Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Daphne Greengrass

Wizengamot Ravenclaw
    You idiot! Always playing the Hero!

Daphne Greengrass

I am trying to develop the character of Astoria Greengrass, and I see her as being close to her older sister, so I'm starting a thread for Daphne as well.

We never hear anything about the Greengrass family being involved with the Death Eaters. Where do you think the family sttod during the war?

Could Daphne have been one of those mysterious Slytherins who returned to fight in the Battle of Hogwarts?

What do you think her relationship was like with her little sister? With the other Slytherins?

What do you see her as being like personality-wise?

Brand New Story!

Banner by lullaby_BANG. Completely awesome avi came from here!

My brand new trailer for Snape Didn't Die by thegirllikeme to serve as a constant source of inspiration whilst I write!

Kristen Floss
    Interesting thread

We never hear anything about the Greengrass family being involved with the Death Eaters. Where do you think the family sttod during the war?

I think they were like Sirius' parents-- they agreed with the Death Eaters, but they weren't Death Eaters themselves. I don't think they'd be neutral or all for Muggle rights, but I don't see them as actively fighting for blood purity either.

Could Daphne have been one of those mysterious Slytherins who returned to fight in the Battle of Hogwarts?

I can't really see it, somehow.

What do you think her relationship was like with her little sister? With the other Slytherins?

I think they would have got on well, especially if they were in the same house. I think with the other Slyths, she would have been just one of the girls.

We know she has Slyth traits, so cunning and ambitious. Probably a little bit**y at times and sly.

Hope I helped!

Kristen xD

Wizengamot Ravenclaw
    You idiot! Always playing the Hero!
    Daphne strikes me as the type who would marry rich and never work again afterwards. But what subjects would she have been interested in in Hogwarts? Didn't HBP (my copy's packed away right now) say there were other Slytherin in class? If Harry didn't know her, would it have been possible that she was one of these unnamed students?

Brand New Story!

Banner by lullaby_BANG. Completely awesome avi came from here!

My brand new trailer for Snape Didn't Die by thegirllikeme to serve as a constant source of inspiration whilst I write!

Azhure
    I've always seen Daphne as similar to Malfoy in a way. Brought up with wealth and the whole 'superior blood' ideal. I don't think that she would come back to fight in the final battle, she would save her own skin first, and then worry about the others.

As for if she was an unnamed Slytherin, it's definitely plausible. Like Malfoy, I've seen her as intelligent and willing to do whatever it takes to get her will done.

~~Azhure~~

Fourth Year Ravenclaw
    I See Dead People... In Mirrors
    Well, because Daphne is such a minor character I think you can pretty much have free rein with her... she's barely mentioned in the series at all, and the only evidence we have that she's a Slyth at all is that rough, canonically-fraught sketch from Harry Potter and Me, which you'll all know is an interview that isn't considered canon. In my humble opinion, a name like Greengrass is altogether too pleasant to spell a family of pure-blood Slytherins. I think that Jo only drew her as a Slytherin to make up the numbers, there.

And no, I didn't know all that up off the top of my head, I just wrote a drabble about Astoria.

Basically, I think if you've got this little information about a character, you can just treat them as an OC. As long as you make sure she's in the Trio's year, then you can do whatever you please and it'll be canonically correct! Take the opportunity to be really creative with her, since you're not bound by half a million canon requirements. Think about it - if the Greengrasses are actually a mixed-blood family of Hufflepuffs, then it'll make for an even more interesting story that Draco ends up marrying one, eh?

~Phia

(Avvie and banner by me, quote from Fancy, by John Keats)

Wizengamot Hufflepuff
    Kill the Spare
    I think there's a 'Greengrass' on the Black family tree.

I think you could assume that they certainly were a pure-blood family but it doesn't necessarily follow that they'd all be Slytherins.

Banner by the fabulous Julia - theoplaeye

DarkAngel
    I think you could assume that they certainly were a pure-blood family but it doesn't necessarily follow that they'd all be Slytherins.
    Yeah, I agree with that.

So, what does Daphne look like?

Do you see her as the spoiled, rich-kid kind of girl, who was favoured by her parents?

Could Daphne be a perfect Slytherin, or one of the exceptional, nice, ones?

If Astoria was in a different house, say, Ravenclaw, what do you think her relationship with Daphne might be like?

BirdG
    We never hear anything about the Greengrass family being involved with the Death Eaters. Where do you think the family stood during the war?

I should preface this by saying that in my fanon, the Greengrasses are Jewish. The reason for this being my google-fu revealed that Greengrass either tends to be a very WASP-y name or a very Jewish one. So I went with the latter just to be different. This is how I make important writing decisions.

They're also a very old pureblood family. Daphne and Asteria's mother, in my fanon, is a half-blood but her father's family is a very old Swiss wizarding family. So their mother and their father were very proud of their long wizarding lineage.

So the Greengrasses were conflicted. They believed in tradition, in being proud of their heritage and in the superiority of the wizarding world over the Muggle but they hated the Death Eaters who reminded them of the Nazis and WWII. The latter being one of the reason they felt the Muggle world was so backward.

In my world, they started out by keeping their heads down but ended up fighting at the end.

Totally was in my stories!

Asteria - She cares about her and they are similar in many ways but like any typical sibling relationship, they fought a lot when they were younger and Asteria annoyed her.

Pansy - BFF. Yes, Pansy could be a total pill and their relationship was strained during their 7th year. But I think Daphne was both a little insecure about standing up to Pansy and also a little in awe of Pansy's audacity. Plus, Pansy was nice to her and a good friend to her so Daphne tended to overlook her less than stellar qualities.

Draco - Doesn't care for him. Didn't like how he treated Pansy and never understood what Pansy saw him or what Asteria sees in him.

Crabbe & Goyle - Idiots. Though Goyle is the less offensive of the two.

Blaise - Full of himself but mostly tolerable.

Tracy, Millicent and Theo - All ok in her book.a

What do you see her as being like personality-wise? Spoiled but relatively easy-going. She's not a type-A Slytherin like Draco or Pansy or even Asteria. She doesn't have a need to prove anything to anyone. Very gregarious and charming, a natural diplomat or hostess. She tends to go along to get along which can make her seem like a pushover but there are things she will fight for.

AlexGinny1
    I always see Daphne as a b*tchy spoiled girl who was best friends with Pansy and Millicent. She has a huge crush on Blaise and Zach Smith. She has long light blonde hair but she gets it cut into a featherd style with more blonde highlights in her 7th year.

She is a huge Daddy's girl. Her father is a death-eater
    She isn't on good terms with Astoria who I always pictured as a Ravenclaw and she doesn't care for her mother abit but she likes her at times.

wishbones and witches
    We never hear anything about the Greengrass family being involved with the Death Eaters. Where do you think the family stood during the war?
    No, I don't think they were involved with either side during the war. I think they'd be very good at self-preservation and so would try and stay out of the war altogether, prefering to shelter beneath either their blood status or innocence, depending on which side won.

I doubt it purely because she never really said much during the series or ever stood up to Pansy so she's probably not that outspoken about her beliefs. I think she'd let herself be led by other people and so wouldn't go against the Slytherin grain by returning.

I don't see her as spending much time with her sister in school, but growing up they would have been close. They're only two years apart and I see them of having a very close relationship, the type where the younger child acts older than normal and the older child acts younger to try and level out the playing field. They would have grown up in the country-side far away from any other wizards or witches and wouldn't have liked the idea of playing with muggle children so would have just had each other for company.
    I reckon she'd be in Pansy's gang, but not her best friend. I think she would have had another best friend within the group. I think she would have let Pansy boss her about a bit because she craved acceptance in the Slytherin gang.

I think she'd be very conscious of her own goals and reasons for doing things but still often get peer pressured into doing things. She would come across as fairly confident and well-adjusted, but have a hard time holding her own when confronted with someone who's as sure of themself as Pansy. She doesn't really get involved with things that don't directly concern her so doesn't really join in with Pansy while she's teasing other people. I think she'd be very private and be a bit weary of those around her.

So, what does Daphne look like?
    I've never really thought about what she looked like, but I imagine her as being very attractive and aware of that, perhaps believing there wasn't too much else to her. She uses her looks to get what she wants and when they suffer, so does her confidence.

Do you see her as the spoiled, rich-kid kind of girl, who was favoured by her parents?
    Yes and no. I do imagine her as being rich and pampered to an extent, but not over-indulged. I think she'd have lived a comfortable life but hadn't been molly-coddled and although her parents are loving she's always maintained a distance from them.

Could Daphne be a perfect Slytherin, or one of the exceptional, nice, ones?
    Depends on what you mean by a perfect Slytherin. I don't imagine her as being a bitch and I don't see that as being one of the qualities of the Slytherin house but I don't see her as going out of her way to be nice. I think she would have some Slytherin qualities (self-preservation, resourcefulness and, to an extent, cunning) but be lacking others (ambition and determination)

If Astoria was in a different house, say, Ravenclaw, what do you think her relationship with Daphne might be like?
    I think it would be different; I think they'd be more distant and unsure of their relationship but I don't think they'd fall out over it or anything. I think there'd be a lot of tension if that did happen though.