Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Halfbreeds

The Canon Queen Hufflepuff
    Unspeakable
    Hermione Couldn’t Possibly Be In Two Places At Once
    Originally posted by moonymaniac:
    Also, if I remember correctly, Snape includes giving the "ways" one becomes a werewolf in his assignment to Harry's class doesn't he? That would suggest that being bitten isn't the only one. *will check PoA*
    This was only said in the movie. It is not in the book. The lesson in question is in chapter nine, 'Grim Defeat'.
    "Which of you can tell me how we distinguish between the werewolf and the true wolf?" said Snape.
    This was the only question he asked them. He assigned them homework on ways to recognize and to kill werewolves.

While I do not believe Teddy would be a werewolf, I still think he would have had some 'effects' from his father, as would Victoire from Bill. I base this on the fact that after Bill was attacked, Remus told him he would have 'some contamination' from Greyback. This leads me to believe there is some sort of fundemental change in the blood when a werewolf attacks you.
    Now, before you start about DNA and blood being different, something that affects your blood at the basic level, would possible affect other cells in your body. If the contamination was enough to affect Bill's body's response to how he wanted his meat cooked, then why couldn't it affect other aspects of his cellular makeup? I know medically there is probably very sound reasoning behind what may be in your blood not affecting your DNA, but that is RL and this is fiction. Werewolves are not RL, so the RL rules governing DNA could possible be bent just a tad.

I would think Teddy would be more likely to have inherited stronger traits than Victoire, but it is possible she did inherit something.
    Terri Black (as in Mrs Sirius {aka Padfoot} Black)
    Hufflepuff Head of House

Fourth Year Gryffindor
    Snape Hates Me
    Thanks, mudbloodproud. I was wondering if I might be confusing movie for canon. I checked the book last night and discovered I must have. I just hate when that happens. >.<

I still believe the possibility for werewolves to pass on lycanthropy to their offspring was left open, based on the Bill info and Remus' concern.

Wizengamot Ravenclaw
    You idiot! Always playing the Hero!
    Alright, so I have had a lot of advice and imput on vampires (and a very hyper little bunny bouncing around in my head that just won't die!), the conclution that Teddy may or may not have inherited some wolf-like tendancies from his father, but the extent would be limited, and when it comes to children only being half-human, inall cases, it is just better not to ask too many questions.

But now more questions:
    How do think being half veela effect Fleur in her school years? I'm sure none of the boys minded, of course, but to what extent do you believe she was ostrocized by the girls?

Do you think Madam Maxime may have felt some sympathy and favoritism for her as she was only half human herself?

We know that Durmstrang doesn't allow Muggleborns. Do think they allow those only half human (that term is PC, right? "Half Human"?)?

Brand New Story!

Banner by lullaby_BANG. Completely awesome avi came from here!

My brand new trailer for Snape Didn't Die by thegirllikeme to serve as a constant source of inspiration whilst I write!

Inverarity
    How do think being half veela effect Fleur in her school years? I'm sure none of the boys minded, of course, but to what extent do you believe she was ostrocized by the girls?

Fleur is only one-quarter Veela. Her grandmother was a Veela.

She might have been ostracized by the girls, but frankly, while she's arrogant, and quite conscious of her good looks, she does not at any point appear to be insecure, jealous, or socially inept. And she was chosen as Beauxbaton's champion. So that doesn't suggest she was an outcast. It's likely that some girls were jealous of her, but I doubt that she was ostracized by the entire female student population.

Do you think Madam Maxime may have felt some sympathy and favoritism for her as she was only half human herself?

Sympathy, perhaps, but remember that Madam Maxime was in denial about her own parentage. She certainly wouldn't acknowledge that she and Fleur had something in common (and if anything, she may have been envious, though we see no evidence that she dislikes or mistreats Fleur).

We know that Durmstrang doesn't allow Muggleborns. Do think they allow those only half human (that term is PC, right? "Half Human"?)?

I think it's unlikely. Being half-inhuman would be worse than being half-Muggle. On the other hand, they might regard some "half-breeds" as more powerful, and thus desirable as students. But I tend to think they'd be more exclusionary.

bling_baby

What I think we need to think about when asking this question in general girl politics. Although we hate to admit it, sometimes we're nice to people we don't like for personal gain. This is especially true within very popular groups.

This makes me think that Fleur was not ostrocized. She was brought to be a Tri-Wizard champion so it shows that acedemically, socially etc she had the right stuff. As well as that, she got male attention and knew how to look beautiful, as it came naturally to her. This makes me think that a lot of girls would seek to become her friend.

However, this does not mean that she was actually liked by the others. Her arrogance would mean that a lot of girls would have thought like Hermione and Ginny, except they'd perhaps be more discrete about this.

I doubt it. For one thing, Maxime said that she was only big boned so she wasn't about to show any favouritism towards her. Also, there would be more half breeds than just her. However, there may be a lot of sympathy towards Fleur and other half humans as she knows full well herself that she's half giant.

If they won't accept Muggleborns than definately not. It's possible that it would be easier to hide, depending on what the other half was. There would be no doubt that warewolves would be in short supply though.

Wizengamot Ravenclaw
    You idiot! Always playing the Hero!
    In the wizarding world, about how common do you think half-human wizards are? We know that Hagrid is one, so is Fleur, Madame Maxime, and Professor Flitwick, but about how common are they?

For example:
    Every ________ year(s), there is(are) ________ half-human births.

Brand New Story!

Banner by lullaby_BANG. Completely awesome avi came from here!

My brand new trailer for Snape Didn't Die by thegirllikeme to serve as a constant source of inspiration whilst I write!

Inverarity
    Quote Originally Posted by OliveOil_Med
    In the wizarding world, about how common do you think half-human wizards are? We know that Hagrid is one, so is Fleur, Madame Maxime, and Professor Flitwick, but about how common are they?

For example:
    Every ________ year(s), there is(are) ________ half-human births.
    Hagrid and Madame Maxime are half-human, but Fleur is three-quarters human, and we don't know how far back Flitwick's goblin ancestor was.

I'd guess that interbreeding with non-humans is pretty rare. The wizarding world seems pretty prejudicial, and also, the non-humans appear to be fairly rare (and likely most of them aren't keen about breeding with humans either). But it may vary from country to country.

Gorgeous_Ginny
    I don't know whether this has already been posted I looked but couldn't find it

In my story my OC is bitten and transforms into a Vampire, but she is still very human, minus the blood sucking, daylight allergy(but gets potions for it), I've kept her so she still has human functions and is not living dead type of thing.

So would people think it possible for her and her partner to have children with slight vampire traits, maybe the good looks etc?

P.S. I'm not saying who the father is sorry.

Inverarity
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorgeous_Ginny
    In my story my OC is bitten and transforms into a Vampire, but she is still very human, minus the blood sucking, daylight allergy(but gets potions for it), I've kept her so she still has human functions and is not living dead type of thing.

So would people think it possible for her and her partner to have children with slight vampire traits, maybe the good looks etc?

Rowling's vampires appear to be of the "traditional" sort, but we don't really know how vampirism works in the Harry Potter universe. If they are undead, then I'd think that having children would be unlikely. If you want to make vampirism more like an infectious magical disease, then it's up to you how that affects the children.

MC Kair
    I don't know whether this has already been posted I looked but couldn't find it

I think that you could make up your own kind of vampire. You would have to explain how the vampire functions and stuff but if you make it believable I don't think that would be a problem. You have to make sure that in your explanation she doesn't in anyway die before turining into a vampire because that would be that her body would have stopped functioning.

Hope that helped.

-Maria