Thread: Hogwarts Staff: 1999-2007

Sixth Year Hufflepuff
    Voldemort's on the Back of Your Head, Professor

Hogwarts Staff: 1999-2007

I'm writing a story which includes characters who attend Hogwarts from 1999 until 2007. There are parts which include classes and all, so I was wondering about the Hogwarts staff during this time period. Who could be the teachers, now? Would they be the same or would new teachers have arrived (well, I've already replaced Professor Sprout with Neville in the story)? And most importantly, whom do you think would be the Headmaster/ Headmistress? Do you think Hagrid, Madame Pomfrey, Filch and all would remain?

Any help on this would be lovely .

Thank you!
    ~ Pooja

AMAZING story banner by Nadia/majestic_ginny! Dimply Sammeh by me.
    I found a liquor store. I drank it.

Inverarity
    I'm sure they wouldn't all be the same, but it's up to you who you want to replace.

Rowling has already said that McGonagall retires, and does not become the new Headmistress.

Slughorn had retired once, and only came back to Hogwarts when Dumbledore pressured him. I don't think he'd remain after the fall of Voldemort. (Though I contradict that in my own story. )

I tend to think the Headmaster/Headmistress would be someone new. If you really want to use one of the existing staff, then Flitwick and Sprout seem like the most likely candidates.

Who else would leave? We know that Flitwick and Filch are pretty old, so it's not unlikely that they might retire within the next few years after the Battle of Hogwarts.

Binns, of course, is never going to leave. I think Hagrid will stay at Hogwarts until they bury him, too.

If Neville replaces Sprout, then either she has retired (or possibly been killed in the Battle of Hogwarts), or become the new Headmistress.

You definitely need a new DADA teacher. A new Potions teacher assuming Slughorn leaves. McGonagall leaves, so you need a new Transfiguration teacher. If Flitwick leaves, you need a new Charms teacher as well.

Would Trelawyney remain? Dumbledore kept her at Hogwarts for her own protection. Dumbledore is no longer around, and she no longer needs protection anyway. I don't think she'd want to leave, but a new Headmaster/Headmistress might be less willing to keep her on staff. (Though if it's one of the previous staff, like Sprout or Flitwick, they'd probably let her stay.)

Staff about whom we don't really know much at all: Hooch, Vector, Sinistra, Pomfrey, Pince. We don't know how old they are, nor whether any of them survive the Battle of Hogwarts.

Azhure
    There has already been a discussion about professors in the Next Generation Era. Here's the link. If there's anything not discussed on there, feel free to ask here. I just wanted to save everyone some trouble.