Thread: Roxanne Weasley

MarieEvans760

Roxanne Weasley

We don't learn anything of Roxanne within the books, but according to JKR it is George and Angelina's child. She has a twin brother Fred. She basically has nothing canon about her other than what we know of her parents.

Well I am writing a story of her as a young woman. 24-26 age range. I'm going to have her be a teacher. Here are my questions:

Knowing what we know about her parents what do you think she would look like?

What subject would she teach? If you choose Quidditch please also have a second pick. I know its obvious that she would be great at Quidditch being that both her parents played during school, I'm not sure yet how big of a part Quidditch will have in the story I am developing.

What do you think her personality would be like?

How do you think she would handle a problem? ( ex. head on, devils advocate, hands off )

Many people say, women marry men that remind them of their father. I'm developing her love interest, but I don't want him to be exactly like Fred. What kind of person could you see her getting involved with? Would he be magical or muggle-born?

Any other thoughts you have on her would be wonderful. Even though she has no information on her, she is still a JKR creation and I want to do her justice!

Thanks!

Inverarity
    Children are not clones of their parents. So the fact that her parents were Quidditch players doesn't necessarily mean she will be. Likewise, it could be interesting if she turns out not to be a Gryffindor, even though George and Angelina were.

She's basically an original character -- you can decide anything about her. Choosing what her interests, personality, and best subjects are requires deciding what has been most important in forming her personality. So think about her upbringing.

First, Rowling has said that George never quite gets over Fred's death. Personally, I think naming your son after your dead twin brother is kind of morbid. It's also a little odd that George marries Angelina after she was originally Fred's date at the Yule Ball. How does that dynamic work, exactly? Do they have a happy marriage? Or is there an invisible ghost always between them?

What is Roxanne's relationship with her twin brother like? How has he been affected by being named after a dead uncle? Does he always feel like his parents are seeing the older Fred when they look at him? Or have they avoided putting that burden on him? Were he and Roxanne in the same house at Hogwarts? (Remember that Fred and George were in the same house, but conversely, Padma and Parvati Patil were not, so being twins doesn't necessarily mean being Sorted the same.) Since you're writing about Roxanne as an adult, what is her relationship with Fred like now?

Her father owns Weasleys' Wizard Wheezes. She would have grown up with lots of odd, spectacular, sometimes dangerous toys. She might have learned how to make some of them, and certainly how to use them. Has that made her cunning, a trickster like her father? A practical joker? Or does she not care about her father's business much?

Since her mother is black, Roxanne would probably have dark skin. I'd avoid making her (or Fred) a redhead; red hair is a recessive gene and is particularly rare among people of African origin, so they're extremely unlikely to inherit it from their mother. The two of them would probably look rather different from their Weasley cousins.

Although Rowling doesn't talk much about race in the books, and the wizarding world appears to be pretty cosmopolitan, it is still likely to affect Roxanne somewhat, that she's a biracial child. How white or black do she and Fred look?

She will have grown up with a lot of cousins! Even if she has no other siblings besides Fred, the Weasleys are a large, close family. So she'll never have had any shortage of playmates. She has Harry, Ginny, Ron, Hermione, Percy, Charlie, Bill, and Fleur as aunts and uncles, and that's just on her father's side. Don't forget Angelina's family (about which we know nothing, in canon).

Roxanne is a huge blank slate, like most next-gen kids. So answering some of the above questions should help you start developing her as a character.

MarieEvans760
    Thanks, that offered me great insite about what readers would want to hear. I think i'm going to play off the fact that George and Angelina aren't a perfect married couple. I think the love they have is the common love they shared for Fred.

Also I want to make lil Fred the opposite of dead Fred ( haha thats so crude I know ) but it could cause for some more drama.

Roxanne I think would be a fun girl, with a good sense of humor, but knowing that her parents didn't really marry for love ( this is the angle I'm going for I think ) she spends a lot of time trying to find that one perfect guy.

hedwig_laid_an_egg
    Roxanne is so minor she's practically an OC--the first I heard about her was when I saw her name on JK Rowling's hand-drawn family tree. I think the George/Angelina thing would be interesting, because Angelina may or may not have been Fred's girlfriend and George looks just like Fred. Roxanne could be teacher of anything, since you can do pretty much what you want with her. Hope this helped!

Wizengamot Hufflepuff
    Kill the Spare
    I don't think Rowling said that Roxanne and Fred were twins. I remember trying to research this and being unable to find any evidence. On the family tree she drew of the Weasleys she has Fred as the first born but no indication that Roxanne is his twin.

Whilst identical twins are hereditry from the male side, non-identical (which is what Roxanne and Fred woiuld be) are more likely to be a 'happy accident' although there is a school of thought that it's hereditary from the mothers side.

Quote Originally Posted by Inverarity
    Personally, I think naming your son after your dead twin brother is kind of morbid.
    I think it's probably the greatest tribute you can pay a person. As long as Angelina got a say in naming her children, I don't see it as an issue. She appears to have far more say than Ginny had in naming her kids. I mean, where are the Weasley inflkuences in the Potter kids?
    It's also a little odd that George marries Angelina after she was originally Fred's date at the Yule Ball.
    It was only one date. Fred and Angelina are clearly not together in HBP after they've left school because he disappears into the woods with the Veela cousins. It's interesting that Fred would always be 'the one that got their first' but it doesn't necessarily mean that there's would ve an unhappy marriage. George may never quite get over Fred's death... but would any of them? I think George would probably become more of an individual because he has to make decisions all by himself, proibably for the first time ever.

Roxanne's parents are both Quidditch players. Whilst this doesn't necessarily mean that she'd take to the sport (Percy wasn't a Quidditch player after all.) it could indicate that she'd be better at practical and outdoors type of activities. George is an inventor - he's hands on and not at all book-learning smart. Angelina is described as Athletic. Whilst this doesn't mean she'd not be bright, we do only see her in relation to her Quidditch skills. Both George and Angelina were good at DADA ... or rather they were good at the classes Harry ran.

Whatever you decide for Roxanne, I don't think she'd be a theory bound professor. Her lessons would probably be more practical. Charms - maybe?

Carole
    I'm a BARMAID. I write. I drabble. I duel. I poet. I'm a BADGER!!!

Banner by minnabird

Dorkalecki Ravenclaw
    Unspeakable
    Kill the Spare
    Quote Originally Posted by Carole
    Whilst identical twins are hereditry from the male side, non-identical (which is what Roxanne and Fred woiuld be) are more likely to be a 'happy accident' although there is a school of thought that it's hereditary from the mothers side.
    (I googled this, so this is true, btw) Monozygotic (identical) twins are formed from a single embryo that splits. Dizygotic (fraternal) twins are a product of two separate fertilizations in the same, er...planting. Dizygotic twins would be the proper classification for Fred/Roxy (the most common type is fraternal m/f babies).

Studies show that there is a genetic basis for DZ twinning. However, it is only their mother that has any effect on the chances of having DZ twins; there is no known mechanism for a father to cause the release of more than one ovum.
    Quote Originally Posted by Carole
    Whatever you decide for Roxanne, I don't think she'd be a theory bound professor. Her lessons would probably be more practical. Charms - maybe?
    She could be Hagrid's replacement as Care of Magical Creatures professor. Her parents both liked Hagrid, so she would be wont to take the class. If she is an outdoorsy type, she could definitely get into magical creatures.

Bine: link removed. Whilst it is helpful to read it, outside links are forbidden. Everyone can - if they are interested - google twins if they are interested to read further.
    Jess WritesJess DrabblesJess DuelsJess PoetsJess Draws

QSQ-worthy banner by Minna / minnabird.

thegirllikeme

Roxanne Weasley

I personally always pictured Roxanne Weasley as a female George, since I'm enchanted with the idea that it was the girl (not Fred II) who decided to carry on her father's legacy of mischief. Your thoughts?

Other questions:

What do you think her age would be in relation to her cousins? I know there is pretty much free-ran with where she fits in age, since there are no specifics on when she was born. However, I'm curious to see what the common opinion is.

Why do you think that George and Angelina decided on this name? Technically has more to do with George and Angelina's characterization, but I thought I'd put it here since it's concerning this character.

What do you think she would choose to be called by? Roxanne? Roxie? Something completely different?

Do you think she would have played Quidditch? If so, what position?

Thanks for any and all help!

Wizengamot Hufflepuff
    Kill the Spare
    Quote Originally Posted by thegirllikeme
    I personally always pictured Roxanne Weasley as a female George, since I'm enchanted with the idea that it was the girl (not Fred II) who decided to carry on her father's legacy of mischief. Your thoughts?
    Yes, me too. But then I don't think Angelina was a slouch in the mischief department either. She certainly appreciated Fred and George's humour ... until she had to captain them. It gives more of a sense of irony if Fred is more serious that his namesake, but is that a bit of a cliche? I guess it could be argued that he's a cliche if he's a Fred and George clone as well. *ponders*

Why do you think that George and Angelina decided on this name?
    Well, you could make anything up really. Perhaps it's Angelina's mother's name. The name - like Angelina's - has a foreign ring to it. Languages aren't my strong point but I always thought it sounded vaguely French. I had this idea that George named the boy, and Angelina the girl.

What do you think she would choose to be called by? Roxanne? Roxie? Something completely different?
    How about Rox. Perhaps she was Roxie as a little girl but decided Rox was better when she got to teenage years. The Weasley children do seem to be known by diminutives (apart from George) so it's not unlikely she'd be called by a nickname.

Do you think she would have played Quidditch? If so, what position?
    She has two very strong Quidditch players as her parents. I think it's almost guaranteed that she'd want to play Quidditch, but perhaps she's inherited the Percy gene . On the whole, unless you want to write that she's awful at Quidditch, I'd write her as a strong player and a Chaser. I know George was a Beater, but they do tend to have bigger, bulkier builds.

What do you think her age would be in relation to her cousins?
    You do, as you say, have free rein with this, but I've always thought that she's not the same age as Rose and Albus because I think they'd have made an effort to meet up with her as well. I've written her as a year younger than Lily Luna before now and Fred as a year older than Lily Luna. But equally she could well be much older and closer to Victoire and Dominique in age.
    For some reason I always thought that George and Angelina took their time to get married and had their children a little bit later that Ginny and Harry. But equally it could be argued that they got together very quickly after Fred died and got married in haste because they both missed Fred.

~Carole~
    I'm a BARMAID. I write. I drabble. I duel. I poet. I'm a BADGER!!!

Banner by minnabird

Third Year Hufflepuff
    Hut-on-the-Rock, The Sea
    I am working on a second generation story and would like, not only some feed-back on my thoughts, but also to get some discussion going again.

Knowing what we know about her parents what do you think she would look like?

I imagine her as having thick, coarse black hair that is almost always in a plait or a ponytail. She would have dark brown skin like her mother, but I gave her George's blue eyes. I thought that would be a pretty even compromise. She is also a bit taller than average and gained her height from her mother rather than her father. I also think she would be really into Quidditch, so she would have the build of an athlete.

What do you think her personality would be like?

I think she would take after her father and late-uncle and be a trouble-maker. She has a bit of an attitude when offended and will talk back to anyone. She has no real respect for authority. She is brutally honest and sometimes mean, but she would trade her life for a friend’s happiness any day. She definitely takes after her father’s brother which sometimes causes tension between herself and her mother who is reminded of Fred every time her daughter speaks or acts. (I think that Angeline is still more in love with Fred than George though it’s not really spoken about between the couple which is probably the only reason the marriage works at all)

How do you think she would handle a problem? ( ex. head on, devils advocate, hands off )

Obviously head-on. I don't think she would be one to beat around the bush and gets straight to the point. She is very blunt and not really afraid to step on toes, so she would confront anyone about anything.

Many people say, women marry men that remind them of their father. I'm developing her love interest, but I don't want him to be exactly like Fred. What kind of person could you see her getting involved with? Would he be magical or muggle-born?

I actually have her paired up with a Slytherin pure-blood. He has long black hair and dark brown eyes and a general mysterious feel to him. He is sly and cunning but also laid-back. He doesn't really talk about himself and prefers the focus be on other people, which is why people don't know a lot about him. Roxie finds him fascinating, though, and absolutely adores him.