Page 8 of 16 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: AUSTRALIAN Culture and Language Help!

cirelondiel
    Er... Steve Irwin certainly had a really strong, broad accent, the type that we cringe at when non-Aussies try to imitate it. I don't know about Bindi, but she's Australian through and through, so it's certainly not fake or exaggerated at all. It's been ages since I've heard her voice, but I think she pretty much sounds like your average little Australian girl.

And to your second question - nope. We're not at all like the US and UK in that respect. There are some slight dialect differences between states, but they're mostly just minor vocabulary issues. Pronunciation of a few sounds may vary slightly, but generally, I don't think you can tell where someone's from from their accent. You'd have to listen very hard and be used to Aussie accents to be able to pick up the few tiny clues there could be.

-- Chels

Wizengamot Ravenclaw
    You idiot! Always playing the Hero!
    Hm, seems like I'm getting some conflicting opinions. I'm not really going to be using any of the dialogue I hear from Bindi in my story. I just want a voice to associate with her so my OC will stop sounding American in my head! It is a problem with all my characters.

What about other things I could watch to get a good idea of an Australian accent? Was The Saddle Club filmed in Australia, or was that New Zealand? Does anyone have any suggestions?

Brand New Story!

Banner by lullaby_BANG. Completely awesome avi came from here!

My brand new trailer for Snape Didn't Die by thegirllikeme to serve as a constant source of inspiration whilst I write!

Wizengamot Ravenclaw
    Double posting to ask a question about Australian pets. I'm not looking for ordinary pets like a cat or a dog. Walking into a pet store, but would you see in terms of reptiles, amphibians, fuzzy creature that are somewhat nontypical?

Let me know.

Brand New Story!

My brand new trailer for Snape Didn't Die by thegirllikeme to serve as a constant source of inspiration whilst I write!

Seventh Year Ravenclaw
    Setting Off Fireworks in Potions Class
    Quote Originally Posted by OliveOil_Med
    Double posting to ask a question about Australian pets. I'm not looking for ordinary pets like a cat or a dog. Walking into a pet store, but would you see in terms of reptiles, amphibians, fuzzy creature that are somewhat nontypical?

Let me know.
    Well, you can go with the stereotypical Australian animals like koalas, kangaroos, platypodes, emus, that sort of thing. You probably wouldn't find them in a Muggle pet store (I suspect many of these are protected species and illegal for private ownership), but you might be able to buy them in a wizarding menagerie.

Tim the Enchanter

cirelondiel
    Oh yeah, Lydia's probably right. I don't know, I never really paid attention but now that it's been mentioned, I think she does speak strangely...

Well, your typical Muggle pet shop (and it would be called a shop, not a store) has lots of cats, dogs, rabbit and guinea pigs and mice and other fluffy things like that, birds (definitely budgies and canaries, maybe some finches and a cockatoo), fish (goldfish!), crazy crabs (aka hermit crabs)... hmm, I guess that's it, really? You can also keep some snakes and lizards as pets... and tortoises, I suppose? *really not an animal person*

As for native Australian animals as Tim suggested, well, I suppose it depends if wizards adhere to Muggle laws regarding these things or not Just remember that kangaroos can be dangerous, and koalas can be boring (they just sleep and occasionally wake up to eat!) and so on... emus are very large and probably dangerous too, I guess...

Just do a bit of research and consider the magical community's attitude to native species, I suppose.

-- Chels

EDIT: Ah, I just searched for Bindi Irwin on YouTube... she is strange sounding, there are some hints of Americaness... Molly, I'm going to try to find some links with authentic accents to PM you

Wizengamot Ravenclaw
    I probably should have specified. The OC I'm writing comes from a Muggle family, so I'm looking for things you would find in an Australian Muggle pet store.

Brand New Story!

Azhure
    Well, you just find the normal sort of animals in an Australian pet store. As Chelsea said, there are cats, dogs, birds, fish, rabbits, guinea pigs, the occasional hermit crab, lizards and snakes -- with the last two, you probably won't find them in every pet store, though.

Fourth Year Ravenclaw
    Snape Hates Me

Australian Pets stores pretty much would be very similar to American pet stores.

However, some people a few streets over from us from us actually owned an emu. (You could see it when you drove past). I have no idea how they got it, but they did have one as a pet. Obviously this is not common, and you would have to live in the outer suburbs or the country. You might be able to get them from farms but not pet stores.

Similarly, you don't see Kangaroos in the suburbs, but they're quite common in the country. (But not as pets)

Koalas are endangered species. So definitely a no on the Koalas.

Saddle Club accents are pretty Aussie. I just watched some one youtube to check (glad I won't have to do that again.) However, I think one of the girls has an odd accent, so I'd use the girl Lisa as a better idea or some of the adults on the show.

Edit: You would find some interesting native birds in a pet store though. Cockatos for example.
    Write--Poem--Twitter

A Different View On Love Now Complete!
    Banner by amazing minnabird

Wizengamot Ravenclaw
    Alright, I did a fair amount of writing tonight, and I find a few holes where culture questions need to be filled in. Maybe you all could help me out on that front.

What would be a menu for a typical supper? I'm talking about a whole family sitting around the dinner table-type meal. And do you guys do the whole coffee-and-dessert thing after supper, or is there something more appropriate?

Just how common is it for someone to have a pet rabbit?

You also mentioned native birds. What are some others that are kept as pets?

What are some saltwater fish that could be found off the coast of Victoria (I mean small fish, like you might see in an aquarium)?

What were some popular names given to babies in the late ninties?

The setting of the story is a rather small coastal town in Victoria. What are some things people would likely do for fun if company were visiting? And do you guys use 'towns' or 'villages'?

Also, some Australian terms and slang that younger people would use would be wonderful as well!

Brand New Story!

emck
    What would be a menu for a typical supper? I'm talking about a whole family sitting around the dinner table-type meal. And do you guys do the whole coffee-and-dessert thig after supper, or is there something more appropriate?

Supper? Do you mean dinner? I hope so... Well, if you want to go traditional, steak, potatoes and vegies are very common, but anything from chinese stir-frys to pizza would be appropriate, and the whole 'meat and two veg' thing is a little cliche. Coffee and dessert is probably a little formal for a family meal, but like, ice cream or fruit salad or maybe cake is OK, depending on how healthy you want your people to be...

Also...I don't know about the reat of Australia, but for us supper is kind of like morning/afternoon tea, except late at night. Or, if you're at boarding school, supper is the meal between prep (study) times, and consists mainly of milo and toast.

Just how common is it for someone to have a pet rabbit?

That depends mostly on where you live. If you're in Queensland...it's kind of illegal - as in, a $30000 fine illegal. In NSW Victoria, South Australia, the ACT, Tasmania and WA you can have rabbits...they're not entirely uncommon, though dogs and cats are more likely, especially in the suburbs. In NT, you need a license for more than one rabbit. You might want to check that, though...I think there are some other regulations...

You also mentioned native birds. What are some others that are kept as pets?

Cockatoos, Lorikeets, Galahs, Cockatiels? I don't really know native birds that well...are budgies native? If so, definitly budgies. Everyone has budgies, they're cute and colourful and hard to kill.

What are some saltwater fish that could be found off the coast of Victoria (I mean small fish, like you might see in an aquarium)?

If you're taking about an aquarium, just watch Finding Nemo and all of those fish would be in one...but in not in the ocean, Victoria's too cold...I'm not much help with that one, I've only been to Melbourne, not anywhere else...

What were some popular names given to babies in the late ninties?

Well that's an easy one. EMILY!!! No, really, it was...I'm not being selfish or anything...Also Sarah, Jessica, Louise/a, Samantha, Jennifer, C/Kaitlin, Sophie, Isabel for girls, and Samuel, Ben, Daniel, Luke, Micheal, Mitchell, Adam...generally pretty standard...

The setting of the story is a rather small coastal town in Victoria. What are some things people would likely do for fun if company were visiting? And do you guys use 'towns' or 'villages'? Towns, definitely towns...maybe go to the beach? Unless it's cold...and Victoria's pretty cold, I think. Again, not much help there...

Also, some Australian terms and slang that younger people would use would be wonderful as well! Please use ranga. PLEASE!!! It means redhead...watch this clip: Summer Heights High* (maybe it's just an Australian thing...)
    *I should probably warn you, there is swearing in this clip...it's probably not advisable for young/impressionalble viewers...