Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 LastLast

Thread: Ask a Moderator: Thread Trois

Vindictus Viridian
    I did a little scrounging around, and will have to say that in this case the Lexicon appears to have been sloppy. Almost the whole creature list is capitalized, and several of them are not in my copies of the books. The boggart is not capitalized in OotP, nor in PoA.

I also had a look at your posted fics, and could see where there would be some question about whether a story of yours would be a humorous romance or a romantic comedy.

Since someone else modded it before, I will keep an eye out for your resubmitted fic, and add a new judgement call to the old, but be warned I am absolute murder on dialogue errors and other issues of mechanics. The Boggart won't get you, but an absence of commas certainly will.

I believe the RoR is a mod-approved forum, and the thread will come up soon.

Perselus
    <i>I also had a look at your posted fics, and could see where there would be some question about whether a story of yours would be a humorous romance or a romantic comedy.</i>

But there isn't a category like that, is there? Because if there was a Romantic Comedy, I would have chosen that. The point is that according to the rules in your site, the author should choose the category that they feel best fit their story. So, what's your advice on what category I should choose at this point? If I choose Humor, will it be rejected again?

And like I said before, if a mod thinks my grammar or sentence and dialogue construction is wrong, i will change that with no problems, I just like to know that things are fair.

Perselus

Resubmitted

I have resubmitted the story with "Hall Duty" fixed, there rest I left as it was before.

bewitching

< b r >

Without the spaces, that code is called a break. Two of them equal hitting the 'Enter' key, and one is like 'Tab'. They probably were automatically put in after you entered your fics, and when you went in to edit them, they were still there.

AlexisTaylor
    When you're writing a romantic comedy, the underlying theme is romance, funny or serious. In that case, I agree with the mod.

Schmerg_The_Impaler
    This is a question of etiquette. A few months ago-- when the new beta boards were young and shiny-- a very nice person from my own house (I'll call her some_person here, to protect privacy) offered to beta my fanfictions. Naturally, I was thrilled, and sent her the first chapter of one of my stories, then gave her my email address so she could contact me through email. I didn't hear back from her in several weeks, so I sent her a private message, and she said she was sorry, she had accidentally deleted my previous PMs and hadn't gotten back to me, so I resent the information.

I still haven't heard from her, and apparently, some_person can't receive anymore PMs until she clears out her inbox.

My question is, when is it all right to switch betas? I'm new to the world of fanfiction-- I didn't know anyone other than me wrote fanfictions before stumbling across this site-- and I don't have any stories posted on MNFF because I haven't heard anything from said beta.

What should I do?

--Schmergo

AlexisTaylor
    Your beta has pretty much broken the only rule of her job- to beta.

It's perfectly fine to look for a new beta (and remember that you're always allowed to have more than one) if the one you currently have is not providing adequate services.

Fifth Year Ravenclaw
    Looking for Nicholas Flamel

I know that not everyone shows up who has you as a favorite author when you click on that link, but I thought it was because some people had stories up and others didn't. I was just wondering why my friend, Oliver_Wood shows up when some people don't even though she doesn't have a story up.

Sorry, the question's a bit... trivial, but I've just been wondering about it for a while.

GORGEOUS banner by Kat/Mistletoe! Thank you so much!
    Icon by me [disillusion_row on livejournal].

PhoenixWriter
    I hope this is the right place to ask this question in case it isn't, please let me know.

I'd like to know how you handle Plagiarism? The reason why I ask this is pretty easy a few months ago I contacted a Moderator of this FanFiction-Archive because following fic Just....More by Lena Jackson is actually my own fic but apparently nothing happened though I got a reply.

Following e-mail send January 1st 2006:
    Hi *****,
    Today I visited fanfiction-mugglenet, I noticed a
    Fanfiction with the title: Just..More. Naturally, I
    was rather curious since I have a similar Fanfiction
    posted on: The Snitch, Portkey, Fictionalley etc.

So I had a look at it and discovered it is indeed my
    fanfic just posted by someone else. I'll forward to
    you the link to that story on MuggleNet and several
    links where I posted my fic. I hope that's all right.

http://fanfiction.mugglenet.com/viewstory.php?sid=33946
    "Just...More"
    by Lena Jackson posted 10th October 2005

http://fanfiction.portkey.org/story/2247
    "Just More" by PhoenixWriter
    posted 30th May 2004

http://www.astronomytower.org/cgi-bi...p.cgi?ID=10784

"Just More" by PhoenixWriter posted 16th October 2003

http://www.thesnitch.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=696

"Just More" by PhoenixWriter posted 7th July 2004

I hope this will help and show this Fanfic is indeed
    one of mine.

Thank you,
    That's why I'd like to know how something like this is treatened?

Marauder by Midnight
    Quote Originally Posted by lily_evans34
    I know that not everyone shows up who has you as a favorite author when you click on that link, but I thought it was because some people had stories up and others didn't. I was just wondering why my friend, Oliver_Wood shows up when some people don't even though she doesn't have a story up.

Sorry, the question's a bit... trivial, but I've just been wondering about it for a while.
    I'm guessing that's a bit of a glitch. I actually didn't know they only showed up on the favourite author page if they had stories. I don't know if that is the case or not.

Quote Originally Posted by phoenix writer
    I hope this is the right place to ask this question in case it isn't, please let me know.

I'd like to know how you handle Plagiarism? The reason why I ask this is pretty easy a few months ago I contacted a Moderator of this FanFiction-Archive because following fic Just....More by Lena Jackson is actually my own fic but apparently nothing happened though I got a reply.

Following e-mail send January 1st 2006:
    Oh my. That is something we need to take care of immediately. I'll look into it and take action. Thank you for reporting it.