Thread: Fenrir Greyback

Roonil_Wazlib125

Fenrir Greyback

Greyback. That naughty naughty werewolf. When will he learn??

Hi!! I am here to discuss Greyback, because he plays a large part in my new fanfic, Ron Weasley and the Shadow Princess. In the Alternate Universe fic, Greyback is Lord Voldemort's right hand man. Er... werewolf.

So, to help me write him, I want to discuss some things about him.

First, I will write a few paragraphs about him. And then, questions!! Q/A!!! My favorite part!!! WHOOO!!!

Okay. Some things about Greyback:

Greyback. Werewolf. Death Eater. Evil. But what is behind the matted fur that we have learned to love and hate?

Well, let's talk about if he was a wizard. He must've been. Or, maybe a half wizard, one of his parents already being a werewolf. We don't know; J.K. doesn't say much about him, but let's just say he was a wizard. Most werewolves are.

So. Hogwarts. That must've been tough, don't you think? If he had already been a werewolf by then, people might've made fun of him. Maybe they were scared of him. Or maybe he had no friend. Maybe he bites people because he's bitter.

Or evil. In Hogwarts, I think he must've been in Slytherin. Pretty much all of the Death Eaters were Slytherins. (No offense Slytherins. You still rock!!) Maybe he put dark curses on people for the fun of it. Maybe he liked the idea of pain and torture. Maybe it excited him greatly.

Now let's talk about after Hogwarts. We know how hard it is to get a job as a werewolf; Remus Lupin is just one example. But perhaps, instead of perservering and trying and trying and trying (and also going to Albus Dumbledore, the most trusting man), Greyback gave up on the wizards and Muggles and decided to hunt them instead. What a fun profession!!!

So we know Greyback postioned himself close to his prey at the full moon. And he bit people to make them werewolves, to lead them from their friends and family, and teach them to hate wizards!!!!

But then, he probably met Lord Voldemort, who offered him power, Death Eater rights (some of them actually), and lots of kids to bite. Well of course he pounced on the job. What was better than that???

So then, Greyback became the deranged werewolf we know today. Biting more and more helpless little kids. Inflicting the horrible disease on them. Their fate was so unclear. They were unsure what the future would bring. Would anyone accept them? Would they find someone like Remus Lupin had found Tonks, to love and accept them for who they are? Well maybe. But then again, maybe not.

So yet another happy life ruined by Greyback, the werewolf.

Thank you, thank you!! And now.....*drumroll*..... Q/A!!!! YAYAYAY!!!!!!!!

Do you think Greyback was a Slytherin?

Do you think Greyback was ever in love?

Do you think Greyback had any friends?

Do you think that Greyback was really good at something, like classes or writing? (Biting will not be accepted. Sorry for the inconvience.)

Do you think that if Greyback had found a job, he would've still ended up with Lord Voldemort?

Send in questions and answers!!!!! Thanks!!!

Annmarie/Roonil_Wazlib125

weasleywannabe47
    I don't think he went to Hogwarts, but if he did, I'd say Slytherin.

Yes, I do. I think he also had kids.

No, not true friends, anyway...

Do you think that Greyback was really good at something, like classes or writing? (Biting will not be accepted. Sorry for the inconvience.)
    No, I don't...he might be good at writing violence...

Do you think that if Greyback had found a job, he would've still ended up with Lord Voldemort?
    Yes, that was too much his personality not to.

Bye,
    Wes

Inverarity

No. Fenrir Greyback is a slave to his passions. We never see evidence that he's particularly cunning or ambitious. On the other hand, we do see that he's reckless, ruthless, and bold, doesn't care about putting himself in danger, and doesn't care what people think of him as long as he can satisfy his impulses.

That says "Gryffindor."

I think he was probably a psychopath, and thus any "love" he might have felt was more akin to obsession. I think Greyback is probably the most likely character in the books to have been stalker/rapist.

He's aggressive enough to acquire some hangers-on, just like Tom Riddle did. He probably had his own motley "pack" at school, though he might also have been just a crazy loner that everyone avoided.

He might have made a good Beater.

Yes, unless his job allowed him to pursue his passion for biting children.

herm_own_ninny13
    Oooh! Greyback bites/kills/eats one of the characters in the story I'm writing. How nice.

Anyway, I actually don't think he went to Hogwarts. A, he doesn't talk like an educated person, and B, I think at one point Remus says he was the first werewolf to be offered a place at Hogwarts, that before Dumbledore, werewolves had never been accepted there (or anywhere, really.) And Dumbledore became headmaster only just before the Marauders started Hogwarts, and Greyback seems older than them. This probably would have added to his humiliation at being a werewolf, and brought him to the state of mind we see in him in the books.
    Which brings me to my next point:
    His main motive is to inflict pain on others, the way pain was inflicted on him. He is very revenge-oriented, and Voldemort is the kind of person who can give him that. If Greyback hadn't been bitten, he wouldn't have these social issues, so he wouldn't have joined the death eaters. Therefore, I don't think he would have joined Voldy if his situation had changed. Unless, of course, he was taught since childhood to believe this stuff, but since he bites anyone, no matter their blood status, I don't think that's the case.

Q: Can we speculate as to the kind of childhood he had? His parents? Economic background?

Inverarity
    Quote Originally Posted by herm_own_ninny13
    Anyway, I actually don't think he went to Hogwarts. A, he doesn't talk like an educated person,
    Neither do Crabbe and Goyle.

Or Hagrid, for that matter.

and B, I think at one point Remus says he was the first werewolf to be offered a place at Hogwarts, that before Dumbledore, werewolves had never been accepted there (or anywhere, really.)
    We don't know that Greyback was a werewolf as a child, though. He might not have been bitten until after he graduated.

Q: Can we speculate as to the kind of childhood he had? His parents? Economic background?
    Few people who grow up sick and twisted (Voldemort, Snape, etc.) had happy, stable childhoods. There are exceptions, of course, but it's hard to imagine someone with loving parents and good role models turning into someone who revels in bloodshed and assaulting children. Of course, some people are born "broken" -- those people are usually called sociopaths. So perhaps Greyback was doomed to be a monster from birth.

I'd be inclined to say Greyback came from a working class family, possibly raised by a single parent, likely abusive. He might have been Muggle-born, or a half-blood. That's all just speculation, though. There's nothing about his parents or childhood in canon.

XenaTwin
    I also don't think he went to Hogwarts. Also, are we sure he's a wizard at all? I know they show him as one in the movies, even showing his wand... but unless I'm totally crazy I remember reading in the beginning somewhere that JK described him as a Muggle before becoming a Werewolf. I have been unable to find this information since and do not have a copy of the early books to dig through at present, so I cannot be sure. If anyone has the means to confirm or deny this information then please do.

Seventh Year Gryffindor
    Obliviate!
    He wouldn't have gone to Hogwarts as I'm sure Lupin was the first one. He talks about it not looking likely that he'd be able to go, but then Dumbledore became headmaster and things changed. This makes me think that previous headmasters wouldn't have allowed a werewolf to go to school.

I can't find anything on the Lexicon or the HP wiki that says he was a Muggle. I thought I read somewhere that only wizards could become werewolves, and that if Muggles got bitten, they'd die, but I can't remember where I read that. I don't have my books on me, either, so I can't check if he's mentioned carrying a wand in any of the scenes he's in, though in DH when the Trio are captured, everyone Apparates to Malfoy Manor, something Greyback wouldn't be able to do if he had no magical power.

Sarah x

Wonderful avvie by psijupiter. Totally brilliant and amazing banner by Julia/the opaleye!