Thread: The Dark Mark

Celtic_Jewel

The Dark Mark

For my story, which is set in the early 70's, I need to know how organized the Death Eaters would be, and whether they would have begun to put the Dark Mark above a house where they've killed someone.

Any help welcomed.

Thanks,
    -Ema

Azhure
    I've always thought as the Dark Mark as more of a symbol than a trademark. So they would only cast the Dark Mark over a house if it was a really significant kill or somewhere it would create the most terror. Or, of course, as a warning - the Quidditch World Cup.

There isn't really anything said in canon, though. So it's up to you.

EDIT: Really, Terri? Whoops... shows how much I know.

~~Azhure~~

The Canon Queen Hufflepuff
    Unspeakable
    Hermione Couldn’t Possibly Be In Two Places At Once
    Originally posted by Ema
    I need to know how organized the Death Eaters would be, and whether they would have begun to put the Dark Mark above a house where they've killed someone.
    The following comes from GoF. It is a passage right after they trio and Mr Weasley return to the tent following the 'Winky incident'.

GoF' Chapter 9 - The Dark Mark

"I don't get it," said Ron, frowning. 'I mean...it's still only a shape in the sky..."

"Ron, You-Know-Who and his followers sent the Dark Mark into the air whenever they killed," said Mr Weasley. "The terror it inspired... you have no idea, you're too young. Just picture coming home and finding the Dark Mark hovering over your house and knowing what you're about to find inside..." Mr Weasley winced. "Everyone's worst fear...the very worst..."
    So, the Dark Mark was definitely used during the First War and it was used whenever they killed. Mr Weasley also states it was only the Death Eaters who knew how to conjure it.
    Terri Black (as in Mrs Sirius {aka Padfoot} Black)
    Hufflepuff Head of House

Celtic_Jewel
    Okay, thanks for your help! I've put it as over the house in my story.

-Ema