Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: James Potter's Parents

Wizengamot Hufflepuff
    Kill the Spare

James Potter's Parents

I've been wondering about James' parents recently. I know JK Rowling has said they were old and James came along late in their life which was probably why they spoiled him but how old you think they are?

Old for child-bearing in the Muggle World would be mid-late 40's but do you think it would be okay if I made Mrs Potter much older than that. Wizards and Witches do generally live longer so if she was in her sixties when she had James would that be unheard of do you think?

Also do we have any other clues about them. I have a scenario in my mind that they're a bit like Arthur Weasley and his attitude to Muggles ie genuinely fond of Muggles and perhaps mix with them more often than you'd expect wizards to. Perhaps they follow a certain Muggle pursuit?

Any insights would be most welcome.

Carole
    I'm a BARMAID. I write. I drabble. I duel. I poet. I'm a BADGER!!!

Banner by minnabird

Honigkuchenpferd Hufflepuff
    "Greetings From Egypt..."
    There's a Dorea Black in Sirius' family tree who married a Charlus Potter. Dorea's birth year is given as 1920. Charlus and Dorea had a child, a son. But we can't be sure if this son is actually James. Technically it could be, and having James' birth year in 1960 would make Dorea 40 years of age when she gives birth to him.

But there are also reasons that speak against Dorea and Charlus being James' parents:

Both are still on the tree, not erased like Sirius or Andromeda. Furthermore, the Potters are kind of known to be blood traitors, like the Weasleys. Wouldn't that alone be seen as a volition against Black Family traditions and beliefs? Unless the reputation of being blood traitors only came with when James grew older and actively fought against Voldemort and the Death Eaters. But then again, when Sirius ran away and camped out at the Potters, I think that the Blacks would not only have erased Sirius of the family tree but the Potters, too, because they were the ones that gave him shelter.

As for James' mother's age when she gives birth to him: I would go with mid-late 40's or early 50's. 60 years and older appears too old for me to become a first-time mother, even if she is a witch.

And concerning their attitude towards Muggles: I'm definitely of the opinion that they can live next to them without having any issues with Muggles. But being obsessed with Muggles like Arthur Weasley I think is a bit unlikely. I just imagine them to be composed; friendly towards them yes, but not overly enthusiastic like Arthur Weasley.

I hope I could help, and that's only my two Knuts.

~Bine
    No longer a mod and no longer in charge of any forums.

author ~*~ BA banner ~*~ giggler
    Banners by Tiffany and Samarie ^

whatapotter
    Looking at the life-span of wizards vs Muggles, there's obviously a very large difference - so I don't see any reason why you can't simultaneously scale up the reproductive age. Doing this, I think 60's might be very reasonable to have a child. I wouldn't go any higher than 60's - I think that's your top end limit, but say 62-63 would probably be fine.

If you did use this sort of age it also gives you another reason why James might have been so spoilt - he was an unexpected child, when his parents had given up hope of conceiving, or that they had been trying for many, many years and only just succeeded.

If you don't want to use an extended reproductive span, you could also delve into magical methods of fertility. After all, if witches and wizards can cure all sort of illnesses with potions and spells, there's no reason not to suppose there arn't similar spells to aid conception for the older witch.

You could have a lot of fun with the reason, but as a basic answer, yes, I think it's acceptable to make James' mother that old.

Hope that helped!

~Rhi x

Wizengamot Ravenclaw
    You idiot! Always playing the Hero!
    Quote Originally Posted by luinrina
    There's a Dorea Black in Sirius' family tree who married a Charlus Potter. Dorea's birth year is given as 1920. Charlus and Dorea had a child, a son. But we can't be sure if this son is actually James. Technically it could be, and having James' birth year in 1960 would make Dorea 40 years of age when she gives birth to him.
    Yeah, there is a lot of pondering on this topic. But you have to admit, another member the Potter family that has only one son. It does seem like a pretty big coinsidence, don't you think? And also, I know this son might well have been dead by the time Harry was born (the Lexicon doesn't say), but Dumbledore did say the Dursleys were his only living reletives. And the Dursleys were horrible people! So if Harry did have some random, obscure Uncle Potter out there somewhere, don't you think that Dumbledore would have looked him up before dropping him off on the Dursley doorstep?

And as to the age issue, let's keep in mind that the usual wizard life span is around a hundred and fifty years, sometime more. A baby at the age of a hundred and thirty? Even for wizards, this seems a bit improbable.

Brand New Story!

Banner by lullaby_BANG. Completely awesome avi came from here!

My brand new trailer for Snape Didn't Die by thegirllikeme to serve as a constant source of inspiration whilst I write!

The Canon Queen Hufflepuff
    Unspeakable
    Hermione Couldn’t Possibly Be In Two Places At Once
    I do not believe this could have been James' parents.

First, this is what is posted on Lexicon for Dorea:

Dorea (Black) Potter (1920-1977)
    Daughter of Cygnus and Violetta (Bulstrode) Black (BFT).
    Three older siblings: two brothers Pollux (1912-1990) and Marius (disowned, dates unknown), one sister Cassiopeia (1915-1992) (BFT).
    Married to Charlus Potter; they had one unnamed son (BFT).
    It is doubtful that Dorea is Harry's grandmother because Jo has told us that "James's parents were elderly, were getting on a little when he was born, which explains the only child, very pampered, had-him-late-in-life-so-he's-an-extra-treasure, as often happens, I think. They were old in wizarding terms, and they died." (TLC) Dorea was only 57 when she died.
    While the date of death is within the time frame James' parents are said to have died, (while he was in school), Lexicon brings up an important fact, Jo herself said his parents were old when they had him. 57 is not old by wizarding standards.

I would like to think this could have been his mother though. That would explain how Sirius was able to leave everything to Harry. He was a Black. It would tie up that loose end nicely. But, it doesn't seem as if this is possible given the fact she died so young.
    Terri Black (as in Mrs Sirius {aka Padfoot} Black)
    Hufflepuff Head of House

Wizengamot Ravenclaw
    You idiot! Always playing the Hero!
    But again, I reiterate, the average wizard lifespan can be up to a hundred and fifty years olf. Having a baby when you're over a hundred? That seems like a stretch, even for wizards.

Besides, a deather by "natural causes" can mean anything. JK has said that both James and Lily's parents died this way, but for they all to be dead by the time their children are twenty, they couldn't have been that terribly old.

Lots of younger people die of them all the time. Just a month ago, a sixteen-year-old boy a few towns over, healthy, athletic, just keeled over during a morning run. The autopsy said he didn't have heat stroke or any internal injuries or bleeding. It turns out he had an undiagnosed heart condition, so his death was ruled "death by natural causes".

Just food for thought.

Brand New Story!

Banner by lullaby_BANG. Completely awesome avi came from here!

My brand new trailer for Snape Didn't Die by thegirllikeme to serve as a constant source of inspiration whilst I write!

MarieEvans760
    I don't think Dorea Black Potter was any immediate relation to Harry. I just think that Harry was always so desperate for family that knowing that he had relatives, however distant would have been devulged to him by someone. Exspecially if Sirius and him were actually related, that Sirius would have told Harry.

I think that Harry's actual grandparents could have surely been in their 60s when James was born. It would definatly explain why he was the only child and that he was doted on. But I believe you could definatly have some fun with how they managed so late in life, and another topic to cover would be how they died. If they both died when James was in school, was it because of old age, which wouldn't even be that old in wizarding years, or did something more mysterious happen? Did they both just happen to die in the school years time frame or did they die at the same time? I think you could definalty make some interesting theories up!

Marie

Third Year Hufflepuff
    Hut-on-the-Rock, The Sea
    Quote Originally Posted by OliveOil_Med

Dumbledore did say the Dursleys were his only living reletives. And the Dursleys were horrible people! So if Harry did have some random, obscure Uncle Potter out there somewhere, don't you think that Dumbledore would have looked him up before dropping him off on the Dursley doorstep?
    Actually I don't think that he would have. Harry was best protected with Lily's relatives, and I think that even if Harry had other living relatives Dumbledore would still have sent him to Petunia.

On saying that I'm inclined to believe that if Harry and Sirus were related Sirus would have told Harry, and I think that the Potters would have been blasted of the family tree for taking Sirus in when he ran away, assuming that the family knew where Sirus was.

Wizengamot Hufflepuff
    Kill the Spare
    Thank-you for your replies.

I don't think Charlus Potter is James' dad. It would have been good if he'd been related to the Blacks but Sirius would have mentioned it.

Harry could only live with Lily's relatives anyway because it was her sacrifice and her blood that he was protected by.

Anyway another question.

I think both sets of grandparents must have died before James and Lily did. How do you think they died? I have a feeling that the Potters may have died of natural causes but do we know what natural causes that could be? I really don't want to use Dragon Pox so are there any other diseases we know of?

Thanks

Carole
    I'm a BARMAID. I write. I drabble. I duel. I poet. I'm a BADGER!!!

Banner by minnabird

Kristen Floss
    I think both sets of grandparents must have died before James and Lily did. How do you think they died? I have a feeling that the Potters may have died of natural causes but do we know what natural causes that could be? I really don't want to use Dragon Pox so are there any other diseases we know of?
    Well, there's spattergriot

Maybe you could just have their bodies closing down naturally, like most old people's do. I can't really see them having a nasty disease. I like to think of them dying in their sleep. I think that would be closure for James, knowing they died without pain.

You could make up a wizarding form of cancer. Or you could do something like, after however many years, magic can dry up and without it, the body goes to pot.

Hope I helped

Kristen xD