Thread: Beauxbatons

Hybrid View

Wizengamot Ravenclaw
    You idiot! Always playing the Hero!

Beauxbatons

I'm working on a story centering around Gabrielle's years at Beauxbatons, and I'm trying to build around the basic structure. There are a few things I already have very clearly definded in my head about what the school is like, but I still need a better idea of it still. Some I need facts, but opinions are more than welcome as well.

By what method do you believe students are Sorted into their houses?

Fleur said there are no ghosts at Beauxbatons. What creatures or beings do you believe they do have?

What classes do you believe they have that Hogwarts doesn't?

Any other factual tidbits about French education do you know?

Brand New Story!

Banner by lullaby_BANG. Completely awesome avi came from here!

My brand new trailer for Snape Didn't Die by thegirllikeme to serve as a constant source of inspiration whilst I write!

MC Kair

Correct me if I'm wrong but I thought that Beauxbatons didn't have houses. All they said in the book was they were naturally compatible with Ravenclaw.

Fleur said there are no ghosts at Beauxbatons. What creatures or beings do you believe they do have?

They seem like a really upscale school so maybe they have unicorns or something like that. I was under the impression that it was more of the type of school that didn't like creatures around.

Maybe they have classes in etiquitte and style. They seem like that type of school

Hope this helps.

-Maria

Black_Dust
    Correct me if I'm wrong but I thought that Beauxbatons didn't have houses.
    I don't think it said anything about it in the books ether way. So it's pretty much your choice.

You could try taking a look at old French legends and see if there are any sort of objects that are said to show "who you really are." (Like a basin of water that reflects what's on the inside not the out)

Well we know from fleur that there are wood nymphs to sing to them during meals. But I the could have things like tame unicorns (since they are used as symbols of France) roaming the grounds or magical versions of swans or other birds. Maybe one time they even had a banshee terrorizing the palace instead of a basilisk.

From the way Fleur was talking, I got the impression that Beauxbations students care more about their studies and their school's reputation than Hogwarts students. So maybe they have advanced courses as an options (like a regular Charms class or an advanced charms class). A course on politics or debating could be another idea.

Immortal Mongoose

I agree with the above posters, that there are no Houses. Or perhaps it's just sorted by surname, or random selection, rather than personality. Beauxbatons seems more united than Hogwarts does.

I imagine English, since all the students seem to speak it rather well. And I agree that etiquette is a possibility, or at least they have stricter rules about etiquette than Hogwarts does.

Wizengamot Ravenclaw
    In GoF, Fleur remarks that Beauxbatons is a palace, not a castle, like Hogwarts. What does this mean to you?

What comes to my mind is something akin to Versailles in the film Marie Antoinette, in the sense that it is much brighter and much more decortated.

What does this distinction of Fleur's mean to you?

Brand New Story!

My brand new trailer for Snape Didn't Die by thegirllikeme to serve as a constant source of inspiration whilst I write!

MC Kair
    To me a castle looks is made out of stone and looks very medieval. While a palace reminds me more of a mansion with White walls and fountains.

Definitions: Palace
    • a large and stately mansion
    • the governing group of a kingdom; "the palace issued an order binding on all subjects"
    • a large ornate exhibition hall
    • official residence of an exalted person (as a sovereign)

Castle: A castle is a defensive structure seen as one of the main symbols of the Middle Ages. The term has a history of scholarly debate surrounding its exact meaning, but it is usually regarded as being distinct from the general terms fort or fortress in that it describes a building which serves as a residence of a monarch or noble and commands a specific defensive territory.

Hope this helps.

-Maria

Hufflepuff at Heart
    Quote Originally Posted by OliveOil_Med
    In GoF, Fleur remarks that Beauxbatons is a palace, not a castle, like Hogwarts. What does this mean to you?

What comes to my mind is something akin to Versailles in the film Marie Antoinette, in the sense that it is much brighter and much more decortated.

What does this distinction of Fleur's mean to you?
    This is just my own ideas now, mind, so I'm sorry if this sounds ridiculous...

I think MC Kair also has a good idea; a palace makes me think of a lot of white and ornate things...chandeliers and that. Of course, Hogwarts is very stately and grand, but can be quite dark and stony (surprisingly!). As it's been said before, it probably does have a lot to do with being brighter and decorated. I seem to remember Fleur complaining about how cold Hogwarts is too; so perhaps Beauxbatons' buildings are newer or at least less draughty and better insulated.

It may also have to do with how they are treated while in Hogwarts as opposed to Beauxbatons. Of course, in Hogwarts they have as much food as they want 24/7, but perhaps in Beauxbatons they go a step further; statues that open the doors for you, coatstands that follow you around the corridors, etc. (I know these are terrible suggestions; but I hope you get what I mean!)

Well, there's a few ideas anyway! Hope I helped!

Wizengamot Ravenclaw
    Are there any particular aspects of the French culture that you believe would go into the structure of Beauxbatons? We already know the students all stand when there headmistress enters the room, and I learned from my own research that French schools are heavily segregated by gender.

What other aspects of the French lifestyle could be integrated into a story about Beauxbatons?

Brand New Story!

Inverarity

There's no evidence they have houses like Hogwarts does. Fleur never mentioned any. Houses are specifically a British boarding school tradition.

Nothing nasty or unpleasant, I should imagine. Maybe faeries (who according to FB, like to be decorative), and probably winged horses (but not Thestrals).

I'd think basic magic would be similar, but might be organized differently. Beauxbatons seems to cater to upscale students. So perhaps there are more classes that are the equivalent of "wizard social studies." International Wizarding Etiquette, for example, or Magical Being Diplomacy. Perhaps healing, culinary and housekeeping charms. But don't make the school totally effete -- perhaps Dueling is a required class for all students as well.

Any other factual tidbits about French education do you know?

Don't know much about French education, but with regard to Beauxbatons, keep in mind that while we only saw female Beauxbatons students in the movie, it's a common misconception that it's an all-girls school. Some male students were mentioned in the book.

Also, while only French students are mentioned, it's possible that it has an international student body. France still has a lot of influence with many of its former colonies, so Beauxbatons may have students from North Africa, South America, and so on.