kampf mit der deutschen Sprache. But then again, he's bored by anything that isn't in a skirt.

    Do you find that to be me intentionally provoking you? After all, as a good Aryan, shouldn't you be smarter than other people? Excuse me - sub-humans. Wouldn't it be terrible to imagine if someone else - not me, of course, but maybe a non-Aryan - had read the book at your age, and you hadn't? Pssh. What am I saying? Impossible.

    Well, you do seem to be a little bossy, but if you could effortlessly read such long and complex books at my age, then good for you!

    Thanks for the interview Amanda!

    ~ Dieter Heydrich


    Hurrah! Lot's of comments to respond to!

    Quote Originally Posted by Inverarity
    Boy, that brings back memories! I haven't seen Der Fuehrer's Face in years.

    (No, I didn't see it when it was first released! I'm not that old. )

    I think the contrast between the propaganda of the three nations is very interesting. The American cartoon relies primarily on mockery and satire to deliver its message. (Along with some racial stereotypes that wouldn't pass muster today.)
    I agree with you totally - Der Fuehrer's Face is by far the most entertaining cartoon. And by racial stereotypes, I assume you're referring to the portrayal of Mussolini, right? HA HA! But seriously, Hirohito doesn't have a very flattering depiction.

    Quote Originally Posted by Inverarity
    The Nazi cartoons are a little more subtle (relatively speaking), in that their message isn't explicitly stated: it relies on visual images, and lets the viewer draw his or her own conclusions. (Okay, they're not that subtle, but as propaganda cartoons, they're quite effective: a child can get the point without the narrator actually saying who the bad guys are and why.)
    My initial reaction to watching the Nazi cartoons for the first time is difficult to express in words, so I think this image should suffice: O_O

    I would say that the imagery of the second Nazi cartoon is the most provocative - the American cartoon portrays the Nazis as buffoons, the Soviet one as savage murderers, but the Nazi image of Jews? Bugs... From OUTER SPACE. it's actually a little funny, in a dark, disturbing sort of way.

    Quote Originally Posted by Inverarity
    The Soviet cartoons, on the other hand, are just saber-rattling: "Death to Fascists and Capitalists!" Nothing subtle there at all. Considering how badly the USSR fared through most of the war, they needed that kind of pumped-up morale boosting message.
    Though the animation and the voice acting isn't the best, I really like the Soviet cartoons because they are the most honest out of all of them, i.e. "The fascists want to kill us? Well, WE'LL KILL THEM!" Unlike the cartoons of the western allies, the Soviets never considered the Anglo-American idea of differentiating between the evil Nazi and the oppressed, misled German citizen; and I don't blame them. The Soviets were fighting a completely different kind of war than the British or the Americans, since they faced utter and total annihilation if they lost. I think one of the most telling expressions of this war of "pitiless extermination" comes from Commander-in-Chief Walther von Reichenau's Oct 1941 statement to his troops, in that "The feeding of the natives and of prisoners-of-war... is an equally misunderstood humanitarian act as is the giving of cigarettes and bread."

    Seeing that the Germans sought to wipe out not just communism but the entire Russian population (okay, maybe not completely exterminate, but only enslave), I'm not surprised that the focus of Soviet propaganda would have a strong "kill or be killed" focus.

    Quote Originally Posted by Inverarity
    Cool finds. The link to the site that posted that first Nazi cartoon, though, is really disturbing.

    The wizarding world doesn't have cartoons, but I wonder if they wouldn't have something equivalent to the old radio serials, on the Wizard Wireless, with popular characters who could be used to deliver propaganda messages?
    Thanks! The interesting things you find on YouTube...

    However, I can't seem to find the link to the "really disturbing" site that posted the first Nazi cartoon. I appear to missing something, because I don't know how to find out where YouTube videos originate from if the original poster doesn't choose to provide any sort of link.

    About the Wizard Wireless, I suppose there could be popular programs which have subtle propagandistic plots rather than outright propaganda announcements. For instance, a certain radio show could have the popular character have a nasty run-in with a Muggle, and the plot for several episodes concerns the character's struggle for revenge against the oppressive Muggle as a metaphor for Grindelwald's aim of reestablishing worldwide wizarding dominance.

    Quote Originally Posted by CakeorDeath
    It does have comic books though, Ron has them in CoS, so it they could use those characters.
    Indeed he does, but I have yet to hear of any German comic, especially from the 30s-40s. As far as I am aware, comic books did not exist in Nazi Germany, for they would most likely be labeled as frivolous and degenerate foreign art forms. With that in mind, I doubt wizarding Germany would have them either.

    However, there were highly colourful Nazi childrens' books like The Poisoned Mushroom, so I expect Grindelwald's Zaubererreich would have something similar.

    Quote Originally Posted by Amanda Vega
    I love all this Fuhrer and war talk and everything. It makes the FMA enthusiast inside me happy, lol xD
    Well, and the WWII/Holocaust-scholar (using the word 'enthusiast' there would sound too strange!) happy, as well, but whatever.
    FMA?

    Anyway, I'm a WWII "scholar" too, though I find the Holocaust way too depressing to find terribly interesting. And I have to agree with you; "enthusiast" would probably send the wrong message!

    Quote Originally Posted by Amanda Vega
    TIM: just so you know, thread limit is 150 posts. That's fifteen pages, I think. And interestingly enough, I am actually Aryan - down to the physical appearance - but only for the most part. I've also got some Eastern Europe in me. But shh, don't tell Dieter!
    Well, I was wondering what the post limit was, because the NaNoWriMo threads all had different numbers of posts: 183, 158, 195, etcetera.

    Don't worry, I won't tell Dieter anything, so you're "Aryan" for all intents and purposes. But remember, he could read these posts too. And just so you know, If I lived in Nazi Germany... well, let's just say that would be extremely hazardous to my health.

    Quote Originally Posted by Amanda Vega
    MNFF general population: I don't -actually- share Dieter's views, but I'm having fun playing a character xD
    Neither do I, but I find thinking as Dieter to be a very educational experience - by getting myself to think as a Nazi would for this thread, I have a better understanding of how despicable Nazism really was. Writing my story, Für Das Größere Wohl gets a little disturbing for me sometimes...

    Now, I said that I would provide detailed analyses of each propaganda cartoon, unfortunately I don't have the energy at the moment, so I am sorry. I'll write them eventually, perhaps after my final exams!

    And thanks everyone for all the questions and comments!

    Tim the Enchanter

  5. #115
    weasleywannabe47
    Guest

    Hey!

    (Note from Wes: Tim! You endorsed Haiti in your thread! *screams with delight* Danke.
    And tell Dieter that in real life, my ancestors come from England and Ireland.
    But I'm a full blooded Southern belle!)

    I have no questions for you but, um, Haiti does...

    DIETER!!!!!
    HOW DARE YOU CALL ME AN AFRICAN UNTER-WHATEVER????!!!!!

    MY FRIENDS AREN'T HERE, SO......SIC 'IM, T-BONE!!!!!

    There we are.

    So on to the questions.

    So have you and Alexsander duelled yet?

    What's your favorite spell?

    Do you have/ had a stuffed animal. (I do. His name's Mr. Jingle-Jangle-Roo. Jayje (JAY-ge) for short.)

    What are your parents professions?

    Do you read the newspaper?

    Thanks (and sorry T-Bone was sicced on you...),
    Wes and ::HaItI!::

  6. #116
    Seventh Year Ravenclaw
    Setting Off Fireworks in Potions Class
    Tim the Enchanter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    ¡El planeta de los simios!
    Posts
    634
    Hello Haiti,

    Your dog is really ill-tempered; I had to hex it a few times to prevent being bitten.

    But anyway, I'm here to answer your questions...

    So have you and Alexsander duelled yet?

    Well, I wouldn't say a "duel," more like "ambush," but yes, I have.

    What's your favorite spell?

    One of the most useful spells I've learned in Defensive Magic class is Morsus - it shoots a kind of blue spark that stings its target, much like a bee would. The wand movement is very simple (use your wrist to wave your wand in a small circle then just point at your target) and therefore more accurate than other spells that require flicks or arm motions. Plus, only being two syllables long, it's just easier to say than some of those other spells.

    Do you have/ had a stuffed animal. (I do. His name's Mr. Jingle-Jangle-Roo. Jayje (JAY-ge) for short.)

    No I don't.

    What are your parents professions?

    My mother doesn't work - she's a hausfrau.

    Father used to have a boring desk job, but he started working for the NSDAP in 1930. He now works as an assistant to the town Gemeinschaftsleiter, but he's trying to get a promotion to become a community work leader - Arbeitsleiter.

    Do you read the newspaper?

    Of course I do.

    Well, not all the way through... just the big headlines.

    ~ Dieter Heydrich


    Thanks for the questions, weasleywannabe47! Posting in this thread is a good distraction from school.

    Oh yes, and Molly, if you happen to be reading this, I'm sorry I haven't come out with Chapter Four yet. I went a little overboard with Photoshop last week, and now I have to worry about Finals. But what I'm trying to say, is that I WILL finish the bugger in the near future, so you can beta it.

    Tim the Enchanter

  7. #117
    Nez
    Guest
    Hey! Tim, Dieter is... captivating. Sure, you want to hit him half the time, but that's a good thing I suppose - he's one of the most unique and real characters I've seen in fanfiction.

    So, Guten Tag, Dieter!

    What do you think makes a good person?

    Are you a good person?

    Can a Slav or a Jew or any other Untermensch be a good person?

    Imagine you meet a new friend. You talk to them and you find them really intelligent and caring - you like them. Then you find out they're, say, from Russia. How would you react?

    If all your thoughts, emotions, feelings - the core of who you are, your soul if you will, would be transferred into another body, would that be a completely different person? If it was a body of a Slav, would that make you less worthy?

    How do you think you'd feel about the Untermenschen had you been raised by a couple of them?

    Do you ever wish you were a Pureblood?

    What do you think about Purebloods thinking they're better than you just because their families? Can't you see a parallel to Hitler's ideology?

    Do you like the school castle? Have you went exploring it yet?

    What kinds of punishment can you get if you break the rules?

    Are there any rules at your school you find stupid?


    Auf Wiedersehen!

  8. #118
    Wizengamot Ravenclaw
    You idiot! Always playing the Hero!
    OliveOil_Med's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    My fanfiction notebook broke!
    Posts
    1,547
    Hey, Dieter. It's Molly again. Don't worry; Nate's away on a play date. It's just just me today. Here are some more questions for you:


    Has Tim told you about the four Hogwarts houses? Which one do you think you would be Sorted into?

    Do you think Tim deserves to be a Ravenclaw?

    Do you think a chimp could be trained to teach Potions?

    Have any other girls started tormenting you besides Gerta?

    Will Tim ever finish another chapter of your story?

    Brand New Story!

    Banner by lullaby_BANG. Completely awesome avi came from here!

    My brand new trailer for Snape Didn't Die by thegirllikeme to serve as a constant source of inspiration whilst I write!

  9. #119
    Seventh Year Ravenclaw
    Setting Off Fireworks in Potions Class
    Tim the Enchanter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    ¡El planeta de los simios!
    Posts
    634
    Oh good! More questions! I was getting a little lonely...

    So, hello to you, Nez. It's a pleasure to meet you.

    Now, on to your questions.

    What do you think makes a good person?

    Things like bravery, selflessness, and dedication. Putting the needs of the Reich and race before trivial matters of the self.

    Are you a good person?

    I suppose so. I'm very involved in the Deutsches Jungvolk, and I'd like to join the Schutzstaffel (SS) when I'm older.

    Can a Slav or a Jew or any other Untermensch be a good person?

    Well, they're not even fully human, so no.

    Imagine you meet a new friend. You talk to them and you find them really intelligent and caring - you like them. Then you find out they're, say, from Russia. How would you react?

    They'd probably be Aryan, but I don't know why they'd be living in Russia. Then again, Germans don't just live in Germany, you know.

    But remember, as they say, the Devil can recite scripture. A charming Jew or other Untermensch is just trying to trick you or kill you.

    If all your thoughts, emotions, feelings - the core of who you are, your soul if you will, would be transferred into another body, would that be a completely different person? If it was a body of a Slav, would that make you less worthy?

    Well, this isn't even magically possible, so there's no real point to this question.

    How do you think you'd feel about the Untermenschen had you been raised by a couple of them?

    I'd probably be too dead to have an opinion! Do you have any idea what Jews do to Aryan children if they get their hands on them? They're vicious! Or if I was raised by a family of Slavs, I'd probably starve to death or get killed by the Bolsheviks. With either kind of family, I'd try to escape.

    Do you ever wish you were a Pureblood?

    Not particularly. They don't seem to be the brightest bunch - they're completely ignorant of the world around them. They're so narrow minded that they can't see past the wizarding world and ignore everything to do with Muggles.

    What do you think about Purebloods thinking they're better than you just because their families? Can't you see a parallel to Hitler's ideology?

    A fair number of Purebloods are elitist snobs, and I don't like them. In fact, there are plenty of Purebloods who don't like those people either, like my friend Konrad. What those stuck-up wizards don't seem to understand is that magic is a gift, and they take it for granted because it's been in their families for generations.

    And no, there is no parallel to National Socialism. The Pureblood snobbery is an artificial concept of class, whereas the NSDAP is about the nation and people.

    Do you like the school castle? Have you went exploring it yet?

    I do like the castle, even though it is a bit drafty and cold. I've done a fair amount of exploring just going to classes each day, but there are still plenty of places I haven't been to yet.

    What kinds of punishment can you get if you break the rules?

    They usually make us do "Muggle" work, like sweeping floors, shovelling snow, or cleaning things without magic, which wouldn't be too bad if they'd let us wear our coats while doing so. For more serious punishments, I've heard they might curse you, but that might just be talk.

    Are there any rules at your school you find stupid?

    Certainly. I can't understand why we have to treat the Slavic students the way we would do Aryans. I fact, I wonder why Slavs are allowed into Durmstrang to begin with!

    Well, it was nice talking to you Nez.


    Now for Molly...

    Has Tim told you about the four Hogwarts houses? Which one do you think you would be Sorted into?

    He has, but only briefly. There's Gryffindor for the brave and selfless, Ravenclaw for the intelligent, Slytherin for the cunning, and Hufflepuff for the loyal and everyone else. Personally, I'd like to be in Gryffindor, as it sounds like the best house for me. I'd hate to be in Slytherin, because that sounds like the kind of house that all the Jews would be in.

    Do you think Tim deserves to be a Ravenclaw?

    I suppose. He's a lot smarter than me and he takes his schoolwork very seriously, almost to the point of obsession. He's also a pretty curious person and asks a lot of questions. So, I don't really know if he deserves to be a Ravenclaw, but he certainly exhibits very Ravenclaw-ish traits.

    Do you think a chimp could be trained to teach Potions?

    Probably not.

    Have any other girls started tormenting you besides Gerta?

    Let me get this straight. No girls, not even Gerda have been tormenting me! Some of them... just get on my nerves.

    Will Tim ever finish another chapter of your story?

    Sure, but I can't say when. The problem is that Tim isn't really writing in chronological order - he's writing down scenes from the story as they appear in his head, regardless of where they fit in the story. So he's written small bits and pieces of the story here and there, but hasn't finished the actual next chapter. Should be done sometime soon, though, now that he's on Christmas holiday.

    Well, thanks for the interview Molly. Tell Nate I said... hello.

    ~ Dieter Heydrich


    Greetings! I'm going to share my thoughts on Disney's Der Fuehrer's Face, but I'm too lazy to write about the other three cartoons, so look for them in future posts.

    Context of Production

    This cartoon came out on 1 January 1943. The war was far from over at this point, but for once the tide appeared to have turned in favour of the Allies - notably, the entire German Sixth Army had been surrounded at Stalingrad and would surrender to the Soviets one month later. Meanwhile, the British had defeated Rommel at the Battle of El Alamein in Egypt, leading to the Axis withdrawal from North Africa. In the Pacific, the Americans achieved naval superiority by delivering a crippling blow to the Japanese navy. So, things were looking a bit brighter at the start of 1943.

    Enough history! Now for the cartoon. I won't bother describing everything that happens in it, because I assume you've already watched it. Instead, I'll talk about it's message, which after all is what a piece of propaganda is all about.

    Intended Audience

    Before delving into what the cartoon says, let's go over who it was aimed for. Remember, television sets were quite rare, so this cartoon would be viewed at any number of cinemas, and would have to appeal to all age groups and professions that spent time there. Cinemas would usually play a popular movie or two all day, with newsreels and cartoons shown in between screenings. At this time, cartoons were not designed solely for child audiences as they usually are today - the way cinemas worked ensured that everyone saw them.

    However, the most important demographic group this cartoon is aimed at is without doubt the adult citizen either working in the factories or fighting at the front. I'll now explain why.

    The Message

    Let's start with the home front. All the major combatants of the war had rationing of some kind, and was more severe in some places more than others. This is exactly one of many points the cartoon portrays. People may grumble and complain about not having enough coffee to drink or shortages of meat, but this cartoon makes it abundantly clear that things are much, much worse in Germany - i.e. Donald Duck eating ersatz bread of wood. In actuality, the German food situation during the war was quite good (because they just stole food from all the countries they were occupying), but that was information that Allied audiences didn't have to know! Anyway, this cartoon puts things like rationing into perspective, with an aim of making Americans appreciate that things are nowhere near as bad as they could be.

    Furthermore, the cartoon shows Donald Duck being pushed around by bayonet wielding Nazis and forced to toil away in armaments factories. The message is that the Germans are forced to work by the Nazis, but in the United States, everyone works voluntarily. By extension, it implies that if the Axis wins, you will be in Donald's place. By exploiting this apparent contrast in working conditions, this cartoon is designed to make the audience appreciate how free they really are and that they don't have looming taskmasters, a message made abundantly clear by how Donald kisses the miniature Statue of Liberty in the end.

    And just like with the food situation, things actually weren't so bad for the average German worker, since all the very hard work was being done by slaves shipped in from the east. In fact, one of the reasons why the strategic bombing campaign against Germany barely dented Nazi war production (it actually increased!) was because of the massive and increasing use of slave labour. So, in all probability, Donald Duck should have been Russian or Polish in this cartoon, but that doesn't really go with the next message.

    That next message is that there is a clear distinction between the Nazi oppressor and the oppressed German. In the First World War, all Germans were generally portrayed as being evil, but the focus of WWII propaganda was to label the leadership rather than the general population as the evil ones. In other words, this cartoon is designed to make us feel sorry for the German who is forced to work in the factories against his will - that is why Disney decided to use Donald Duck than say, Mickey Mouse. While Mickey is strong willed and assertive (and a bit annoying), Donald is bumbling and suffers outrageous misfortunes, especially in this cartoon. Therefore, this message states that this is a war to liberate Germans (and everyone else they've occupied) from an oppressive and evil regime. In addition to the workers back home, this propaganda message is especially important in regards to the western Allied troops, who were under the strictest orders to treat the people of occupied Germany at least with civility. The idea of Germans being subjugated by their own government is quite different than the Soviet attitude, but that is for a different cartoon and different essay (for lack of a better term). Anyway, the defeated Germany of WWII was treated quite differently compared to that of the First World War - the focus was on reconstruction, rather than punishment.

    Finally, there is the message that the Nazis themselves are buffoons - this is intended for all audiences, but probably would have more relevance with the troops. I think this doesn't require much analysis, because it is standard propaganda practice to demean enemy. In this case, the Nazi leaders are simply ridiculed, with the obvious message that they are not to be taken seriously.

    Whew! I'm getting tired of writing, so I'll just leave it at that for now, and I'll go over the Soviet and German cartoons later. Sorry, but as much as I tried, I could not find any British cartoons on YouTube.

    Now... on to author responses!

    Quote Originally Posted by Nez
    Hey! Tim, Dieter is... captivating. Sure, you want to hit him half the time, but that's a good thing I suppose - he's one of the most unique and real characters I've seen in fanfiction.
    Thanks - I'm glad you think that way! I can't really remember why I made Dieter, but it's probably that I wanted to do something completely different and unseen before. And I think I've succeeded!

    And Molly, if you're reading this. Yes, I have in fact been writing chapter four... slowly. It's coming together, though. Perhaps I should give myself deadlines for fanfic writing, then I'll come out with chapters quicker... in theory.

    And with that said, I'm going to go back to typing chapter four...

    Tim the Enchanter

  10. #120
    Drurbane
    Guest
    Dieter, my son! I wish to commune with you! Answer my questions, or suffer the consequences, you godless little Nazi man, you!

    A) Just how strong is your devotion to Hiler now that you've found Grindelwald? Which one do you respect more?

    B) Do you like buckets?

    C) Did you ever read any fantasy books in the past? What is your opinion of the whole fantasy genre? Do you find it laughable, now that you know what the real magical world is like?

    D) What did you think of those cartoons, then?

    E) Herr Goebbels is a silly little man, isn't he? Did you hear he was engaged to a Jewish girl?

    -Your untermensch (Or however it is spelt) FRIEND, Zoheb.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •