Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Astoria Malfoy (née Greengrass)

Wizengamot Hufflepuff
    Kill the Spare
    Nope, she's said nothing about looks. All she said was that Astoria was Daphne's sister, a Slytherin and two years below them. She had Draco marry her because she didn't want Pansy having a happy ending (ha ha).

But then JKR doesn't go in for reams of description. We only found out Ron had blue eyes when someone asked her before HBP. Not many of the actors resemble the characters. Film harry has blue eyes, Emma Watson has straight teeth, the twins are tall ... etc etc. I don't picture the actors when I write (except Rupert Grint ... curiously), I just write the ones in my head.

~Carole~
    I'm a BARMAID. I write. I drabble. I duel. I poet. I'm a BADGER!!!

Banner by minnabird

Astoria Greengrass
    I picture Tom Felton for Draco, except with grey eyes. We don't know anything from JKR about how Astoria or Daphne are supposed to look. I think they just asked Tom (if I can remember the interview right) a few months beforehand if he wanted his girlfriend Jade to play Astoria in the Epilogue scene of the movie. I don't think they had a casting call, he just had to talk her into taking the part.

Rose Nym

What do you think of a half-blood Astoria?

I have read all your thoughts on Astoria, and it's interesting how many different opinions there are. In my Lucius/Narcissa fic, a major plot point is Draco's parents' reactions to him falling for Astoria. Lucius and Narcissa love Draco, but they are shocked because they think Astoria is unsuitable for him. My question to you is this: if I developed the characters well enough, do you think a half-blood Astoria could be pulled off without an AU warning? To be fair to my position, the only canonical evidence we have of her blood status is this: "Ron: (to Rose) Don't get too friendly with him (Scorpius), your grandfather would never forgive you if you married a pure-blood."
    I'm sure Ron isn't on speaking terms with the Malfoys, and might not know more about Draco's wife than he assumes (or reads in the Prophet).
    Now, having her be a Muggle or Muggle-born would be way too far-fetched, but what about half-blood? That would make Scorpius three-quarters pure-blood, so Ron wouldn't be too far off. I see Draco being a little rebellious after the war, and not likely to submit to an arranged marriage. If Astoria was half-blood, it could have been covered up. (Remember Snape?)

Now, appearance of Astoria: I'm definitely the minority here. Let me say first off that Scorpius being blond does not nessitate (spelling) a blond Astoria. Even in Muggle families, (ex. my family!) there are sometimes blonds with dark-haired parents. I expect Wizarding genetics is even wierder. Plus, the Malfoys are so in-bred that I wouldn't be surprised if all their kids are blond.
    So: I have a picture in my head of Astoria as a beautiful woman, mature for her age, with chocolate skin and curly black hair. Scorpius looks just like Draco at first look, but if you examine him closely you can see that he's rosier and his hair is thicker.
    My final word: Continue writing the Draco/Astoria ship, serious fanfiction writers. We need more fics that aren't really Tom/Jade in disguise!

Astoria Greengrass
    That's an interesting suggestion... I'm not sure. Although I can picture Draco being a bit rebellious, it would be hard for him (at least in-canon) to sway from the hardcore beliefs of his family. Yes, I do think that he's realized that his father is not God by the end of the series but I think he'd still have a bit of respect for him. Or if not that, for his mother. You could probably try to go along with a half-blood Astoria but you'd have try to make it very convincing.

Your opinion of her appearance is interesting as well. I'm in the minority as well because I picture Astoria as slim with long brown hair and eyes. More like Amina Kaddur than Jade Olivia. I kind of let Draco's "rebelliousness" be in her personality. My Astoria is a bit of a smartass, and I thought he'd be attracted to someone like that because I think he'd have to learn to respect her as an equal before he'd fall for her.

Ebil Lieutenant Ravenclaw
    Attending a Deathday Party
    Quote Originally Posted by Rose Nym
    I have read all your thoughts on Astoria, and it's interesting how many different opinions there are. In my Lucius/Narcissa fic, a major plot point is Draco's parents' reactions to him falling for Astoria. Lucius and Narcissa love Draco, but they are shocked because they think Astoria is unsuitable for him. My question to you is this: if I developed the characters well enough, do you think a half-blood Astoria could be pulled off without an AU warning? To be fair to my position, the only canonical evidence we have of her blood status is this: "Ron: (to Rose) Don't get too friendly with him (Scorpius), your grandfather would never forgive you if you married a pure-blood."
    I'm sure Ron isn't on speaking terms with the Malfoys, and might not know more about Draco's wife than he assumes (or reads in the Prophet).
    Now, having her be a Muggle or Muggle-born would be way too far-fetched, but what about half-blood? That would make Scorpius three-quarters pure-blood, so Ron wouldn't be too far off. I see Draco being a little rebellious after the war, and not likely to submit to an arranged marriage. If Astoria was half-blood, it could have been covered up. (Remember Snape?)

Now, appearance of Astoria: I'm definitely the minority here. Let me say first off that Scorpius being blond does not nessitate (spelling) a blond Astoria. Even in Muggle families, (ex. my family!) there are sometimes blonds with dark-haired parents. I expect Wizarding genetics is even wierder. Plus, the Malfoys are so in-bred that I wouldn't be surprised if all their kids are blond.
    So: I have a picture in my head of Astoria as a beautiful woman, mature for her age, with chocolate skin and curly black hair. Scorpius looks just like Draco at first look, but if you examine him closely you can see that he's rosier and his hair is thicker.
    My final word: Continue writing the Draco/Astoria ship, serious fanfiction writers. We need more fics that aren't really Tom/Jade in disguise!
    That's true. It could be covered up. Perhaps, if you don't want to make it too obvious, maybe Astoria's mum or dad has Muggleborns for parents? That would be a lot easier to cover up. Or, an easier option is simply to have Astoria have a step-parent who is pureblood and the other parent be pureblood too. That way, her blood status could be covered up really easily. As for Astoria's appearance, to each her own, that's what I think. I kind of doubt that Astoria would be black, though, just because of JKR's description of Scorpius as looking exactly like Draco--wouldn't Scorpius be darker than Draco if his mum had chocolate brown skin?

That's what I think, at least. Thankfully, I'm not actually writing any Draco/Astoria, as this is rather confusing for me.

Beautiful banner by the lovely Pooja/Ginny Weasley Potter.

Keep calm and carry on my wayward son.

Seventh Year Hufflepuff
    Am I in the Right House?
    JK has said in interviews that Astoria was in Slytherin along with her sister. They certainly don't have to be pure-bloods, and half-bloods have been in Slytherin before (Tom Riddle, Severus Snape) but whether they could be half-bloods or not depends on how likely you believe it is for a half-blood to get Sorted into Slytherin at all, particularly after the First Voldemort War.

I would agree with Annalise that it makes more sense for Astoria and Daphne to possibly have a Muggle grandparent or two and be considered half-blood in that sense. If for instance, one of their parents or even grandparents was a Muggle born wizard or witch. I could see very purity obsessed Slytherins considering that bad blood.

As for what Astoria looks like, it would be difficult for Scorpius to look dead on like Draco unless Astoria didn't look somewhat similar - lighter skin, lighter hair. It's certainly possible for her to have "chocolate brown skin" and have Scorpius be as light skinned as he is, one of my friends from high school is mixed race, half-black and half-white and looks dead on her mother - blonde, blue eyed, pale skin.

Honestly, since JK has so much referential naming, I always imagined the Greengrasses to have green eyes, or to be known for it anyway. Possibly blonde hair and green eyes. It's a stretch, but some of her other names are ridiculously referential so it's not a stretch.

Edit: post nargles. This should be after Annalise's post.
    Stories Duels Poems Drabbles
    Proud Puff on MNFF and Slyth on Pottermore

Banner by the awesome Minnabird Icon by wicked visions on LJ

Seventh Year Gryffindor
    Being Chased by Singing Dwarves with Valentines
    This is why blood-purity always confused me, because isnt it based on your grandparents? So as long as all of her grandparents were wizards, would she be considered pureblood (ie her grandmother was a Muggleborn?)

I actually had to look up this Jade person, and my first thought was that I imagined Astoria to be prettier, and NOT a brunette. As lame as this is, I imagine her to have a sort of titian hair colour (so like Cinderella's hair colour from the 1950s version, so like not right blonde, if that makes sense) and light colours eyes...but not super pale, kind of with a natural blush. And I imagine her to be quite thin, as bad as that sounds.
    GRYFFINDOR PRIDE!
    Avvie by me, banner by TM_Wandstick.
    It matters not what one is born, but what they become.Don't let your praying knees get lazy, and love like crazy!

Fifth Year Slytherin
    What's With Mars?
    Hmm, you present good ideas, but I think Tom and Snape's cover-ups were very rare. Not many purebloods (from what I can see) marry half bloods or muggleborns, unless they are trying to stand out and be different eg. James, Sirius if he had married, Andromeda, Eileen Prince, or Merope Gaunt, who was a pretty special case. It could certainly work, but I think some readers may have a hard time believing that she was a half blood. If it was written well enough, sure, but I think it would be best to keep it as what is widely known as canon.

I've done a tiny bit of research, and it doesn't really say what her blood status is. So yes, as long as it is written well, it should be fine!

As for Astoria having chocolate-brown skin, I wouldn't recommend this. Scorpius is known for his very light skin tone. My cousins, who's parents are light and dark skinned, are in-between that. Although there are some cases where the child will turn out light skinned, I doubt that readers would buy Astoria being dark skinned. I'd go with something like.. Olive toned, auburn or light brown hair. But I suppose it is totally up to you.

Hope this helped even a tiny bit :P

~ Annalise x

Ronnie, Lyss, Becca, Andi, you guys are amazing. <3

I'M BACK, BABY! *evil laugh*

Wizengamot Ravenclaw
    You idiot! Always playing the Hero!
    In Secrets of the Class List, it was assumed that Daphne Greengrass was a blonde girl based on her last name, and I suppose that is what I draw my own ideas from as far as picturing Astoria as a blonde.

Brand New Story!

Banner by lullaby_BANG. Completely awesome avi came from here!

My brand new trailer for Snape Didn't Die by thegirllikeme to serve as a constant source of inspiration whilst I write!

Ebil Lieutenant Ravenclaw
    Attending a Deathday Party
    Quote Originally Posted by Annalise28
    As for Astoria having chocolate-brown skin, I wouldn't recommend this. Scorpius is known for his very light skin tone. My cousins, who's parents are light and dark skinned, are in-between that. Although there are some cases where the child will turn out light skinned, I doubt that readers would buy Astoria being dark skinned. I'd go with something like.. Olive toned, auburn or light brown hair. But I suppose it is totally up to you.

Hope this helped even a tiny bit :P

~ Annalise x
    I agree with you on that. I just didn't want to say for fear of people telling me I'm racist--which I'm not, of course--but while we're on the subject, do you think that Draco would be picky in that respect as well as purity of blood? As in, do you think Draco would marry someone who's black?

Beautiful banner by the lovely Pooja/Ginny Weasley Potter.

Keep calm and carry on my wayward son.