Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: AUSTRALIAN Culture and Language Help!

Azhure
    Okay, in Victoria the schooling is a little different - and I think NSW. We start at five years old, with Preparatory (better known as 'Prep') and then we go up to grade six in primary school. After that is high school, where it goes from year seven to year twelve.

~~Azhure~~

cirelondiel
    Well, even I'm learning a lot in this thread, because in WA we go to kindergarten/kindy, then pre-primary (those two are not compulsory), then year one to year twelve (starting high school in year eight). Our final exams in year twelve (for university entrance) are called the TEE, which is a term that I don't think is used in other states. Each state has a different education system, which can be pretty confusing.

Katelyn/Kaitlin/Caitlin/numerous other variants of that name... is such a common name. I don't know why I didn't think of that. More names: Jordan, Nathan, Lachlan, Henry, Tara, Monique, Monica, Paige... that's a few more off the top of my head right now.

Hope this helps!
    -- Chelsea

ms. leading
    Yeah, NSW is the same for school as Vic, except we call prep 'kindergarten' or 'kindy', if you're lazy.

Claire or Clare is also a pretty popular name. For the boys, Ben, and even Daniel.

Edit: Yeah, so what Vic calls kindergarten, we call pre-school. It's all very confusing. You think we could at least make it all the same, but no.
    ~ Cassie

Azhure
    We have kindergarten, but it's before Prep - and it's fairly optional.

~~Azhure~~

BleedINink
    Quote Originally Posted by Azhure
    Barrack - To cheer (I think that's called 'rooting' in other countries, but don't say 'rooting' here - it means... well... having relations... *grins at Mods innocently*)
    I am guessing Root isn't a popular last name there...?

Fourth Year Gryffindor
    Snape Hates Me
    I've asked this in the Being British thread, but I'd also like to know if there is some particularly Aussie way of saying something is really funny. I have characters with ties to Australia and I'd like to highlight it. For example, here in my neck of the woods, one might say something is a real hoot. Do you have anything like that? Thanks.

jenny b
    Well, where I come from, we tend to say 'that's a crack up' a lot. Or any variants of that, like 'he cracks me up' or 'you're a crack up'. Cracking up being laughing. That's the only thing that comes to mind at the moment, and I don't even know if that's just an Aussie thing.

Fifth Year Hufflepuff
    People Hate Me for Losing Points
    Hey! I'm writing a fic about Harry's twin sis. She was brought up in Australia for the first 15 years of her life. Her name is Natasha Osborne (Osborne is the surname of her Foster Parents). Now a few questions for that fic:

Where should the school be? What should I name the school? I was personally thinking Elmbark School of Magic...

She wasnt born in Australia (DUH!) Her foster Parents are British, well, her foster dad works in the British Ministry, in the Department of International Magical Cooperation, so he was posted to Australia for some reason when Natasha was 1 year old. Would she be able to become an Australian citizen after staying there for fifteen years?

What would their culture be like? As in their school life, teachers, behaviour towards other students, etc?

What type of wands should they have, as in what type of wood?

Would they be as enthusiastic about Quidditch as the Hogwarts students are?

What type of uniforms should they wear? Like, should they wear robes, or tops and skirt/pants?

That is all for now...I might come back for more questions soon!
    Thanks for all your help!

{iBAbanner!} ~♥~ {iDrabble!} ~♥~ {iExcerpt!} ~♥~ {iPuff!}

Awesomical banner by TM_WandStick/Toni!
    Chapter 12 up!

babekitty_92
    Well since I'm an Aussie (I'm in Victoria) myself, I guess I should fire away with answers!

In terms of school, you have to be five-years-old by April 30th to start Prep (otherwise you wait till the next year, however some parents keep their kids back anyway regardless of whether they can start early).

From Prep, you go grades 1-6 and then you enter High School and complete years 7-12. In years 11 and 12 you choose whether to complete VCE (Victorian Certificate of Education) or VCAL (Victorian Certificate of Applied Learning). You do VCE if you want to go to Uni or TAFE and VCAL is more to help you get apprenticeships in hairdressing, carpentry, etc. If you need more information on VCE/VCAL drop me a PM and I'll help you out more. It'll get too confusing if I post anymore in here about it.

Popular names - The most popular in my area is Megan, Jess, Emily, Kate, Samantha, Jaimi, Caitlin, James, Daniel, Sam, Tom, Matt, Will, Luke, and too many more.

Where should the school be? What should I name the school? I was personally thinking Elmbark School of Magic...
    It honestly depends what type of area you want. Are you wanting outback/bush or more outer-suburbs, beach, etc. ?
    Also, what you name the school has to fit in - for example, if you head up towards the Murray river towns on the border of Victoria like Echuca, Shepparton, Deniliquin (I used to live up that area so I know them well), one of the Private school's I think is called 'St Josephs College'. Only expensive Private schools (Like Fintona Girls School and Our Lady of Sion) have fancy names, but even then Xavier College is one of the most prestigious boys schools and it's not that fancy. However I don't think they're considered so great at the moment after their muck-up day...
    She wasnt born in Australia (DUH!) Her foster Parents are British, well, her foster dad works in the British Ministry, in the Department of International Magical Cooperation, so he was posted to Australia for some reason when Natasha was 1 year old. Would she be able to become an Australian citizen after staying there for fifteen years?
    My understanding (I never paid attention in Commerce and Law class in year ten ) is after two years you can apply to be a Citizen. If you look on the Australian Government site for it I am sure it could give you an exact answer.
    What would their culture be like? As in their school life, teachers, behaviour towards other students, etc?
    Teacher's at Public Schools are generally laid back (however, come exam time...) and they do a lot of group discussions and questions together (well, my classes always do.). There's not a lot of 'lectures' as such, but sometimes it might be one class of all board notes and the next all discussions and activities relating.

Behaviour towards other students - we love nicknames, first of all. Everyone at work (and I work with a lot of my friends so it's spread) calls me Pip (AKA Pippy Long-stocking). Teachers even use the nicknames - sometimes it's a shortened version of the surname or the surname with a 'y' added (like 'Glenny', for example). Other's are either people mucking around (like one guy known by everyone as 'Mullet' for his hair) or from an embarrassing moments that generally occur in year seven and stick forever.
    We tend to laugh a lot at each other (whether or not it's being mean or nice) and most people only grow up in year 11 or 12 and that's because all of the idiots generally drop out end of year 10 (aged 16). Also, in Victoria, Aussie Rules Football (AKA 'footy') is so popular and a lot of my childhood memories is learning to play footy on a Friday afternoon for PE.

Would they be as enthusiastic about Quidditch as the Hogwarts students are?
    Um, well I suppose because it's a sport I think they would be since we love our sports but I think if there was another sport you could create it might work well too.

What type of uniforms should they wear? Like, should they wear robes, or tops and skirt/pants?
    Well most schools in Victoria (I'm not so sure on other states and territories so correct me here everyone interstate) have a compulsory uniform and that's generally a school dress, skirt, shorts, shirt and/or polo top, whinsheater and pants. I imagined a sort of 'over robe' as well as a uniform (like the Potter movies suggest) but it's honestly up to you. Generally as a side note however, only the Private/Catholic/top Government schools wear ties and blazers (and sometimes the funny hats too).

I've asked this in the Being British thread, but I'd also like to know if there is some particularly Aussie way of saying something is really funny.
    Um, some slang include 'what a pis$er!'or 'bloody hilarious' but they are more slang used by not so... refined folk.

And I think I should really go to bed now since it's almost 12:30am.

Abbi

cirelondiel
    Hi majestic_ginny,

For starters, read through all of this thread to get a feel for Aussie culture and language. There's loads of info already.

I personally think that an Aussie school would be right in the middle of the country. We have huge areas of empty desert, and it would be quite easy to put an unplottable school out there. Alternatively, somewhere in a foresty area would be nice. Maybe the south-west area of WA, or over in Queensland.

Elmbark is a nice name, but (*knows nothing about trees*) I don't think elms are native here, (are they?) and something with a more Australian name might suit. *does some quick research* Ah yes, apparently elms were introduced to Australasia in the 19th century. Wikipedia's articles on Australian flora and fauna might help you think of something. The flora atricle could also help with your question about wands. I imagine they would use the same woods as European wizards, but also some native Australian ones as well.

I agree with Abbi that they would love Quidditch. Sport is very big here.

Abbi explained uniforms. The suggestion of having a similar uniform to any other school, with the addition of a robe which would only be worn in winter, sounds good.

Hope I helped!

-- Chelsea