Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Halfbreeds

Wizengamot Ravenclaw
    You idiot! Always playing the Hero!

Halfbreeds

Alright, we all know that Hagrid is proof that Giants can inter-breed with humans, and so can Veela, because of Fleur. But what other species of beings or other creatures are capible of being part human?

Also, what about beings that were once part human, such as vampires and werewolves? Do any of you think Teddy or Victoire will have any wolfish characteristic because of their fathers?

Brand New Story!

Banner by lullaby_BANG. Completely awesome avi came from here!

My brand new trailer for Snape Didn't Die by thegirllikeme to serve as a constant source of inspiration whilst I write!

First Year Ravenclaw
    In the Cupboard Under the Stairs

The most bizarre one that came to my mind is half human, half dementor. Anyone who would like it for a story concept, be my guest. I do think as a child it might stop you from getting a letter from Hogwarts. Possibly more problematic than being a werewolf.

Half a Wizarding World away... an unwanted child finds magic.

The Canon Queen Hufflepuff
    Unspeakable
    Hermione Couldnít Possibly Be In Two Places At Once
    Originally posted by OliveOil_Med:
    We all know that Hagrid is proof that Giants can inter-breed with humans, and so can Veela, because of Fleur. But what other species of beings or other creatures are capible of being part human?

I never thought about it. I would think Hags could. Though I doubt it would ever happen and the thought doesn't sit right with me, another would be house-elves and goblins. Also Dwarves.
    Centaurs, nope can't see that happening.
    These along with your list are all the beings listed on Lexicon.

Also, what about beings that were once part human, such as vampires and werewolves? Do any of you think Teddy or Victoire will have any wolfish characteristic because of their fathers?

Interesting thought. I do have a plot bunny involving Teddy that deals with this. Not to give it away, but I would think with his mother's genes and his father's, he would have an easy time becoming an Animagi. Which of course would be a wolf. I also think he would be similar to Bill in the aspect of liking rare meat. Perhaps, his senses would be stronger like those of a wolf.

Victoire I think would have less of these characteristics as Bill wasn't a werewolf, just contaminated by a werewolf. Maybe to a lesser extent than Teddy, the stronger senses. She may also like her meat rare, though how much of that was from nature and how much from nurture, we wouldn't know. Fleur stated the English overcook their meat, so she must like hers on the rare side, too. Though I doubt it would be completely rare as Bill's. Victoire would have grown up with meat cooked this way.

New question:
    Would Teddy and Victoire's children having blood from both parents carrying werewolf blood be more inclined then Teddy and Victoire to have wolfish characteristics? Would it be possible combining both Teddy and Victoire's DNA would produce a new and unseen version of a werewolf?
    Terri Black (as in Mrs Sirius {aka Padfoot} Black)
    Hufflepuff Head of House

Wizengamot Ravenclaw
    Hm, maybe even if someone were to recommend some good stories where half-humans are shown and post the links to them, that would be helpful.

Would Teddy and Victoire's children having blood from both parents carrying werewolf blood be more inclined then Teddy and Victoire to have wolfish characteristics?
    Probably yes. If the wolf-ish traits behave like a recessive trait, and two of these traits appear in a child, those wolf characterists would become all the stronger. I think the only way to become a true werewolf would be to actually be bitten by a werewolf, but they would probably have some very strong wolfish qualities. Maybe super-human senses of hearing and smell, screams or cries as a infant that sound more like howls. Also, a very strong love for barely cooked meat.

Would it be possible combining both Teddy and Victoire's DNA would produce a new and unseen version of a werewolf?
    More than likely they would not be refered to as werewolves, because they were never actually bit, but it could make for some very strong abilities as a witch or wizard.
    Maybe super-human senses of hearing and smell, screams or cries as a infant that sound more like howls. Also, a very strong love for barely cooked meat.
    I also like your idea of them being able to become Animegus' very easily. Maybe what you could do is instead of the usual years of study it takes to become an Animegus, the Lupin children could learn it in only a few months (maybe weeks). Adding to the speciality, they could probably be able to do it at a very young age.

Oh! A whole family of wolf Animeguses, running together as a pack...

DIBS!!! My plot bunny! *werewolf growl*

Brand New Story!

My brand new trailer for Snape Didn't Die by thegirllikeme to serve as a constant source of inspiration whilst I write!

Wizengamot Hufflepuff
    Kill the Spare
    Alright, we all know that Hagrid is proof that Giants can inter-breed with humans, and so can Veela, because of Fleur. But what other species of beings or other creatures are capible of being part human?
    Not sure how relevant this is to your story but I believe Flitwick is supposed to be part goblin.
    I'm a BARMAID. I write. I drabble. I duel. I poet. I'm a BADGER!!!

Banner by minnabird

MistressOfTime

It really depends on the DNA aspect of it. (Oh here we go, Bio nerd.) Chromosomes are the things that allow us to have babies and whatnot. (Humans have 46, two pairs of 23.) That means that we have 23 chromosomes from mom, and 23 from dad.

However, a dog, for example, has 78 chromosomes. (Two pairs of 39.) This means that dog's have 39 from their mom, and 39 from their dad.

(FYI - Fruitflies have 5 chromosomes and mice have 20)

This being the case, it is impossible for humans and dogs to interbreed. The two parties HAVE to have the same number and type of chromosomes in order for a hybrid ("new breed") to occur. (This has been seen in several different species such as Tiger/Lion, Wolf/Dog, Zebra/Donkey, Leopard/Lion, and in rare cases, Whales/Dolphins.)

It's safe to say that the two pairs have to be from at least the same species. I can't honestly see a House Elf and a Wizard having a baby, but perhaps a Goblin and a House Elf. Try playing around with how different characters look, and what species they seem to be from, and work it from there.

Good luck!

--Joy.

Wizengamot Ravenclaw
    Thanks for all the help thus far. Here's a list of all the creatures people have come up with so far.

Giants
    Veela
    Vampires
    Werewolves
    Goblin

And I do agree that a half-elf might be a bit impossible. Plus, can you imagine what an ugly baby that would be?

I have a few other ideas for creatures: Banshees, Merpeople (the sirens of Greece, though), Leprechums (I've read a story on the site with a half-leprechum that worked out very nicely). Can I get some opinions on what people think of these?

Maybe something else I could ask of people, if I may, could people list some humaniod creatures (doesn't have to be possible, just for discussion)?

Brand New Story!

MarieEvans760
    I'd just like to add about the Teddy and Victoire question, I don't know if they would take on their fathers' traits, but they always say things skip a generation. I believe if they had a child together he or she would be a little furball!

The Canon Queen Hufflepuff
    Unspeakable
    Hermione Couldnít Possibly Be In Two Places At Once
    I have a problem with the vampire. I guess it comes from the whole being dead thing. Aren't vampires actually dead then brought back by blood? If so, how could they have a baby? Okay, I am not going to delete what I just wrote, but I did find an entry on Lexicon under named beings for a vampire who was listed as "part vampire". Though it doesn't explain how he was only part vampire.

Merpeople, I would have to say no. I just don't see how that would be possible. Though in looking up the Sirens of Greece, I had a thought...
    What about Muses? They are mythical. Who says they can't be real in some aspects? Perhaps the hero is seduced by one?

Leprechauns? Why not? We know it is possible with Goblins because of Flitwick (thanks Equinox Chick for reminding me of this ).
    While reading Creatures of English Folklore I was reminded of another one. Silkies. If you take their pelt, they become 'human' at least until they find their pelt again. Nora Roberts did a wonderful story which one of the heroines had a Silkie in her ancestry. IF you are interested in which book, PM me and I'll tell you.

I still believe it would be possible with hags. If you read through Lexicon's named beings page, there is a hag there who made herself look normal to get a king.

That is all I can think of right now.
    Terri Black (as in Mrs Sirius {aka Padfoot} Black)
    Hufflepuff Head of House

Wizengamot Ravenclaw
    This may be boardlineing the catagory a bit, but I've been doing some more research, and I've come across something very interesting.

Changelings

The concept of a Changeling is that sometimes fairies see a human baby that they like so much, they decide they want to keep it. So they will steal the human baby and live a Changeling in its place. A Changeling baby is a very tempermental child of the fairy folk that may look exactly like a human baby, but they are extreamly fussy and it may grow gradually uglier and uglier until it eventually withers away.

What place do you think Changelings have in the Potterverse? Would it be overreaching to assume that fairies may take a wizarding baby they really liked and leave a Changeling in its place? Maybe there's a special office in the Ministry to deal with Changeling related kidnappings (the cases would be prosumably cold because according to legend, parents wouldn't know they had a Changeling for sure until it was too late).

And finally, if a child were raised by the fairy folk for a number of years and then returned to their natural parents, how would that child be viewed by society?

Brand New Story!