Thread: Auror Training

MC Kair

Auror Training

I am writing a fanfic in which two people go through Auror training. Now I was just looking at the HP encyclopedia and I only found that Aurors are trained in stealth, disguise and combat. I would like to know if there is any canon reference to what exactly the Aurors would do as training. If there isn't anything canon I would love to hear some ideas as that would help me out a lot.

I would also like to know, if the ministry was in desperate need of Aurors would they let to unqualified Aurors help as long as they have had a lot of outside experience. For instance a person like Hermione who has had a lot of practice in combat.

Thank you to anyone who helps in advance.

Fourth Year Ravenclaw
    Snape Hates Me

We know there are two subjects called "Concealment and Disguise" and "Stealth and Tracking"

Careers Advice- Chapter 29 OOTP
    Contains a bit of information:

You are also required "to undergo a stringent series of character and aptitude tests at the Auror office".

McGonagal also says:

"Aurors frequently need to Transfigure or Untransfigure their work... Then you ought to do charms, always useful and Potions... Poisons and antidotes are essential study for Aurors."

"You will need to demonstrate the ability to react well to pressure and so forth... perseverance and dedication, because Auror training takes a further three years, not to mention very high skills in defense against dark arts."

I'm not sure there is any other Canon information, but I would re-read a bit of that chapter if I was you.

I suppose it might be a bit like police training or something. Maybe Aurors would have Apprenticeships in the last two years of training, or become something like interns.

Maybe while out on a small mission with there advisers the "interns" could get sucked into much bigger then they expected, something they usually wouldn't be brought into.
    Write--Poem--Twitter

A Different View On Love Now Complete!
    Banner by amazing minnabird

Hermoine Jean Granger
    I agree with Helz and have a few more additions to make.

• The training period for an Auror is for a duration of three years.
    • One must have the highest grades in all his/her N.E.W.T.'s.
    • The person should not have a criminal record.

I also think that you should have tests which judge your reactions in a high pressure situation. The tests not only include theoretical knowledge, but also practical assignments during which one auror-in-training is paired with another experienced one to take on a particular assignment.

I would also like to know, if the ministry was in desperate need of Aurors would they let to unqualified Aurors help as long as they have had a lot of outside experience.
    I think this would depend on the era in which you are writing the fic. If it is during the first or the second war, I think the ministry would be willing to accept an auror who has not passed his training.

Hope that helped!

JOHN91043353
    I think that besides the things HJ and Helen already mentioned, auros would definatly be trained in dueling. I think they might also study Dark Arts, only theoreticly though. They have to know what they're fighting.

I would also like to know, if the ministry was in desperate need of Aurors would they let to unqualified Aurors help as long as they have had a lot of outside experience.
    The answer is yes, and it's canon. JKR said in an interview after DH that Kingsley allowed Harry to join the aurors right after the Battle of Hogwarts without training. Ron on the other hand didn't join until later (He worked at Fred and George's shop first.) and I think he'd have had to go through the training.

MvH Johan

MC Kair
    Thank you everyone for all your help.

I was wondering however if anyone had any actual ideas of what they would make them do. What defensive spells would they practice? I mean how much higher can you go that Patronuses and Protego Horibblis?

Any imput would be apriciatated.

Fourth Year Ravenclaw
    Snape Hates Me

I'd imagine they would have classes, but it would be more like Collage/University then school. There would be theory lessons as well as practical.

Examples of Theory Lessons

Learning about Wizarding Law
    Learning the names of spells
    Learning methods of concealment and design.

Examples of Theory Lessons

Something similar to that Dark-Lazer game. The new Aurors are split up into teams and have to stun each other. They try and be the last person standing.

Practicing highly defensive spells. Remember many wizards cannot do a patronus, so this could be one. Why not invent a few spells yourself?

Agility tests

One-on-One training.

Other team exercises.

Brewing Potions and antidotes.

Other Ideas

Some of these could be lecture type situations that your characters may find boring. Others could be in small groups. You could have lots of fun writing the team exercises.

Hope that helps.
    Write--Poem--Twitter

A Different View On Love Now Complete!
    Banner by amazing minnabird

The Canon Queen Hufflepuff
    Unspeakable
    Hermione Couldn’t Possibly Be In Two Places At Once
    In OotP, Tonks states she got top marks in Concealment and Disguise but almost failed Stealth and Tracking. So these are two canon subjects you can use.

Other than those, the suggestions by Merlin_Helz are great ones to start with.

If you look on Lexicon under miscellaneous there is a section on occupations and you can look up Aurors.
    Terri Black (as in Mrs Sirius {aka Padfoot} Black)
    Hufflepuff Head of House

MC Kair
    Thank you everyone for your help it is GREATLY appriciated as you helped me write about four more chapters of my fanfic!