Thread: Subjects

Celtic_Jewel

Subjects

I know that in first year, students took Charms, Transfiguration, Potions, DADA, Herbology, Astronomy, and History of Magic. But at the end of the year, when they took exams, what would happen if they failed to many? I remember Hermione mentioning that they needed to pass to continue at Hogwarts. Were they simply given a pass or fail, or were they graded like OWLs are? In sixth year, did they have exams or not?

Also, how many additional classes were they allowed to take in third year?

Any help would be really appriciated.

Thanks,
    -Ema

hpheart
    I can't answer your first question, but I'll have a shot at your second.

I've just chosen by options for GSCE, which is the current equivilent for OWLS. I assume it would be 4 extras, as thats how many we have, but at my friends new school, they had to choose 6, so 4-6 I think.

Bethan

Honigkuchenpferd Hufflepuff
    "Greetings From Egypt..."
    Quote Originally Posted by hpheart
    I've just chosen by options for GSCE, which is the current equivilent for OWLS. I assume it would be 4 extras, as thats how many we have, but at my friends new school, they had to choose 6, so 4-6 I think.
    I think that depends. We know that there are only five optional classes to choose from: Divination, Ancient Runes, Arithmancy, Care of Magical Creatures and Muggle Studies. Hermione took all 5 in her third year, but we know that she needed a Time Turner to manage all classes. At the end she dropped Muggle Studies and Diviniation to get her schedule back to manageable; she therefore has three optional classes.

Both Ron and Harry have Care of Magical Creatures and Divination, so that makes two (obviously ).

I think to take two to three optional classes would be required.

As for the first question:

I can imagine that the exams are getting marked by the professors to see what level of knowledge the students have. They will probably use the grades "O", "E", "A" etc. but without telling the students what exact mark they received. They will only get to know whether they passed or not. And I think that if the students fail too many glasses, that they have to retake the year. If I remember correctly, there was one Slytherin who failed NEWT exams and who retook his final year, so it would be possible to have this possibility in all years, although failing only one or two subjects might not be of enough reason to let the students retake a year. I think with 7 and in third and fourth year 12 (possible) tests to take, students would have to retake a year when they fail more than 50% of their classes' final exams.

But that's all only my two Sickles.

Hope to have helped,

~Bine
    No longer a mod and no longer in charge of any forums.

author ~*~ BA banner ~*~ giggler
    Banners by Tiffany and Samarie ^

Wizengamot Hufflepuff
    Kill the Spare
    I don't think they grade them- becaue Hermione talks about getting 112% for her first year Charms exam and over 300% for Muggle Studies.

I'm sure there's an option for the failing students to catch up on marks. Snape says he's teaching Harry 'Remedial Potions' I know he's not but that option must be available. Also I'm sure there's a passage somewhere about Crabbe and Goyle having extra tuition.

Banner by the fabulous Julia - theoplaeye

Celtic_Jewel
    Thanks all of you. I have another question - In sixth year, they don't have to continue with all the core subjects, do they?

Thanks again,
    -Ema

Honigkuchenpferd Hufflepuff
    "Greetings From Egypt..."
    No, they don't have to. The trio dropped History of Magic (although Ron and Harry failed), and Astronomy although. Furthermore, both would have dropped Potions, too, although they both managed a pass grade.

~Bine
    No longer a mod and no longer in charge of any forums.

author ~*~ BA banner ~*~ giggler
    Banners by Tiffany and Samarie ^

cirelondiel
    Nope, they only take what they want in sixth and seventh year. For example, only a few students take NEWT level Potions. In fact, you have to achieve a certain grade in your OWLs to be able to take the NEWT subject.

-- Chels