Thread: At what age does being a Squib become apparrent?

Hufflepuff at Heart

At what age does being a Squib become apparrent?

Sorry for the long title - I'm just wondering is there a certain age by which a child should have displayed magic before they are considered a Squib?

Thanks!

Lizzy
    I'm pretty sure that in DH they said it was seven. Neville didn't show any until he was eight - that's why they thought he was a Squib.

Hufflepuff at Heart
    Great! Thanks, Leslie!

(Sigh 505050505050505050505050)

Mudblood_and_Proud_of_it
    I guess the cutoff would definitely be eleven, right? Because afterward they couldn’t really go to Hogwarts.

Mapoi

Josh
    I think in DH they say that Arianna was thought to be a squib as she hadn't shown any magical talent by 8, the age most wizard and witches had shown magical potential. Though I'm sure 11 is the cut off date though they may be some late ones.

~Josh

A.H.
    If I'm not mistaken, magical children can start showing signs of magic at birth, and onward. It's probably something that parents would expect, so if their child isn't showing any sign at all, they'd probably start to consider the possibility of their child being a squib earlier than age seven.

However, as it's already stated, seven is the age where nearly all children finally show a sign of magic ability. Considering every phrase about the subject was along the lines of "usually by" or "around the time" you probably have some wiggle room. You could probably go up to age ten, if it was needed.

/Arianna

Hufflepuff at Heart
    Thanks, Mapoi and Arianna!

I was hoping that it might be younger than eleven, and if I could have it even younger than seven that would be handy too.

Thanks again!

Inverarity
    I think like other (Muggle) signs of childhood development, there's probably an average age at which magic begins to manifest itself in a wizarding child, but there will be children who display signs of magic well before or well after that. If you think of it like a bell curve, then the average age (let's pick seven as an arbitrary age, though there isn't much in canon to indicate when it would actually be) is the point at which about half of all wizarding children will have already displayed magic. That means, of course, that half will not yet have displayed magic by that age.

Again, assuming seven is your average, then depending on how narrow and how steep you decide that bell curve is, it might be fairly common or very unusual for a child not to show magic by age eight. The further you get from the top of the curve, in either direction, the more unusual it will be, so if you decide on, say, an average age of seven and a standard deviation of one year, then it would be rare but not unheard of for children to display magic as early as 3-4 and as late as 10-11, but theoretically possible for magic to manifest even earlier than that (or not until later).

That's also assuming the curve has the same slope on both sides; it might be that the range of starting points varies a great deal (e.g., it's not uncommon for children to start showing magic any time from birth to age eight), but that it's extremely rare for someone not to show magic by age nine or ten.

Because of Neville, it's implied that no signs of magic by age eight is cause for worrying that a child is a squib. So I'd guess it's extremely rare, or unheard of, for a child who's not a squib not to have shown magic by age eleven.