Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: James Potter's Parents

Wizengamot Ravenclaw
    You idiot! Always playing the Hero!
    Alright, it seems a pretty common consensis that Dorea and Charus are not Harry's grandparents and that he just has a random Uncle Potter running around the wizarding world somewhere. I wonder if they will ever meet. Hmm...plot bunny.

But anyway, now it is time to share theories of who Harry's grandparents are. C'mon, let's have them!

Brand New Story!

Banner by lullaby_BANG. Completely awesome avi came from here!

My brand new trailer for Snape Didn't Die by thegirllikeme to serve as a constant source of inspiration whilst I write!

The Canon Queen Hufflepuff
    Unspeakable
    Hermione Couldn’t Possibly Be In Two Places At Once
    While the date of death is within the time frame James' parents are said to have died, (while he was in school), Lexicon brings up an important fact, Jo herself said his parents were old when they had him. 57 is not old by wizarding standards.
    I need to correct the above statement I wrote. According to what I could find on James' parents, they died between 1978 and 1981.

All that has really been said about his parents are they died of there wasn't anything sinister about their deaths. Also that James' father was in Gryffindor.

Sorry I mistyped before with the time of death.
    Terri Black (as in Mrs Sirius {aka Padfoot} Black)
    Hufflepuff Head of House

Inverarity
    It's been implied that wizards tend to live longer than Muggles, but I don't think it's been implied anywhere that lifespans of 130 to 150 years are average, even for wizards.

Why wizards live longer than Muggles is debatable -- perhaps it's just that throughout history, they've been less susceptible to starvation, diseases and wars that would tend to shorten the average Muggle's lifespan. Or perhaps magic does extend one's life somewhat. But Dumbledore, who is over 100, is clearly no spring chicken, and he's also apparently older than the average wizard.

So I think having a witch giving birth in her 60s would be improbable. Extending the reproductive lifespan of wizards and witches would almost make them a separate species, and from what we've seen, they're humans, they just have somewhat longer average lifespans.

Wizengamot Ravenclaw
    Quote Originally Posted by Inverarity
    It's been implied that wizards tend to live longer than Muggles, but I don't think it's been implied anywhere that lifespans of 130 to 150 years are average, even for wizards.

Why wizards live longer than Muggles is debatable -- perhaps it's just that throughout history, they've been less susceptible to starvation, diseases and wars that would tend to shorten the average Muggle's lifespan. Or perhaps magic does extend one's life somewhat. But Dumbledore, who is over 100, is clearly no spring chicken, and he's also apparently older than the average wizard.

So I think having a witch giving birth in her 60s would be improbable. Extending the reproductive lifespan of wizards and witches would almost make them a separate species, and from what we've seen, they're humans, they just have somewhat longer average lifespans.
    So taking this into account, it definantly would be possible that Charlus and Dorea were Harry's grandparents. Dorea was forty years old when she had her (only) son, and died before James would have been killed, as did Charlus. It all just seems like an swful lot of coninsidences.

As far as Harry and Sirius being related, aren't all pureblood families somehow related to one another? I mean, if the Malfoys and the Weasley (a family that so utterly hates one another) are related, it wouldn't be that much of a strech for Harry and Sirius to be related somehow. Teddy and Victoire are actually fouth cousins, and Walburga Black (Sirius' mother) was Walburga Black even before she was married.

I actually think that most wizarding families wouldn't keep track after first cousins anyway. It would remove too many possibilities for marriages.

*Deliverance banjo music playing in the background...*

Brand New Story!

My brand new trailer for Snape Didn't Die by thegirllikeme to serve as a constant source of inspiration whilst I write!

Wizengamot Hufflepuff
    Kill the Spare
    Ha back again on this thread. I think we're all agreed that James' parents died before Lily and James. Although he wouldn't have lived with them- because it was Lily's (and Petunia's) blood that was needed to protect him, I can't believe that if they knew they had a grandson they wouldn't have been there somewhere hovering around. I'm beginning to think that they died before Harry was born as well.

As far as this goes I do know someone who entirely naturally concieved a child at the age of 52. This was genuinely without the aid of fertility treatment. Now admittedly this is incredibly rare but I do like the idea of them being older parents- but maybe not a 90 year old getting pregnant! As far as Jame's dad is concerned he could be pretty old and still father a child. He could conceivably (excuse the pun) be in his 80's even.

I tend to agree with this because having looked at the Black Family tree none of them had particularly long lives. On the other hand we have Albus and Aberforth Dumbledore, Aunt Muriel, Elphias Doge, Bathilda Bagshot and Griselda Marchbanks who are all over 100 and all fairly sprightly (apart from Bathilda because she's dead when we see her!)

With regard to Charlus and Dorea- I don't think they are James' parents. I agree they could be and there are a lot of co-incidences but I'm sure Sirius would have mentioned it to Harry and been proud of the fact that there were actually some nice people on his family tree that his 'old ma' hadn't blasted off!

I like to think they died together in their beds of something not too painful or disfiguring (ie not Spattergroit! )
    I'm a BARMAID. I write. I drabble. I duel. I poet. I'm a BADGER!!!

Banner by minnabird

Wizengamot Ravenclaw
    I think we can assume a couple of things about James Potter's parents, even if we don't know who they are.

James' mother was probably not in Gryffindor. In The Prince's Tale, in the scene, on the train, James said he was going to be in Gryffindor, just like his dad. If both his parents were in Gryffindor, then he would have said 'just like his mum and dad.

James was a pureblood, so more than likely, his mother came from on of the old wizarding families as well. A quick glance over the Black family tree can show a good number of the pureblood wizarding families in Britain.

Brand New Story!

weasleywannabe47

James's Parents!

I would say she was in her mid to late forties.Even for wizards,I wouls say 50+ is a little much.

HopeiHelped!

Fifth Year Hufflepuff
    People Hate Me for Losing Points
    *blows dust of thread and removes cobwebs*

Does anyone know what type of work Mr Potter did? I have him working in the Ministry, but do we know what job he actually did? We know that he was very rich, though. Any ideas, anyone?

--Nadia

{iBAbanner!} ~♥~ {iDrabble!} ~♥~ {iExcerpt!} ~♥~ {iPuff!}

Awesomical banner by TM_WandStick/Toni!
    Chapter 12 up!

Seventh Year Gryffindor
    Obliviate!
    Well, considering that his son was rich enough not to have to work, it's a possibility Mr Potter didn't work, either. Perhaps he did something for a hobby, like making magical toys, cultivating certain plants or writing about Quidditch or something. I don't think it's necessary he has a typical 9-5 day job. He's also fairly old, so maybe he's retired.

But, I think if you want him to have a job, he could have one. Everyone seems to work in the Ministry, but I suppose it does have a lot of departments/jobs. I think that if he'd done something important or relevent to the books, like an Auror or something, it would have been mentioned to Harry.

Sarah x

Wonderful avvie by psijupiter. Totally brilliant and amazing banner by Julia/the opaleye!

Fourth Year Gryffindor
    I See Dead People... In Mirrors
    I have a question.

Does anyone know their names? I've searched the Lexicon and looked all over the internet and I cant find them. Am I safe to just make up names for them?

~Abi~

This gorgeous banner is by TM_WandStick/Toni =)
    JOIN THE SBBC!
    ON HIATUS