Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 39

Thread: Dudley Dursley

  1. #21
    Inverarity
    Guest
    Okay, first of all, why do both mothers run away? This happens all the time in fan fiction -- it's amazing how many wizarding children are abandoned by one or both parents for no real reason, other than that the author only wants to write about one parent (or neither).

    So if you are really going to go that route, don't just make it an incidental detail to explain why Dudley is raising his granddaughter. The fact that Dandelion's mother did the exact same thing her mother did is going to be very significant. Also, where is Dandelion's father in this? Are you going to conveniently write him out of the story, too?

    Now, as to how Dudley would react -- unless you want Dudley to be the villain of the story (which it appears you do not), I don't think he'd try to "squash" Dandelion's magic the way his parents tried to squash Harry's. On the other hand, I think he would freak out, especially if his daughter never displayed any magic. He might have worried about that, that magic might run in his family, but when his daughter turned out to be a perfectly ordinary Muggle, he probably breathed a sigh of relief and figured he'd dodged that particular bullet. Then suddenly his granddaughter is making strange things happen. Dudley might try to ignore it or justify it at first. ("No, the pudding didn't really float across the room, I just moved it myself and forgot... hah hah, I must be getting old....") But, unless you really want to make him as thick-headed as his father, I don't think he'll be able to keep that up for long.

    So then he realizes she's a witch. He's going to have a fit. He's going to worry that she's a "freak" and will never fit in to normal society. He's going to worry about how his parents will react. What will they do when they find out that their great-granddaughter is one of them? He may well decide that it's better to hide it from them.

    Then he's going to remember how he bullied and tormented Harry all through their childhood, and all the chaos that magic caused in his life, and how there was this terrible Dark Lord who was going to kill them all. Is his granddaughter going to suck him back into that world?

    At some point, he'll know he needs to talk to Harry. What happens then is going to depend a lot on what you imagine Dudley's relationship with Harry to be like at that point.

  2. #22
    sorrow_of_severus
    Guest
    originally posted by Inverarity
    Okay, first of all, why do both mothers run away? This happens all the time in fan fiction -- it's amazing how many wizarding children are abandoned by one or both parents for no real reason, other than that the author only wants to write about one parent (or neither).
    Good point, Inverarity. There's really no point for both mothers to be absent. I'm kind of set on having the girl Dudley got pregnant have no interest in their child, but I could easily include his daughter in the story. He really just needs to be a good substitute dad for his granddaughter, not a good substitute mom and dad.

    Since both of you (luinrina and Inverarity) think that Dudley would have consulted with Harry, here's my next questions. What would Harry have said? Would Dudley have followed his advice?

  3. #23
    Inverarity
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by sorrow_of_severus
    Since both of you (luinrina and Inverarity) think that Dudley would have consulted with Harry, here's my next questions. [B]What would Harry have said? Would Dudley have followed his advice?
    That depends a lot on what sort of person Harry is, and what you think his relationship will be with Dudley. Have they reconciled? Do they visit, or talk regularly? Or has Harry not seen Dudley in years? Has Uncle Dudley gotten to know all of his wizard and witch nephews and nieces, or has he avoided them? That's going to have a major effect on how Harry reacts when Dudley comes to him and says, "My granddaughter is a witch, what do I do?"

    Of course, Harry will want to help Dandelion, regardless of how he feels about Dudley, but the degree to which he tries to involve Dudley (as opposed to telling him, "OKay, I'll handle this, you can go away") will depend a lot on whether he thinks Dudley will be a positive influence and can cope with magic now.

    I think the bottom line is that, one way or another, Harry will tell Dudley that Dandelion needs to go to school; her magic isn't going to just go away if he tries to ignore it. She doesn't necessarily have to go to Hogwarts -- Rowling has said not all British wizarding children do, though she never told us much about what the other options are. Maybe there are private tutors, and if so, Harry could probably find one for his niece*. But he'd definitely tell Dudley that Dandelion needs to get a wand and learn how to control her magic from experienced wizards. Both for her (and his safety), and because it's wrong to try to suppress that part of her (and if Dudley does start acting like Vernon, Harry will probably get quite angry).

    I think Dudley might be resistant to this at first -- especially sending his granddaughter away to some strange school in Scotland that he can't even visit. (Especially if he knows how many times Harry almost got killed there!) But eventually he will see the wisdom in the fact that his granddaughter has this power and he can't teach her what to do with it.

    If Dandelion's mother is involved, then don't forget that she's going to be freaking out a bit, too. (As well, she might wonder why she never got any magic.)

    * Technically, Harry and Dandelion are second cousins, once removed, just as Dudley is to Harry's children. It's likely they'd refer to their relationships as uncle-nieces/nephews, though.

  4. #24
    Wizengamot Hufflepuff
    Kill the Spare
    Equinox Chick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    using rare and complicated words
    Posts
    2,978
    Quote Originally Posted by Inverarity
    * Technically, Harry and Dandelion are second cousins, once removed, just as Dudley is to Harry's children. It's likely they'd refer to their relationships as uncle-nieces/nephews, though.
    Actually they're not.
    Dudley and Harry are first cousins.
    James Sirius and Dandelion are second cousins (children of first cousins)
    Harry and Dandelion are first cousins once removed.
    James Sirius children and Dandelion would be second cousins once removed

    (... and so it goes on)


    And, yes, that is rather anal of me to know all that, but there are certain things you read in your Bunty annual at the age of 10 that you never forget.

    but I could easily include his daughter in the story.
    If you want to not include his daughter, then she could always die instead of running off, but I think including his daughter could be interesting because you have the potential for her to be intrigued and not horrified about her daughters magic, plus she could be the one who seeks out Harry (or at least persuades her dad to seek him out.)

    I agree with Inverarity's advice about Harry. A lot will depend on the cousins' relationship, of course, but if Harry and Dudley get on then I think Harry will be supportive of Dudleys fears for his grandaughter and will understand that Dudley will miss her.

    It's always irked me slightly that JK Rowling never mentioned Hermione's parents except in the context of them being excited for her. The closest we get to any parent feeling sorry that their child is going away is Harry sending Albus off (it was like a little death to him).
    I'm sure poor Molly was in bits when all her children had gone. So Dudley's reaction to her going away could be a really interesting part of the story.

    Carole
    xxx
    I'm a BARMAID. I write. I drabble. I duel. I poet. I'm a BADGER!!!

    Banner by minnabird

  5. #25
    Inverarity
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Equinox Chick
    Actually they're not.
    Dudley and Harry are first cousins.
    James Sirius and Dandelion are second cousins (children of first cousins)
    Harry and Dandelion are first cousins once removed.
    James Sirius children and Dandelion would be second cousins once removed
    I should have checked with my mother, the genealogist, first.

    Actually, though, I think we're both wrong -- wouldn't Harry and Dandelion's mother (Dudley's daughter) be first cousins, once removed? Dandelion is Dudley's granddaughter, and therefore Harry's first cousin, twice removed.

    I still think he'd be "Uncle Harry" to Dandelion's mother, and "Great-Uncle Harry" to Dandelion, though.

  6. #26
    Wizengamot Hufflepuff
    Kill the Spare
    Equinox Chick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    using rare and complicated words
    Posts
    2,978
    Yes you're right.

    For some reason I thought Dandelion was Dudley's daughter. Not very clever.


    So it should be

    Harry and Dudley - first cousins
    James Sirius and Dudley's daughter - second cousins
    Harry to Dandelion - first cousin twice removed
    James Sirius to Dandelion - second cousin once removed

    They possible would just use 'Aunt' and 'Uncle' but actually don't you think more people just use first names these days?

    Carole
    I'm a BARMAID. I write. I drabble. I duel. I poet. I'm a BADGER!!!

    Banner by minnabird

  7. #27
    lilyevansfan
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Striped_Candycane
    I'm actually writing a fic that contains a lot of Dudley, and I was wondering about his personality after the dementor attack. How much do you think he would have changed? Is possible to imagine that he had a falling-out with his gang even before DH?
    I'm writing a fic where his daughter gets to go to Hogwarts, and I think he's been changed just a bit, but he's still Dudley! He probably still bullies little kids but not Harry anymore

    Quote Originally Posted by sorrow_of_severus
    My question is this: How exactly will Dudley react when he realizes that Dandelion, his granddaughter, is a witch? He grew up in a house where magic was hated, and had some bad experiences with it. Will he try to squash his granddaughter's magic, like his parents did Harry's? (Of course, any efforts to quash his granddaughter's magic would be less extreme than the measures taken by Petunia and Vernon, because unlike them, he cares about Dandelion.) Will he pretend like he doesn't notice his granddaughter's magical abilities, thinking that if he doesn't acknowledge it, it won't exist? Or will he share what knowledge of magic he has with his granddaughter, trying to help her understand the strange things that happen to her?
    I'm doing a fic like that, only its with Alice Dursley, Dudley's daughter. I'm doing it like Dudley gets jealous because he never went and now his daughter gets to go? It's just like him to get mad when he doesn't get something.

  8. #28
    Seventh Year Gryffindor
    First Brush With A Dementor

    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    903
    Quote Originally Posted by lilyevansfan
    I'm writing a fic where his daughter gets to go to Hogwarts, and I think he's been changed just a bit, but he's still Dudley! He probably still bullies little kids but not Harry anymore


    I'm doing a fic like that, only its with Alice Dursley, Dudley's daughter. I'm doing it like Dudley gets jealous because he never went and now his daughter gets to go? It's just like him to get mad when he doesn't get something.
    I think I disagree with you. We see that Dudley has changed in DH. Of course he won't suddenly become the most pleasant person in the world, but I don't see him turning into his father either. I don't think Dudley, by the time he has a daughter, would bully little children!

    I also don't think he would be jealous. He never really had any positive glimpse of the Wizarding World. Unlike Petunia, who had to grow up in her little sister's shadow, because their parents thought magic was wonderful, and Lily was probably very happy at Hogwarts and told her lots about it, Dudley never had that many important people say a lot of positive stuff about Hogwarts. Sure, he had brushes with Hagrid, Dumbledore, and Arthur Weasley, but most of the time he was around his parents, and they always thought magic was horrible and "for freaks." Harry never told Dudley a lot about Hogwarts, and I just don't think that Dudley ever was jealous. You don't really get the impression that he wants to go to Hogwarts. So why would he be when his daughter goes?

    I can much rather see him a bit out of his depth, because he has somewhat avoided this world as far as he could, and now he is forced to deal with everything...
    This completely gorgeous banner, which makes me happier than a squirrel, was made by Hokey

  9. #29
    lilyevansfan
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Karaley Dargen
    I think I disagree with you. We see that Dudley has changed in DH. Of course he won't suddenly become the most pleasant person in the world, but I don't see him turning into his father either. I don't think Dudley, by the time he has a daughter, would bully little children! .
    I didn't mean after he had a daughter, he would bully little children. I think he would after Harry left in DH. He would never turn into his father, that's for sure, because of the change he showed in DH, but he is STILL Dudley. He will never change completely.

    Quote Originally Posted by Karaley Dargen

    I also don't think he would be jealous. He never really had any positive glimpse of the Wizarding World. Unlike Petunia, who had to grow up in her little sister's shadow, because their parents thought magic was wonderful, and Lily was probably very happy at Hogwarts and told her lots about it, Dudley never had that many important people say a lot of positive stuff about Hogwarts. Sure, he had brushes with Hagrid, Dumbledore, and Arthur Weasley, but most of the time he was around his parents, and they always thought magic was horrible and "for freaks." Harry never told Dudley a lot about Hogwarts, and I just don't think that Dudley ever was jealous. You don't really get the impression that he wants to go to Hogwarts. So why would he be when his daughter goes?
    I know that he probably never wanted to go, but I never understood why he always bullied Harry. I don't think that Lily would have told Petunia lots about Hogwarts. Petunia called her a freak and she didn't like that, so she wouldn't exactly want to talk to her much, but she would definitely talk about Hogwarts to her parents. But it's not like Harry didn't say anything about the Wizarding World at all. As you said before, we never really knew how Dudley felt about the Wizarding World. I don't think I ever read about his opinion. It was mostly Vernon and Petunia's opinion on the Wizarding World.

  10. #30
    Seventh Year Gryffindor
    First Brush With A Dementor

    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    903
    Quote Originally Posted by lilyevansfan
    I didn't mean after he had a daughter, he would bully little children. I think he would after Harry left in DH. He would never turn into his father, that's for sure, because of the change he showed in DH, but he is STILL Dudley. He will never change completely.
    Ooooh sorry, I got the two parts of your post mixed up in that case, you're right of course. I think he would have bullied children for a while, because that's just what he's used to doing, but I can imagine that he wouldn't have been "all there". And his gang would have noticed that, and they probably wouldn't have liked it. I can imagine that during Harry's sixth year at Hogwarts, Dudley spent his holidays at school, or was rather lonely at home.



    I know that he probably never wanted to go, but I never understood why he always bullied Harry. I don't think that Lily would have told Petunia lots about Hogwarts. Petunia called her a freak and she didn't like that, so she wouldn't exactly want to talk to her much, but she would definitely talk about Hogwarts to her parents. But it's not like Harry didn't say anything about the Wizarding World at all. As you said before, we never really knew how Dudley felt about the Wizarding World. I don't think I ever read about his opinion. It was mostly Vernon and Petunia's opinion on the Wizarding World.
    I suppose he bullied Harry for the same reason that he bullied everyone else. Harry was an easy target, and Dudley's parents never objected... It was just something to do when he got bored. I don't think it has anything to do with Harry's magic. Yes, we only ever get to see Vernon's and Petunia's views on the matter, but that's how Dudley was brought up - anything that's different is wrong.
    This completely gorgeous banner, which makes me happier than a squirrel, was made by Hokey

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •