Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Ask a Moderator: Thread Trois

anangeliam05

I have another question

Okay, I am not very happy about what has been said in the rejection letter I received from a moderator (which is below in " ").

"Draco is out of character throughout your chapter. It does not fit his character to have him so in love with Hermione without some explanation of why, after six years of hating her, he\'s decided that he is now in love with her and needs to make her fall in love with him. I could see him using the idea of a secret admirer to get her to fall in love with him for some other reason and then falling in love with her along the way, but not because he loves her for no reason."

Is not true, yes Draco is a bit OOC but of course he is going to be! We all know that in JK's world Draco and Hermione hate eachother so they obviously are going to be a little OOC. Also, I want to point out that this chapter I am speaking of was chapter six! Which means there are five chapters before it developing and explaining as well as giving the background on how Draco came to "love" and admire Hermione.

I find it hard to beleive that Draco's feelings toward Hermione in my fic are "unbeleivable" because of the fact that I have five chapters before it backing it up!

Now for my question: Is there any way possible that the moderators could take into consideration what the authors might have established in previous chapters? I can probably cover many others when I say this, we do not repeat every detail on why so and so like him/her in every chapter!

Potterphile12
    Well, first of all, this seems less of a question and more of a rant against a moderator.

We try as much as possible to take into consideration what might have transpired in previous chapters, but we moderate chapters as a single entity. No moderator can remember all the plots of all the stories in their category. That would be unreasonable. I know this story was submitted into the cat that I mod so I know that writing Hr/D is a very delicate process. My co mod knows that as well and we try as hard as possible to be reasonable with characterization.

Also, in future, I would recomend that you email or PM the mod who rejected your fic rather than airing your distress in public.

Marauder by Midnight
    Quote Originally Posted by anangeliam05
    Okay, I am not very happy about what has been said in the rejection letter I received from a moderator (which is below in " ").

"Draco is out of character throughout your chapter. It does not fit his character to have him so in love with Hermione without some explanation of why, after six years of hating her, he\'s decided that he is now in love with her and needs to make her fall in love with him. I could see him using the idea of a secret admirer to get her to fall in love with him for some other reason and then falling in love with her along the way, but not because he loves her for no reason."

Is not true, yes Draco is a bit OOC but of course he is going to be! We all know that in JK's world Draco and Hermione hate eachother so they obviously are going to be a little OOC. Also, I want to point out that this chapter I am speaking of was chapter six! Which means there are five chapters before it developing and explaining as well as giving the background on how Draco came to "love" and admire Hermione.

I find it hard to beleive that Draco's feelings toward Hermione in my fic are "unbeleivable" because of the fact that I have five chapters before it backing it up!

Now for my question: Is there any way possible that the moderators could take into consideration what the authors might have established in previous chapters? I can probably cover many others when I say this, we do not repeat every detail on why so and so like him/her in every chapter!
    Firstly, this is something you should speak to the moderator who rejected about. Explain (in a nicer way) the development of Draco's feelings and Draco's current characterization.

OOCness is something most authors actually do very well in avoiding, especially on this site; even the slightest bit of OOCness had been corrected by many authors when prompted to do so by moderators. Draco, Ginny, and Hermione are the most frequent victims of OOCness yet as much as their characterizations are "tweaked," other authors do perfectly fine in developing the characters Rowling gave us to believable characters functioning in believable stories.

I know some moderators ask authors who submit in their stories to add a note at the top (a note that would be deleted upon validation) that gives a short summary, for the moderators, about what had happened in the story already, what can be expected, and explanations for anything that would seem out of the ordinary. Feel free to add one to your story as well if you feel that moderators (sweepers, to be exact) may not understand the chapter to validate/reject fairly.

anangeliam05

thanks

Thanks. Oh and sorry for ranting about it. It has just happened several times with my fic any its so agrivating for me because I will fix the dialogue errors that are pointed out and resubmit it and it gets approved without any OOC problems by someone else. So thats why I posted that a few minutes ago.

I have also gone over the chapter since I received the letter and so has my beta and several friends. None of us can find the OOCness that is spoken of in the chapter.

lainie xox
    Quote Originally Posted by Marauder by Midnight
    I don't understand your question. The tags were still there though you couldn't see them?

Take off ALL the break tags and just leave a line between each paragraph.
    That's what I did. Even still, I was still rejected for spacing issues even though I went through a beta (little_kitty) and she never mentioned any other spacing problems with my fic. From there, I'm just assuming something happened again with tags to mess it up again without my doing.

Fly to Dawn
    I have two questions:

Does the avatar size have to be both under 100 x 100, and 19.5 KB? I'm guessing so, but on the 'Edit avatar' option it says 'whichever is smaller', so....

And also, is there a way to tell for how many days your fic has been in queue?

Thanks in advance!

little_kitty
    Quote Originally Posted by Fly to Dawn
    I have two questions:

Does the avatar size have to be both under 100 x 100, and 19.5 KB? I'm guessing so, but on the 'Edit avatar' option it says 'whichever is smaller', so....

And also, is there a way to tell for how many days your fic has been in queue?

Thanks in advance!
    Yes, I believe that is the case. If your avatar is over 100 X 100, it's too big. But if it's over 19.5 KB, it won't upload. so make sure that your avvie meets both standards.

No, you can't really tell how many days your fic has been in queue, I don't think. My suggestion is that next time when you submit something, record the date that you submitted it. If a mod doesn't get to it after a week, you can PM them and ask them to look into it for you.

Hope that helps.

--Little Kitty

Fifth Year Ravenclaw
    Looking for Nicholas Flamel

I have a similar question to anangeliam05's. My fic got rejected because I don't say how Draco and Ginny fall in love. That's completely understandable, but would it be alright if I put an AU warning and write "AU for pre-established relationship"? I know, I'm lazy, but is that okay? It's fine if you would prefer that I actually alter the fic.

GORGEOUS banner by Kat/Mistletoe! Thank you so much!
    Icon by me [disillusion_row on livejournal].

deanine
    Quote Originally Posted by lily_evans34
    I have a similar question to anangeliam05's. My fic got rejected because I don't say how Draco and Ginny fall in love. That's completely understandable, but would it be alright if I put an AU warning and write "AU for pre-established relationship"? I know, I'm lazy, but is that okay? It's fine if you would prefer that I actually alter the fic.
    That is a very bad idea. If a moderator tells you that your story is out of character or not sufficiently developed, the AU warning or category is not your answer. AU is not equivalent to a blank check to write out of character or not develope your plots. If anything AU's generally require more development to be believable than a canon compliant story.

Fifth Year Ravenclaw
    Looking for Nicholas Flamel

That's what I thought. Just thought I'd ask, though. Thanks for the help! *Goes to edit-- er... stare at fic for an hour and half, willing corrections to magically come to me*

GORGEOUS banner by Kat/Mistletoe! Thank you so much!
    Icon by me [disillusion_row on livejournal].