Thread: Fudge

sophiewalpole

Fudge

In my fan fic I am referring to Fudge, for a couple of lines, I need to know if he was married, Im currently reading my books, and I can not find any references to Fudge's family life. So was he married?

The Canon Queen Hufflepuff
    Unspeakable
    Hermione Couldn’t Possibly Be In Two Places At Once
    Yes, he was married. Lexicon lists him as married, with a reference to GoF chp 28 as the source.

Good luck with your fic.
    Terri Black (as in Mrs Sirius {aka Padfoot} Black)
    Hufflepuff Head of House

Wizengamot Ravenclaw
    You idiot! Always playing the Hero!
    I have a little pondering about Fudge as well.

Does anyone have any gueses as to what house he was in during his Hogwarts days?

Brand New Story!

Banner by lullaby_BANG. Completely awesome avi came from here!

My brand new trailer for Snape Didn't Die by thegirllikeme to serve as a constant source of inspiration whilst I write!

The Canon Queen Hufflepuff
    Unspeakable
    Hermione Couldn’t Possibly Be In Two Places At Once
    Does anyone have any guesses as to what house he was in during his Hogwarts days?
    I am going to say Slytherin.

My reasoning:

First a quote from Dumbledore:
    "You are blinded by the love of the office you hold, Cornelius! You place too much importance, and you always have done, on the so-called purity of blood! You fail to recognize that it matters not what someone is born, but what they grow up to be!"
    -- Albus Dumbledore (GF36)
    Fudge enjoyed power and his position. He valued money and purity of blood more than the truth. When faced with Harry's account of Voldemort being back, he set out to discredit him and Dumbledore as to not jeopardize his job. He knew if he believed Harry, then he would be forced to act. I don't believe he felt capable of acting against Voldemort and rather than lose his position, he lied.

I just don't see him having the qualities that would place him in Gryffindor (i.e. bravery) or Hufflepuff (i.e. loyalty) nor in Ravenclaw (i.e. intelligence).

While he shows the traits for Slytherin: cunning and achieving ones goals at any cost, great ambition.

So, I firmly believe he would have been in Slytherin.
    Terri Black (as in Mrs Sirius {aka Padfoot} Black)
    Hufflepuff Head of House

saizine
    I'd like to add on to what Terri said about Fudge being in Slytherin. I agree with you whole heartedly, and I'd just like to expand on your points about why he couldn't have been in any of the other three houses.

Hufflepuff is a no-go to begin with just because of what happened to Sirius - he was sent to Azkaban without a trail. This may or may not have been at Fudge's orders (I'm under the impression that Barty Crouch Senior took control of most trials) but he defiantely didn't do anything to fix it once he was informed, even though he must have known that it was immensly unfair. Another point (well, really, two) would be in the very first chapter of HBP when he is informing the British Prime Minister about the return of Voldemort.

"'My fault!' said Fudge, coloring up. 'Are you saying you would have caved in to blackmail like that?'"
    Originally Posted by Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince, US Edition, Page 12

"'My dear Prime Minister, you can't honestly think I'm still Minister of Magic after all this? I was sacked three days ago! The whole Wizarding community has been screaming of my resignation for a fortnight. I've never known them so united in my whole term of office!' said Fudge, with a brave attempt at a smile.'
    Originally Posted by Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince, US Edition, Page 15

In my opinon, both of these quotes show that Fudge isn't willing to see himself as someone who caused the deaths of many and tries to defend himself to all end (which, in my view isn't a Hufflepuff trait - I've always thought of them as willing to be blamed for what they did but never standing for being accused of what they didn't do). This, to me, is more of a selfish, ambitious trait (or just self-preservation) that seems to fit best in Slytherin rather than in any of the other houses.

Ravenclaw is out for one reason only: if he was smart, or at least recognized himself with having an ounce of intelligence, then he would have been able to see that it wasn't right to let Sirius go without a trial, or it wasn't safe to let the larger part of the Wizarding World go on believing that there was no return of Voldemort... and the big one: not heeding Dumbledore's advice. If he didn't listen to the Wizard who was supposed to be one of the most intellegent in the entire Wizarding World, then who would he listen to?

Gryffindor isn't possible because of what Terri has already mentioned - he either didn't feel like he could stand up to Voldemort, or he wasn't brave enough as a person or a leader to stand at the forefront of the Second War.

Now that I've typed up a lot about his traits, I'm starting to wonder about his wife, since he was married. What do you think their marriage was like (before, during, and after the Second War)?

Wizengamot Ravenclaw
    You idiot! Always playing the Hero!
    Wow, this Ministry regimne certainly seems to have a lot of Slytherins in power (a lot of people believe Umbridge was a Slytherin, and Lucius Malfoy was able to bribe away any law he didn't want passed and vice versa).

Do you think Jo did this intentionally (in the new Ministry, it seems that mostly Gryffindors are the positions of power)? Maybe to further illistrate the shift in governing?

Brand New Story!

Banner by lullaby_BANG. Completely awesome avi came from here!

My brand new trailer for Snape Didn't Die by thegirllikeme to serve as a constant source of inspiration whilst I write!

Kristen Floss
    I think it was intentional, but maybe they weren't all in Slytherin, they just had Slytherin personalities. When the Gryffs take over, I think it was her way of showing a new age I mean, at the end of DH, doesn't Voldemort want to abolish sorting and make everyone a Slyth? So that would kind of be insulting him further

Just my two cents

Kristen x

sophiewalpole

result

Thankyou for your reply and telling me that Fudge was married, I really appreciate it.

Rhi for HP
    Actually, I personally believe Fudge was in Hufflepuff. Yes, he definitely got nasty, but I think he lacked a certain finesse and slippery-ness (lol) needed for the House of Salazar. Truly sly people like Umbridge pulled most of the strings. He's not brave, so no Gryffindor; not that intelligent, so no Ravenclaw; so I'm going to say Hufflepuff. In the books, 'Puffs are basically 'everyone else'. Also, Fudge likes things simple and merry, a Hufflepuff quality in my mind (see: the Fat Friar), though of course there are exceptions, such as Cedric.

As to the new epoch: I think it's merely a matter of personality traits that Slytherins are in power during the dark time. Slytherins are sly and 'use any means to achieve their ends'; in the books, all of them are evil (with the few exceptions of Regulus, Andromeda, etc.). When you've got evil in the Ministry, who must be behind it? Evil Slytherins, of course! In the 'new epoch' it's not just Gryffs in charge; Puffs and Claws would be welcomed as well. And I imagine Slyths who'd 'seen the errors of their ways' like Draco and Narcissa too.