Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Astoria Malfoy (née Greengrass)

BirdG
    Asteria tends to have black hair in my mind and blue-green eyes. After all, with Draco and his entire family being blond, it's not necessary for Asteria to be blond as well for Scorpius to be. (Though it's definitely possibly she is!)

Also, I tend to favor the Asteria spelling of her name because that's how JKR spelled it on the Weasley family tree. While Astoria does sound so much more posh, I like Asteria better because of how it fits in with the other names in the Greengrass-Malfoy family. It's from Greek Mythology like Daphne, Draco and Scorpius and means "starry". Asteria was a Titan like Hyperion (Scorpius' middle name) and the goddess of astrology and necromancy. And like Narcissa, it's a floral name! Narcissa being after the narcissus flower and Asteria being after the aster flower.

Anywho. My Asteria tends to be pretty different from most versions of Asteria out there. However, like most people in this thread, I see her as being in Slytherin. It's also pretty popular to have her in Ravenclaw but I've yet to see a Hufflepuff or Gryffindor Asteria.

I see Asteria as getting along well with Daphne, moreso as they've grown older than when they were younger.

Fifth Year Hufflepuff
    People Hate Me for Losing Points
    Hello!

I have seen quite a lot of opinions here, but here are mine.

I think that Astoria is a tough girl on the outside. She behaves quite tough on the outside, but on the inside she is actually nice. Okay, maybe not like those cliche evil characters you get: Devil on the outside but soft, sweet bunny rabbit on the inside, who was actually trying to do good in the world but was misunderstood. Not like that way. I mean to say that she is normally really striking, but she is nice hearted. After all, she supported Draco when he needed someone. If she really had been bad would she have done so? I doubt it.

And yes, I think she is a Slytherin. A good Slytherin though, after all, all Slytherins are not bad, the same way that all Gryffindors are not heroes (take McLaggen and Pettigrew for example). And they say Andromeda was a Slytherin so... yep, Slytherin it is. She'd also be a LITTLE bit arrogant; after all, most Slytherins we see are.

As for her looks, I always thought her to have blond hair. I think she would be tall, and slightly rebellious. Like DarkAngel had said, not the goody-two-shoes like Daphne. She would probably have blue or green eyes.

--Nadia

{iBAbanner!} ~♥~ {iDrabble!} ~♥~ {iExcerpt!} ~♥~ {iPuff!}

Awesomical banner by TM_WandStick/Toni!
    Chapter 12 up!

Sixth Year Slytherin
    De-gnoming the Garden

To me, Draco struck me as a Momma's boy. So I picture Astoria as being similar to Narcissia but not so close that it becomes weird.

With Draco being apart of the Black and Malfoy family, I'm sure the Greengrass clan would have to share some of the same beliefs as the family they are being brought into. So Astoria may carry some of the same prejudices that Draco was raised with.

Yet I feel that she is just as ambitious and as strong willed (maybe even stronger) just like Narcissia. I think, when you are marrying into a rich family, you can't be a meek mouse who hopes for some crumbs to fall in the way. I think she has to be bold in some sense, but not overpowering. She has to show that she has a mind of her own, but still knows how and when to use it to fit her needs. That is why I picture her as a Slyth.

And because of this it kind falls in line with DarkAngel's comments….

Quote Originally Posted by DarkAngel
    As for her older sister. I agree with the fact that there might be complications between them. I was actually surprised when I got to know Draco's wife's identity. I mean, two years younger? And she wasn't mentioned in the books.
    I see her as the type who was sitting in the background waiting for the right moment to make her move. Kind of like how Anne Boleyn was when her older sister was in a relationship with Henry VIII. Prince Charles had dated Diana's older sister before he courted her. So there is the possibility that Draco was courting Daphne first before taking up with Astoria. It would make sense, cause even in an arrange marriage you would want to marry off the older sibling first before the younger ones.

Quote Originally Posted by OliveOil_Med
    What do you see her parenting style as? Do you think she accepts help from Narcissa, or sees her more as the interfering mother-in-law? What kind of wife do you see her as to Draco?
    No never. It's a primal struggle between alpha females that's been going on for centuries.

From experience, I never liked taking advice from my Mom when it comes to parenting my child. There's just too much pride there cause you want to feel like you know your child better so you should know best. And I think Astoria would see it that way.

I think she would respectfully advise Narcissia that she is the mother of her child and is raising him as she see fit. But Narcissia being the patriarch of the family will find a way to put in her two cents in regards to her son and grandson. Eventually, she would have to put her foot down to her mother-in-law.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkAngel
    Wasn't there something in the books where it said that Lucius was supposed to marry Andromeda but married Narcissa because Andromeda ran off with Ted Tonks? Or is it something I read in fanfiction?
    I believe that is fanfiction, hun. I saw something like that in the plot bunny clinic sometime last year. I'm hoping to find the story to that cause it sounds too interesting.
    M.R.S.

Fifth Year Hufflepuff
    People Hate Me for Losing Points
    Quote Originally Posted by Rish
    Wasn't there something in the books where it said that Lucius was supposed to marry Andromeda but married Narcissa because Andromeda ran off with Ted Tonks? Or is it something I read in fanfiction?
    No Rish, its fanfiction. I dont remember which one it was, but it's definitely fanfiction. Anything like this was never stated in the books.

--Nadia

{iBAbanner!} ~♥~ {iDrabble!} ~♥~ {iExcerpt!} ~♥~ {iPuff!}

Awesomical banner by TM_WandStick/Toni!
    Chapter 12 up!

PurpleTree
    Personally, since JK Rowling never said which house she was in, I have imagined that Astoria would have been in Ravenclaw or Hufflepuff. Then, Draco would have married her to improve the Malfoy's image. (She was still pureblood but not in Slytherin.) About her looks, I think she would have been tall, blonde, but with softer features to counteract Draco's.

She might have a little ego, but in my mind would be softer-spoken than Draco. I imagine her kind of being a "good influence" of a sort, on Draco, and then being an adoring but stern mother to Scorpius.

Also, this is a bit obvious, but I think that she would be several years younger than Draco.

Have fun writing!

~ ~

AlexGinny1
    Personally JK Rowling never said which house she was in, I have always imagined that Astoria would have been in Ravenclaw or Hufflepuff. Which would help Draco improve the Malfoy's image and bring a kinder and happier side into the family. (She was still pureblood) Her looks I see her as smallish with brown hair and she would always been seen with a book in her hands while her older sister Daphne was blonde, mean, love make up and also the best female friend of Pansy Parkinson.

Her best friends are Ginny Weasley, Colin Creevey and a few Ravenclaws in her year.

Wizengamot Ravenclaw
    You idiot! Always playing the Hero!
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexGinny1
    Personally JK Rowling never said which house she was in, I have always imagined that Astoria would have been in Ravenclaw or Hufflepuff.
    Yes, but her older sister is in Slytherin, and JK has mentioned in interviews that the Greengrass' are yet another old pureblood family. Keeping that in mind, Slytherin does seem like the most likely choice. And even after all that has happened with the war, I don't see Draco having changed so much that he marries the Greengrass-female semi-version of Sirius Black.

But, if you are to place Astoria in a House other than Slytherin, my advice would be to have it well planned out so that it seems believable. Because children from Slytherin families being placed in Houses other than Slytherin has become something of a cliche these days.

Brand New Story!

Banner by lullaby_BANG. Completely awesome avi came from here!

My brand new trailer for Snape Didn't Die by thegirllikeme to serve as a constant source of inspiration whilst I write!

U-No-Poo
    I've always assumed Astoria to be a Slytherin, and 'the perfect pureblood daughter'. She would have obeyed every word her family told her, and when they arranged for Astoria's marriage to Draco, she probably didn't love him, but married to 'uphold the pureblood status'. She would have been the perfect pureblood wife; a pretty blonde who spent her days gossiping with her other pureblood women friends, such as Pansy and her sister. Although she would have loved her son, she would have distanced herself from him. It's not the most postitive image of her here, but to me, that's the reality of it.

LifeAtRandom
    There aren't many canon facts about Astoria, which gives writers free reign on creating their own details about Astoria. It's a possibility that she's Ravenclaw, but I can't imagine Malfoy marrying a Hufflepuff or Gryffindor. I really recommend that writers put Astoria is Slytherin because that's where Daphne was, and also the surname Greengrass is a color associated with Slytherin.

Here's my take on Astoria--she either has blonde or light brown hair, and green eyes (I picture all Greengrasses have green eyes simply because of the name). I don't agree with Astoria having a combination of blonde hair and blue eyes because that sounds too much like Narcissa Malfoy, and that would be creepy.

For personality, I don't see Astoria as the rebellious type, for some reason that rebellion only applies to Daphne in my mind. I imagine Astoria as a sort of submissive wife, yet she's not afraid to take control when she she has to. Even though she's Slytherin, she doesn't really appear to be because she comes off as quiet and shy. I think like Narcissa, she has strong loyalty to her family alone. For some reason I don't picture the Greengrass family as being huge on pure-blood supremacy, maybe they just have a distasteful opinion of Muggles and would prefer to keep the family line with other witches and wizards. But I can easily be wrong about that, and Astoria can be like Narcissa where she's very arrogant and hates Muggles.

Anyway, for some reason I'd rather give Astoria this sweet personality so that it contrasts with Malfoys, you know, opposites attracting. I see Daphne as the sister who disappoints her family and Astoria as being the perfect one, not the other way around.

memish
    I also believe that Astoria was likely also in Slytherin. It seems very improbable that Draco would've married a Hufflepuff or Gryffindor and quite unlikely he would've married a Ravenclaw. I think Astoria would need some sly and cunning to keep up with her lovely in laws, as well! Hehe...

In my mind she has dark hair, but I'm not sure if that makes sense if little Scorpius has blonde hair...hm...I guess I could go either

I imagine she would have a good relationship with her family. I think that she and Draco met not becuase it was arranged or anything, but lots of different parents would kind of "discuss" it, you know, and try to set up all their different children and see what works. I don't know why everyone thinks purebloods get arranged marriages? I think most of them would marry each other just becuase that's what they've been raised to do, except of course the stand outs like Sirius. When you're raised from birth with that in-group mentality, you don't want to be the one to step outside the box.

Astoria would have Draco wrapped right around her little finger. In public, I think she would be sweet and rather tame, but the people who know them better would know that she is as cunning and manipulative as Draco can be and they use each other in little games of cat and mouse. Astoria would be very ashamed of Draco's actions with Voldemort, becuase she would think it was an awful waste of time and stupid. She might be a little shallow. I think she would be very resourceful and determined in that, but in the end, I think they were really attracted to each other when they got married and would grow to love each other over the years, so they would have one of those kind of messed up but good marriages.

I don't remember hearing much about Daphne in the books, so maybe she was less involved with the "dark" stuff than some of the other Slytherins? I actually imagine her and Astoria would be close and Daphne would tell her embarassing stories about Draco at school, haha :]