Thread: Mad-Eye/Auror Questions

Hybrid View

cirelondiel

Mad-Eye/Auror Questions

Since the Lexicon is playing up on me, I'm hoping that some of you can help me out with a few things.

~ Do we know when Mad-Eye Moody retired?
    ~ The Auror Department is a division of the Department for Magical Law Enforcement, correct? Alastor was never head of the Auror department, was he? And who would have been head of the Auror and Magical Law Enforcement departments around the time Moody retired? (If we don't know, do you have any ideas of possibilities?)
    ~ Do we know about any of the wacky things he did in his later years as an Auror?
    ~ Do we know when/how he got any of his scars or injuries?
    ~ (Edit to add: ) The names of any Aurors who might have been fairly new to the job around the time of Moody's retirement would be really helpful, too.

I think that a lot of that stuff has never been specified by JKR, but I just want to make sure I don't put any big canon errors in my fic, and maybe I'll even find some useful ideas.

Thanks to anyone who can help!

-- Chelsea

Third Year Hufflepuff
    Hut-on-the-Rock, The Sea

I don't think so. Before 1994. We know he was working at the end of the First War.

~ The Auror Department is a division of the Department for Magical Law Enforcement, correct? Alastor was never head of the Auror department, was he? And who would have been head of the Auror and Magical Law Enforcement departments around the time Moody retired? (If we don't know, do you have any ideas of possibilities?)

Depends on when you set his retirement it could have been Rufus Scrimuger.

~ Do we know about any of the wacky things he did in his later years as an Auror?

Suggestions would be

Starting to only drink from the hip flask.
    Using Sneakoscopes and other dark detectors on his colluges.
    Stunning (or body binding) someone if they walked behind him too fast.

Evester
    Hey Chelsea!

Not sure, but I feel like it wasn't that long before the start of the series.

~ The Auror Department is a division of the Department for Magical Law Enforcement, correct? Alastor was never head of the Auror department, was he?
    No.

And who would have been head of the Auror and Magical Law Enforcement departments around the time Moody retired? (If we don't know, do you have any ideas of possibilities?)
    I agree with Elf, perhaps Rufus Scrimgeour.

In addition to those already stated, didn't someone mention in GoF him having smashed a clock sent as a birthday gift because he thought it was a basilisk egg? *seems to remember that for some random reason*

~ Do we know when/how he got any of his scars or injuries?
    Oh, oh, I know this, his nose got a "chunk out of it" from a battle with an DE, but I can't remember the name. Try looking in the trial scenes (the lestranges, karkaroff, bagman) in GoF, cause I remember him talking about that kind of thing there.

~ (Edit to add: ) The names of any Aurors who might have been fairly new to the job around the time of Moody's retirement would be really helpful, too.
    Tonks, for one. She was supposed to have been one of his favorite new aurors. Maybe Dawlish? He doesn't seem all that good, so maybe he is rather new and would have been there when Moody was there.

Sorry to be so vague, but good luck and I'll edit back if I remember anything else.

~Eve

AurorKeefy
    Tonks, for one. She was supposed to have been one of his favorite new aurors. Maybe Dawlish? He doesn't seem all that good, so maybe he is rather new and would have been there when Moody was there.
    Well, Tonks would have a hard job being one of Moody's favourite new Aurors, since she qualified at the start of Goblet of Fire, at which point Moody was most certainly retired. It is possible that Moody might have been around during her training, but it seems implied that he had been an ex-Auror for some time before he took up the teaching position, so probably not. Sorry about that.

It is possible that Kingsley might have been relatively new. I know he's older than Tonks by some way, but if Moody retired shortly following the 1st war, then he might've been farily new then. He would certainly have been around. The only other Auror who springs to mind is Dawlish, aka Captain Incompetance. I doubt Moody had much to do with him though, he seems to follow rank a little too much, and is also fiercely poor at his job. Then again, Moody himself doesn't have a great track record for winning fights, so who knows.

The Auror Department is a division of the Department for Magical Law Enforcement, correct? Alastor was never head of the Auror department, was he?

This is never stated in canon, though we can't be certain that it isn't true. That said, I'd be inclined to think not. Moody always seemed a little more of a front line fighter, and it would probably have been mentioned. So no.

And who would have been head of the Auror and Magical Law Enforcement departments around the time Moody retired? (If we don't know, do you have any ideas of possibilities?)

Depends when Moody retired. If it was very soon after the first war, then the Head of Department would surely have been Barty Crouch snr. If he lasted a little longer, then it's likely to be either Scrimgeour or someone we're never heard of.

Personally, I'd go with the former.

Do we know about any of the wacky things he did in his later years as an Auror?

As Evester rightly states, the incident with the carriage clock is the most famous one. It's Karkaroff himself who states that, by the way. Other than that, I don't believe there is anything else in canon.]

EDIT: In my Evil Kneazle Series, Moody retires in the summer of 1990. This is a minor detail, but if you decide to keep him along a little past the end of the first war, it'd be lovely to share a date. Tying together fictions = wonderful!