Thread: Aethonan

Hybrid View

Wizengamot Ravenclaw
    You idiot! Always playing the Hero!

Aethonan

Here a topic where all you horse-lovers on the site could really help out.

I know the Aethonan is a chestnut-colored horse found primarily in Britain. But now I am looking a horse breed to model it after. I need the names of a few breeds native to the United Kingdom, particularily show horses.

Thank you!

Brand New Story!

Banner by lullaby_BANG. Completely awesome avi came from here!

My brand new trailer for Snape Didn't Die by thegirllikeme to serve as a constant source of inspiration whilst I write!

MarieEvans760
    The Anglo Arabian, is a beautiful white breed, that is native to England and France. Here is a link I found for it.

http://www.furrycritter.com/resource...o_Arabians.htm

There is a breed called the Breton breed. It isn't native to Britain, but its was found in the mountains of Medieval Brittany, and they were used as war horses during the Crusades. So I believe that they could be found in England still, and if you wanted to use that in part of your story, it would have some great historical richness.

The best one I can recommend is the Cleveland Bay, which is the one I KNOW is from Britain, I looked up some info on it and here's what I found

From http://www.kyhorsepark.com
    The Cleveland Bay originated in Britain, in the Cleveland area of Northern Yorkshire, and is the oldest of the indigenous breed of English horses. Yorkshire is known as the source of two breeds, the Thoroughbred and the Cleveland Bay. The Cleveland Bay breed is thought to have evolved from crossing native bay colored mares with Oriental stallions during the 17th century. Shaped by a harsh environment, a horse of durability, longevity and quiet disposition resulted. These characteristics, combined with the uniformity of bay color, size, and substance, developed a versatile breed used as hunt horse, coach or packhorse, and as an agricultural worker. Originally known as the Chapman horse, after the salesmen who exclusively used Cleveland Bays, the breed excelled as an all-rounder. During the peak of the breed's popularity in the late 1880s, the Cleveland Bay Horse Society of Great Britain published the first volume of its Stud Book, which contained stallions and mares selected for the purity of blood.
    It would be a great show horse for sure.

I hoped that helped and feel free to PM me if you need additional help. I grew up raising horses, and my best friend is starting Grad School to be a Equestrian Veterinarian!

Marie

Wizengamot Ravenclaw
    You idiot! Always playing the Hero!
    Excellent! How about any horses that are especially know for their chestnut coloring?

Chante', I know you're out there!

Brand New Story!

Banner by lullaby_BANG. Completely awesome avi came from here!

My brand new trailer for Snape Didn't Die by thegirllikeme to serve as a constant source of inspiration whilst I write!

vampitude
    I don't know much about horses, so sorry if this doesn't help at all .

Haflingers are very light chestnut horses. They're sometimes so light they're mistaken for palominos. (And if I read the article correctly, they're always chestnut coloured. Though I may be mistaken.)

Hope this helped!

Rose

Amanda Vega
    Molly, I'm ashamed! You call Chante' but not me!? Ahh, that's all right [: I forgive you xD

BE PREPARED FOR A RIDICULOUSLY LONG AND ONLY SOMEWHAT WELL-RESEARCHED POST.

Marie: The Anglo-Arabian was originally a cross between a Thoroughbred and an Arabian, but is now a breed of its own (Although crossing a Thoroughbred and an Arab will still hail an Anglo!) They are almost always bay or chestnut, actually - the white horse is a poetic vision which occurs far more rarely.
    Bretons are typically chestnut, however, they are by no means a 'show horse,' despite the fact that technically, any horse can show - they are very stocky drafts. They're no typically saddle horses, and are usually used for draft work, especially in hot climates, such as the Mediterranean.

Rose: I used to have a Haflinger cross [: They are, in fact, always chestnut, but have flaxen manes and tails.

Cleveland bays could have worked - except for the fact that they are always, almost without exception, bay. Bays are a variation of the black gene, not the chestnut. This couldn't actually work.

Chestnut is known in some areas as sorrel - but not in England! I'd keep that in mind, as I'm assuming that's where the story takes place. Sorrel basically shouldn't exist, despite the fact that the two are genetically the exact same gene.

Chestnut is one of the two base colours in horses. Every equine colour is either modelled after the black gene or the chestnut gene (the black is dominant). Chestnut or one of its manifestations is seen in almost every single breed of horse.
    Chestnut is typically red-brown, but genetically, palominos, cremellos, chestnut piebalds/skewbalds (pintos), red duns, gold champagnes, and red/strawberry roans are all 'chestnut.' No horse with black on him/her, however - true black, a very dark shade of brown does not count - can be chestnut.

Since chestnut is such a universal colour, it's hard to pick breeds that are often chestnut. The list here includes breeds that are commonly chestnut. I've tried to provide pictures, but there are no promises. Also, it only includes breeds that are either native to England, areas near it, or underwent development there, so there are some familiar faces who may be missing:

- Arabian (typically dished (concave) face; stereotypically very showy.)
    - Thoroughbred (this is your best bet, I'd think. The Thoroughbred underwent a great deal of its major development in England, and although they come in all solid colours, chestnut is one of the most common.)
    - Anglo Arab (previously explained.)
    - Selle Francais (French horse, but chestnut is more common than any colour. Very athletic.)
    - Irish Warmblood (Irish Draft crossed with Thoroughbred. Come in all colours, but I've seen a lot of chestnuts. Very all-around, hunter type horse, which means it can travel anywhere, basically, and do all types of work.)
    - Haflinger (The pic's of a Haflinger cross, but it's still a good representation. From Austria. Technically ponies, they're always chestnut with a flaxen mane and tail. This is not the same as palomino - and technically, since they're still chestnut, they're acceptable.)
    - New Forest Pony (Again, ponies, but they're excellent all-around and still wander around freely in the forests of Britain. I know one personally and she's wonderful [: )
    - Connemara (Another pony. Still roam free in Ireland - they're excellent mounts in all areas of riding, used for both work and showing. Very popular show ponies around the world. Larger ponies, too. Generally grey, chestnut appears, however, it is not the most popular colour. Spanish look - very refined.)

Any of these would work - I'd lean toward the Thoroughbred and Connemara, or Irish Warmblood if you'd like them a bit stockier. Also, keep in mind that any of these could be crossed [: Personally I see the Aethonan as a cross between a Suffolk (or Suffolk Punch - a drafty, always-chestnut English cold blood) and the Connemara, but that's just me. It's up to you [:

EDIT: Okay, random, but just thought I'd mention: literally the second before I was about to post this, my entire internet shut down! Gah, I hate that! And I totally thought I had lost this whole thing xD But I managed to save it, thank goodness. Okay, random story over [: