Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Head boy/girl

Pheonix Tears

Head boy/girl

The lexicon doesn't seem to be working for me. My computer keeps telling me that 'HTTP 404 Not Found' and seems to be getting quite angry about it. So I came to the next best thing I started looking through old threads but I couldn't see anything. It is possible that I just missed it though.

Okay, so what exactly do the head boy and girl do? They have the authority to take away points, yes? But apart from doing that, and instructing prefects what to do, (which reminds me, what do they do as well?) what do they do? Are they there to provide a bridge between the students and the professors or something completely different... I don't think it's specified in the books, so any ideas would be appreciated.

I'd be delighted if people could enlighten me

Thanks!

-elle

MC Kair
    Yeah the lexicon page wouldn't open for me either so I checked the HP encyclopedia and this is what it said about prefects:

Prefects are fifth-year and sixth-year students appointed by the headmaster at the beginning of the school year (the letter and badge comes with the book lists). When choosing a prefect, the headmaster will choose someone respected by both students and staff, with good leadership qualities, and able to keep up with their schoolwork in addition to their prefect responsibilities. We don't know if there are seventh-year prefects.

Ron Weasley and Hermione Granger were the Gryffindor fifth-year and sixth-year prefects. Prefects at Hogwarts supervise the younger students and maintain order and discipline in their houses. In return, they are given minor disciplinary powers, which are limited to docking house points from misbehaving students (some prefects - Ron, for example - seem to have forgotten that they're allowed to do this). Certain Slytherin prefects used the prefect position as an opportunity to bully other students and get away with it.

A few perks came with the responsibility of being a prefect. The prefects have two train compartments to themselves at the front of the Hogwarts Express, and they also have their own bathroom, which has a white marble tub the size of a small swimming pool with a hundred jeweled taps giving water, various bubble baths, etc

Hope that helped

-Maria

Honigkuchenpferd Hufflepuff
    "Greetings From Egypt..."
    Strange. For me the online HP lexicon works.

Anyway, that's what it says about Head Girl and Head Boy:

There is one Head Boy and one Head Girl each year at Hogwarts. These are students in their seventh year who are given some of the responsibility of maintaining order and administering discipline. They are also in charge of the Prefects. Percy Weasley was Head Boy in his seventh year. James and Lily were also Head Boy and Girl. Apparently, one does not have to be a Prefect every year to become Head Boy, since James was not a Prefect in his fifth year but was made Head Boy in his seventh.
    And this part is in there for Prefects:

Students who accept some responsibility for maintaining order and discipline at Hogwarts. There are a number of Prefects from each house: two from each house in fifth year for sure. They are under the jurisdiction of the Head Boy and Girl. Percy Weasley was made a Prefect in his fifth and sixth years, then made Head Boy in his seventh year. Ron and Hermione were Gryffindor Prefects in their fifth year.
    Sorry, there isn't anything else. I hope to have helped at least a bit, though.

~Bine
    No longer a mod and no longer in charge of any forums.

author ~*~ BA banner ~*~ giggler
    Banners by Tiffany and Samarie ^

Third Year Slytherin
    Bumper Cars in Gringotts
    I would think they would choose two of the best students for the positions. I don't mean students merely academically either. It would include extra-curriculars (tutoring or Quidditch), over-all personality (you wouldn't want to appoint someone who's always looking for a fight or something), and leadership qualities. I think of them as somwhat the valedictorians. In the case of a Tri-Wizard tournament, they would be like ambassadors to the other schools.

This is all from my own head. Some may be plausible, some may be pure bologna. Whatever it is, it's my view on the Head Boys and Girls. Hopefully, it's helpful in some way.

Smiles,
    Luna

Pheonix Tears
    Oooh, thanks everyone.
    Just one thing though, Luna, what's a valedictorians. I don't think it's a british thing, which is probably why I've never heard of it. Either that or I'm incredibly unobservant.

-elle!

Wizengamot Ravenclaw
    You idiot! Always playing the Hero!
    No, we have valedictorians in the U.S. too. It's just a fancy name for the student who had the highest collective grades during their acedemic career. Usually they are given special recognition at the graduation ceremony and often give a speech to their class.

Plus, it has all kinds of perks when applying for a job.

Brand New Story!

Banner by lullaby_BANG. Completely awesome avi came from here!

My brand new trailer for Snape Didn't Die by thegirllikeme to serve as a constant source of inspiration whilst I write!

MC Kair
    A valedictorian is person that is usually elected by their class to speak at Graduation. This person usually has high grades and participaties in a lot of school activities. Basically an overall good rolemodel. They usually have to prepare their speech ahead of time and present it to the graduating class so that they can vote. In some schools the teachers and principal pick out the Valedictorian. We have them in Canada as well.

Hope that helped.

-Maria

i AM lily potter
    If you still need help on the last question, a lot of fanfiction writers make the Head Boy and Girl patrol the corridors after hours. However, I don't think there is any canon evidence and I don't think that Dumbledore would approve of his pupils losing so much sleep. Since there isn't much canon evidence of what they do, you can probably imagine up some jobs for them. These might include planning events, and, (as was mentioned previously,) tutoring. I can't think of much else. Hope I helped!
    --Victoria

Wizengamot Ravenclaw
    You idiot! Always playing the Hero!
    In my somewhat synical opinion, I always though of the position of Head Boy and Girl as a somewhat inflated title, and nothing else.

I think back to my school days and recall the class president and vice president. They would preside over the student counsel meetings (who also had no really power in the school), decide what color crepe paper would be used to decorate for the school dance, and paint posters for the next school assembly, but certainly weren't given any real power over the student body. The teachers weren't so stupid as to put a couple of teenagers in charge of any aspect of our educations.

Anyway, this is all I see the title to be. And it would certainly make the twins' teasing of Percy a lot more plausible given this explaination.

Brand New Story!

Banner by lullaby_BANG. Completely awesome avi came from here!

My brand new trailer for Snape Didn't Die by thegirllikeme to serve as a constant source of inspiration whilst I write!

Pheonix Tears
    Wow, thanks everyone. This is exactly what I was looking for/needed!

Mods, feel free to lock this thread.

-elle