Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Dudley Dursley

Wizengamot Ravenclaw
    You idiot! Always playing the Hero!

Dudley Dursley

I have some thoughts and questions relating to Dudley after the events of DH.

What do you all see a possible future career for Dudley? He never struck me as the type who would be smart enough to attend university?

As far as where he lives, do you think he stayed close to home, or moved further away?

What kind of woman do you think Dudley would marry? What would Vernon and Petunia think of her?

How do think Dudley's attitude towards magic as an adult would differ towards the one he held as a child?

What do think Dudley and Harry's relationship was like as adults? I know they stayed in touch, but did they do so out of some sort of obligation or because they actually wanted to?

How do you think their wives got along? Their children?

Brand New Story!

Banner by lullaby_BANG. Completely awesome avi came from here!

My brand new trailer for Snape Didn't Die by thegirllikeme to serve as a constant source of inspiration whilst I write!

First Year Hufflepuff
    In the Cupboard Under the Stairs
    What do you all see a possible future career for Dudley? He never struck me as the type who would be smart enough to attend university?
    I think he would have ended up working in the same factory as Vernon. He could not have gotten very far. I mean for the majority of his high school career he basically bullied everyone, so he definately did not go to unversity.

As far as where he lives, do you think he stayed close to home, or moved further away?
    I would think he stayed close to Privet Drive only to be near Petunia.

What kind of woman do you think Dudley would marry? What would Vernon and Petunia think of her?
    That one stumps me, I am not sure. It is possible that he married a wealthy girl and in that case they would have approved. Although Petunia would approve of anyone, because he was her Dudders.

How do think Dudley's attitude towards magic as an adult would differ towards the one he held as a child?
    I am sure he is more appreciative of it now since he doesn't have the influence of Vernon. Towards the end of the series he did begin to appreciate after Harry saved his life... er I mean soul...

What do think Dudley and Harry's relationship was like as adults? I know they stayed in touch, but did they do so out of some sort of obligation or because they actually wanted to?
    I think it would be more probable to say that it was because they wanted to. Although Dudley could feel he has an obligation and he owes Harry for saving him from the Dementors.

I would think that Ginny would not get along well with Dudley, but out of respect for Harry, she would have gotten along well with Dudley's wife. I believe that the children would have gotten along with no problem as most childhood fights aren't shared with their children so it would have been a settled dispute there.... (that doesn't make sense, but I can't figure out how else to put it)

Hope this helps!!!

Good Luck

~*~ Ali
    HUFFLEPUFF AND PROUD

BACK AFTER SO LONG - Feels so good

HOPING I CAN FINALLY FINISH A STORY!!!!!

PadfootnPeeves

Like HGHR_fan said, I think he'd work at Grunnings' with Vernon. His dad would probably get the job for him. The only thing Dudley seemed good at in school was boxing, and I doubt he'd have that as a career.

I don't think Dudley's dumb; I just think he doesn't have the will or desire to exceed at school. Plenty of kids are like that; Dudders just had *better* things to do in his time.

Close to home. He seems like the type of person to rely on his parents even in his adult years.

Okay, I've had this crazy idea that he married Cho Chang. The leaky cauldron says she marries a Muggle, and i think it'd be totally ironic if that Muggle were Dudley. I'm not sure if Petunia or Vernon would like her... they'd like her because she Dudley's wife, of course, but maybe not as much if they knew she was a witch.

I think he'd still be frightened of it, but he wouldn't belittle a magical person if he met one. Some fics say that he has a magical child, and I think if he did, he'd seek out reassurance and guidance from Harry.

They'd be polite, but a little awkward because they're so different. They probably wanted to see each other- Harry would want to give Dudley the chance to be nice, something he wans't when they were children.

If Dudley married Cho (I'm crazy, yeah), I doubt Ginny would like having tea with her very much, but if it was just some random Muggle, she might have a bit more respect. And as for the kids... well, Albus would be nice for his dad's sake, Lily would be friendly and fascinated by having a Muggle acquantice, and James would moan and complain about having to visit the Dursleys' while he could be trying out his new racing broom

Wizengamot Hufflepuff
    Kill the Spare
    I think he'd go into the factory with Vernon. However I don't think you should underestimate his abilities. He's not intelligent but he he will suck up- remember Mr and Mrs Mason. I think he'd be adept at climbing the career ladder.

As far as where he lives, do you think he stayed close to home, or moved further away? I doubt Petunia would let him move too far away. However Dudley's wife might want to move!

It depends what Dudley is like now. If he genuinely changed after the Dementor attack then I think she'd be rather nice. Or he may settle down with someone just like his Mum. I don't think petunia would think anyone good enough for her son but Vernon wouldn't care as long as she bred and had tea on the table for her husband. He'd hate a career woman for his son.

I think he'll always be wary of it but maybe be slightly envious now.

What do think Dudley and Harry's relationship was like as adults? I know they stayed in touch, but did they do so out of some sort of obligation or because they actually wanted to? I think they wanted to stay in touch because even though it's Dudley he is the only blood relative Harry's got (apart from petunia)

JK actually said in an interview that the two families met once or twice a year and that James and Albus would have dreaded these visits. I can relate to that. It's like when the really boring relatives came over and you had to stay in dressed in your Sunday best when you'd rather be playing outside with your mates. I think Ginny would have got along fine with Dudleys wife if she'd been a normal Muggle but if she'd been like Petunia then she'd be itching to use the Bat-bogey hex on her!

On top of this I think JK has said that when Dudley was attacked by the Dementors he saw himself as he really is. If we accept her interview words as canon (I'm not sure if we do) then I think Dudley would have changed considerably from the nasty bully who made Harry's life hell. He seemed to have changed in DH didn't he?

Hope this helps.
    I'm a BARMAID. I write. I drabble. I duel. I poet. I'm a BADGER!!!

Banner by minnabird

Striped_Candycane
    On top of this I think JK has said that when Dudley was attacked by the Dementors he saw himself as he really is. If we accept her interview words as canon (I'm not sure if we do) then I think Dudley would have changed considerably from the nasty bully who made Harry's life hell. He seemed to have changed in DH didn't he?
    I'm actually writing a fic that contains a lot of Dudley, and I was wondering about his personality after the dementor attack. How much do you think he would have changed? Is possible to imagine that he had a falling-out with his gang even before DH?

I always thought that Dudley's bullying wasn't really due to the fact that he was a naturally violent and explosive kid, but more because he was so horribly spoiled. He had power over his parents at home, and he obviously also wanted to transfer it over when he was away from home (in other words, at school). Since no-one apart from his parents thought he was a darling little angel, the only way to get this power was by force. Any thoughts on this?

~ Veronica

Wizengamot Hufflepuff
    Kill the Spare
    I think it's entirely possible he stopped being quite so violent with his gang. In that Chapter in DH ehen he's leaving he shows real concern for Harry. He may not say 'I love you' or 'I'm sorry' but he wants to know what's going to happen.

He was so indulged by his parents and his aunt that he had this idea that he was wonderful. I imagine that on his first day at school when someone told him he wasn't wonderful (as kids do- I'm not suggesting he was bullied) he reacted violently and saw the power it gave him. Also he saw his parents bully Harry mercilessly, so he'd probably think it was totally normal.

I think the Dementor attack gave him a real insight into himself and therefore he became a much nicer person however I wouldn't turn him into this lovely person all of a sudden. If things don't go his way I reckon he'd still be sneaky and blame other people.
    I'm a BARMAID. I write. I drabble. I duel. I poet. I'm a BADGER!!!

Banner by minnabird

Third Year Hufflepuff
    Hut-on-the-Rock, The Sea

I think he would get a boring office job, similar to Vernon's. Although, we don't get to see much of Dudley post-dementor attack. Maybe he'd do something more noble?

Again, it depends on his post-dementor personality. He could resent his parents and move far away or he could care about them more and stay close by.

And again, it depends. No matter what, though, I think Vernon and Petunia would try very hard to like her. They care very much about Dudley's happiness.

He'd be less scared, simple as that. He never hated it like his parents, he was just scared.

Like someone mentioned, JKR told us all about it.

Depends on Dudley's wife. Ginny can be nasty if she feels the need. I think she would keep it to herself for Harry's sake, though. Their children, like JKR said, would be polite but awkward.

Please read & review my new story! Banner by Nadia/majestic_ginny

wildchild
    What house do you think Dudley would have been in if he had gone to Hogwarts?

Mudblood_and_Proud_of_it
    Well, when he was eleven, he looked out for himself, and he was ambitious. Maybe Slytherin?
    Not Ravenclaw, definitely...

wildchild

Smile

What about Hufflepuff? He turned out to be kind of nice in the end.