Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 LastLast

Thread: AUSTRALIAN Culture and Language Help!

Wizengamot Ravenclaw
    You idiot! Always playing the Hero!
    What are some typical pet names in Australia that a parent would use when talking to their little girl, or really any small child? The more specifics I could get, the better.

Brand New Story!

Banner by lullaby_BANG. Completely awesome avi came from here!

My brand new trailer for Snape Didn't Die by thegirllikeme to serve as a constant source of inspiration whilst I write!

Wizengamot Ravenclaw
    Double posting because I have yet another Australia-related question.

I am writing a story where my Australian character is currently in the fifth grade (year five, you call it, I think). I certainly remember what I used to study in the fifth grade, but I am not sure if Australia is much different. Maybe if one of you could tell me what you all remember about your fifth grade years, and maybe even answer the question I posted before, I would be oh so very happy!

Brand New Story!

My brand new trailer for Snape Didn't Die by thegirllikeme to serve as a constant source of inspiration whilst I write!

Wizengamot Ravenclaw
    The Australian Culture thread has been very quiet lately. Please, Aussies, I have a story taking place in Australia, a country I have never been to, and I really need all of your help to make it believable.

Do many people use the train in Australia? I need a way for my characters to get from Victoria to Sydney. If trains are not very common, what would be some other ways to get there? They are tourists, and, as wizards, they obviously wouldn't own their own car, and probably not even know how to drive.

Brand New Story!

First Year Ravenclaw
    In the Rubble at Godric's Hollow

Hi,

Do many people use the train in Australia?
    I don't know if many do, but Australians tend to be more... tolerant when it comes to large distances. Many travel for hours every day and just get used to it. I know quite a few people who would travel about two hours to get to uni every day. For one or two it was about 3 hours!

The amount of time it takes to cross Victoria by train would (very) roughly equal to around about the time it takes to cross three or four European countries by car. It's a very rough estimate though

Across Melbourne, the biggest city in Victoria, you'd be using the Connex train system.
    Across the state of Victoria you'd be using the Vline train system.
    From Victoria to Sydney you'd probably be using Countrylink. You can check out their websites for more information. I just checked Countrylink's and there's a train line that goes from Melbourne to Sydney two times a day.

A friend of mine uses the Vline frequently to visit family members and it costs about $15 for a student ticket, I think. I've never been on Countrylink but on the VLine it can get really boring. The distances are huge. There are quite a lot of people that travel the VLine; for Countrylink I'm not so sure.

From a website on different train lines and timetables (am I allowed to reference an external site?), I think this is the one you'd be looking for:

Countrylinks Melbourne XPT train runs twice each day from Melbourne Southern Cross station to Sydney Central station. The journey takes about ten and a half hours. There is a day train that departs Melbourne at 8:30am in the morning and arrives Sydney at 7:55pm in the evening, and there is a night train that departs Melbourne at 7:55pm in the evening and arrives in Sydney at 6:56am early the following morning. You can also get off these trains at Strathfield or Campbelltown station in Sydneys suburbs, or at one of many other stations along the way. Note than in Summer months, the day train operates to an altered timetable so check online timetables carefully.
    If trains are not very common, what would be some other ways to get there?
    Sometimes by plane. It saves a lot more time and is more comfortable, but it's more expensive.

Also by car or bus. It takes quite a while but it's not that uncommon.

They are tourists, and, as wizards, they obviously wouldn't own their own car, and probably not even know how to drive.
    Hmm, it all depends on how long you expect them to travel. Ten hours, or twenty,or two? The train seems most traditional, but the plane saves time.

Hope that helped
    Blurb is my signature...

Fifth Year Slytherin
    What's With Mars?
    Wow, you know a lot about Australian train lines... And I'm Australian, so kudo's to you!

I am writing a story where my Australian character is currently in the fifth grade (year five, you call it, I think). I certainly remember what I used to study in the fifth grade, but I am not sure if Australia is much different. Maybe if one of you could tell me what you all remember about your fifth grade years, and maybe even answer the question I posted before, I would be oh so very happy!
    Yeah, we call it year 5, or sometimes grade 5. I am afraid I really can't remember what we learnt, even though it was like three or four years ago.

What are some typical pet names in Australia that a parent would use when talking to their little girl, or really any small child? The more specifics I could get, the better.
    Well, my nickname is Petal.. and I have absolutely no idea why. Maybe the reason it isn't Anna or Annie, is because my mum hates to have me as Annie (a very poor little orphan haha). My sister is Jazzy, short for Jasmine. So, we are pretty similar to everywhere else, I imagine. Sorry I cannot elaborate. My friends are Taylor and Taylah, and sometimes we call them Tay. Fiona - Fee. So, a lot of names are just shortened.

Sorry, that probably doesn't help at all.. Just wanted to help a little bit. xxx

Ronnie, Lyss, Becca, Andi, you guys are amazing. <3

I'M BACK, BABY! *evil laugh*

Wizengamot Ravenclaw
    Oh, happy happy day! People have begun replying to the Australian thread again, and we have some Aussies playing on the boards once again!

Thank you for answering my mirage of questions, and maybe you can help me with a few more. I have been doing some contemplating on what Australia's magic school would be like. I know that school is Europe would be run out of abandoned castles, but I have a feeling that there is a distinct lack of castles in Australia (as there are in the Americas), but what could be used as school building and campus in Australia?

I envision it being way out in the Outback, where they would be least likely to have any Muggles wandering across a large population of students who may or may not have complete control of their powers. But what could be used as a building? In my stories about the United States, there are five schools: one run out of disguised house in Salem, one out of an old plantation, one out of an abandoned prison, one out of huts on the beach, and one out of building built for the sole purpose of being a wizarding school.

What could be a possible structure for Australia's wizarding school?

Brand New Story!

Fifth Year Slytherin
    What's With Mars?
    Well, if you wanted to go really Aussie, you could have the building be inside Ayers Rock (Uluru). Here is a picture. It is pretty massive, and could accommodate a large amount of students, and even be for the entire of Australia, or at least one of two, since the Australian population is only around 20 million, a lot less than America (which has five).

Some people try to climb Uluru, I am not sure how well they do, though, since it is so large. It is a real tourist attraction in Australia, but a door could be bewitched into the side, with a sort of invisible passageway that the students could be flued, apparated or portkeyed into. Also, inside could be bewitched to look like the outside with gardens and trees, sort of like Firenzes (spelling tragedy, much?) office at Hogwarts.

~ Annalise x

Ronnie, Lyss, Becca, Andi, you guys are amazing. <3

I'M BACK, BABY! *evil laugh*

Wizengamot Ravenclaw
    But Ayers Rock is supposed to be like the most sacred place on earth to the Aboriginal people, isn't it? For European wizards to take it from the just to turn it into a school for their white children to be educated...it seems like Mount Rushmore to the tenth power.

Maybe it would be better off building a building to just be the school and have it be out in the middle of the desert. What are some architectural structures that a distinctly Australian, though? Like how in my stories, one of the American schools in the Deep South is an old cotton plantation.

Brand New Story!

First Year Ravenclaw
    In the Rubble at Godric's Hollow

Hi,

But Ayers Rock is supposed to be like the most sacred place on earth to the Aboriginal people, isn't it?
    That's right. I can't see a school being there; it's pretty sacred to the Aborigines and it attracts a lot of tourists... Maybe an Aboriginal magical school at some point in the past though...

Maybe it would be better off building a building to just be the school and have it be out in the middle of the desert.
    There are also a lot of forests; rainforests There's also a large coast so you could have it at some secluded beach, a bay, or in the sea even. Or Tasmania - no one would ever look there :P

What are some architectural structures that a distinctly Australian, though?
    I can't think of much that is distinctly Australia, I'm afraid... aside from the Sydney Opera House. In terms of Architecture, Aust. borrows a lot from the UK, especially 'Victorian Design'. If you're looking for something really impressive and classy, check out the grounds of the University of Melbourne. I'm sure there's plenty of images you can find of the main campus. It is quite nice and I'd base an Australia magical school on it
    Blurb is my signature...

Wizengamot Ravenclaw
    Another point I wonder about. I have been studying the Australian system of goverment, wondering if this would be a good way to study how the Australian wizarding government works. Maybe some Australian natives could offer some ideas and imput.

Brand New Story!