Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 513141516 LastLast

Thread: Ask a Moderator: Thread Trois

Atrain Volecuz
    Alright, Im pretty sure this was the place to come when I wanted to ask my question. Sorry if it's not.

I was just wondering if seeing as my Fan-Fic isnt as bad as it's going to get, should I rate my prologue higher? Like say a 6th-7th years type thing? I dont want to rate it too low so younger people read the prologue and first chapter and think its not going to get worse, because it is. Any help from a mod, or someone is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
    -Atrain

rita_skeeter
    Quote Originally Posted by Atrain Volecuz
    Alright, Im pretty sure this was the place to come when I wanted to ask my question. Sorry if it's not.

I was just wondering if seeing as my Fan-Fic isnt as bad as it's going to get, should I rate my prologue higher? Like say a 6th-7th years type thing? I dont want to rate it too low so younger people read the prologue and first chapter and think its not going to get worse, because it is. Any help from a mod, or someone is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
    -Atrain
    Please rate your prologue with the rating demanded by the entire story. That way, any readers will know what to expect from your full story before they begin reading it.

Unregistered

Signing In (Or Not, As The Case May Be!)

I can't seem to sign in - whenever I do, it says, thank you for signing in Oppungo, you will be automatically redirected, as usual, but instead it takes me back to the original page, unsigned in! What's even stranger is that it says I am signed in under Currently Active Users. I've tried closing the window and opening a new one several times - does anyone know what's wrong?

Thanks!
    Oppungo

Oppungo
    Okay, it works again now! Sorry about that! I just completely shut down my computer and restarted it. Don't know what the problem was, but that seemed to be the solution! Sorry and thanks!

Julybug

What happens when?

Hi there -

I submitted a chapter to my story "Harry Potter and Hope for the End" (Romance- H/G/Hr/R) on 7/30/06, with the request that Robin mod it. It hasn't been validated (or deleted) yet, and I haven't heard from her when I PM'd her (she always responds right away). Is she ok? I hesitate to have someone else mod it, for various reasons, but should I? I'm just curious...If she's just on vacation, I'll wait, unless it will be another week and a half.

Thanks,
    Julybug

Starmaiden
    I accidentally submitted the same review twice (and with too many HTML tags, dang it). I tried to delete one, but neither one would delete. Are those tags at the bottom just for show, or are they supposed to work?

If you can't figure out how I can delete them, could a mod please get rid of both for me? I saved a copy of the review, so I can just repost it.

Chapter and review

Edit: Thanks, Deanine!

7. 08-11-2006, 05:32 AM

deanine
    Oppugno and everyone - A lot of people have been experiencing this sort of glitch on the MNFF site and the boards. Rebooting seems to fix it for everyone who has tried that solution.

JulyBug - Robin is having some internet issues at this time.

Starmaiden - I'll fix that now.

Julybug

re:what happens when?

Quote Originally Posted by deanine
    JulyBug - Robin is having some internet issues at this time.
    Thanks.

I don't suppose you know I time frame for when she'll be back up? I don't want to nag her (and obviously not PM her if she's not online), but I also don't want to wait a month before I can find out if the chapter's even been approved.

Thanks again.
    Julybug

Oppungo
    I usually copy and paste my reviews, as they're quite long and I like to make sure that they're spelled correctly and so on. Yet I tried this three times for one fic, and it wouldn't work - it only did the first paragraph! So then I just typed it out manually into the review space instead of copy and pasting, but it signed me out as I'd obviously taken too long, so I still couldn't leave the review!

Does anyone know if there's an obvious glitch, or should I just keep trying? I'll try doing it again, differently, and hopefully it will work, but please could someone delete my 3 half reviews? The link is here. Thank you!

Seventh Year Ravenclaw
    Attending a Deathday Party
    Here's something for you -
    I use the Lexicon Potterwords page all the time, and you'll notice there are lots of words that can go either way in terms of being capitalized. For example, here's what the Lexicon says about headmaster:
    Headmaster/Headmistress/Head
    NB The UK and US editions differ here. The UK edition almost always uses an initial capital when talking about people, whereas the headmasters and headmistresses in the portraits are usually in lower case. The US edition only uses a capital only when Headmaster is being used as a title, as in ‘Headmaster Dumbledore’.
    'Headmasters and mistresses'/'headmasters and headmistresses'
    So my first question - does MNFF want us to use UK or US editions?
    And now that Dumbledore is dead, how should we use the word? For example, in the phrase "the late headmaster" I haven't capitalized it because I wasn't using the word as a proper noun. Should I? And if so - do I need to go back and change it in previous chapters of a chaptered fic, should I change it from here on out, or can I continue to use the word they way I have been so far in my story?
    It's sort of a pain to go back and edit when those silly <br> tags keep multiplying like rabbits each time but I will if I have to.

And the same thing goes for Potions master:
    Potions master (also ‘potions master’ once in early editions of CoS)
    I did not capitalize "potions master" either - should I go back and change that too? Or can I continue with ongoing chapters the same way? It seems more appropriate to me as lower case, but I'm not JKR.

Many thanks to the great authors in EoM who pointed this out to me! I just want to clarify it (and take the easiest road possible<g>) before I submit something that is different from what I've already started.
    Thanks!!
    ~Gina