Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Creature from Around the World

Kate Skeffington
    I'm glad the link helped

I was reading through this thread again the other day, read you mentioned creatures from Central America and, immediately, I thought about Aztec and Mayan gods! I mean, technically they're not beasts..but some have zoomorphic characteristics, like the serpent with feathers (Quetzalcoatl...I'm pretty sure I mispelled that one..). I'm quite sure all, or most of the gods had a zoomorphic representation, I read somewhere there was one god (I think it was the god of the underworld) which was represented by black coloured Puma with a supernatural roar or something.

So, maybe you can take ideas from the Aztec and Mayan civilization

Aztec mythology
    Maya Mythology

I haven't looked into the Incas (S. America), but here's a link if you want to take a look at those ones. If I remember correctly there were some interesting deities too.

Good luck! I can't wait to read your story, it sounds so interesting!

Wizengamot Ravenclaw
    You idiot! Always playing the Hero!
    Wow, Kate! Once again you have come through for me. I am getting a nice long list going, but I'd still like to see if I could get a couple more. Maybe some Artic-dwelling creatures would be good (though I may have to relay on my own imagination for this).

Brand New Story!

Banner by lullaby_BANG. Completely awesome avi came from here!

My brand new trailer for Snape Didn't Die by thegirllikeme to serve as a constant source of inspiration whilst I write!

Kate Skeffington
    Quote Originally Posted by OliveOil_Med
    Wow, Kate! Once again you have come through for me. I am getting a nice long list going, but I'd still like to see if I could get a couple more. Maybe some Artic-dwelling creatures would be good (though I may have to relay on my own imagination for this).
    I'm glad to help, OliveOil.

I remember reading somwhere an Artic-of-sorts leyend which featured a type of mermaid: they were seals and came out to the shore evey once in a while transformed as women and they danced, or something along those lines I'll look for it!

Edit: Here it is. They were Selkies they are part of Icelandic mythology, don't know if that's Artic enough for you. You could look into Inuit or Eskimo mythology for inspiration.

Edit2: Look what I found!Linky They are from Norway... a lot like Veelas, though, but maybe that could be nice: Veelas and Huldras being part of the same family of fantastical creatures.

Inverarity
    Quote Originally Posted by Kate Skeffington
    I remember reading somwhere an Artic-of-sorts leyend which featured a type of mermaid: they were seals and came out to the shore evey once in a while transformed as women and they danced, or something along those lines I'll look for it!
    You are talking about selkies.

Another good source for magical beasts would be cryptozoology.

But don't forget that Rowling just made some stuff up out of whole cloth.

Wizengamot Ravenclaw
    Alright, this request is steming to two different stories (one of which is not my own), but now I am looking for three very specific types of creatures.

From Japan: several, not including the Kappa

From the North, near Durmstrang: preferably something that could be labeled as "Dark"

From the Mediterranean: Something that appears pretty and harmless, but is really quite dangerous

Brand New Story!

My brand new trailer for Snape Didn't Die by thegirllikeme to serve as a constant source of inspiration whilst I write!

Inverarity
    From Japan: several, not including the Kappa[/b]
    Tengu, oni, kitsune, tanuki, giant centipedes, giant octupi.

From the North, near Durmstrang: preferably something that could be labeled as "Dark"
    Kobolds and gremlins are both Germanic in origin. Russian/Slavic folklore also has lots of sinister birdlike creatures and malevolent water spirits.

From the Mediterranean: Something that appears pretty and harmless, but is really quite dangerous
    [/quote]

Sirens! There is also the amphisbaena. Or consider also the lotuses of North Africa, encountered by Odysseus and his crew.

Wizengamot Ravenclaw
    I'm back again and I believe I have collect all the mythical creatures I will need. I may use my *gasp* imagination to come up with a few more, but for the mostpart, I am set.

Now I am thinking of creating a system of family classification for magical creatures just as real zoologists use.

Ex:
    The Siren Family
    Creatures included: Merpeople, veelas, Deer Women, ect.

What I would like help from all of you to do is to help me think of some creature families just like the one above and list a few creatures that you believe belong in there.

ThanX!

Brand New Story!