Page 10 of 17 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Ask a Moderator - Part 16

MissyQuill
    Hey mods

Why am I not 'authorised' to edit/delete my own stories? I wasn't aware we had to be to do so.=Sammy

Marauder by Midnight
    MissyQuill, apollo13, and red haired mom - The queue has been closed, as mentioned in our most recent news post. You will not be able to access the Manage Stories option until October 8.

Princess-of-A_S_H_E_S - Please read the forum FAQ linked in my signature. The answer to your question is there.

red haired mom
    The post you mentioned says nothing about not allowing us access to stories already validated. I read it again to make sure.

We've never been denied access to our stories during the annual holiday hiatus (Christmas), the DH hiatus and the ramp up to the upgrade, the Manage Stories feature has never been taken away. Why should it be taken away now?

I can understand taking away the submit story option, even though deleting the stories has been the normal mode of dealing with that, that I'm aware of, but I'm not happy with no access to my stories.

~Wendy

Marauder by Midnight
    red haired mom - Please be assured that I didn't take the Manage Stories option away to be malicious. The reason why the Manage Stories option has disappeared because stories and chapters can still be submitted with the Edit button when only categories are locked. Perhaps the programmers of our system had modified the system with which the queue is closed. In any case, the Manage Stories option allows you to edit or delete chapters. Even with the edit option open, you won't be able to actually edit your stories since updates have been stopped.

red haired mom
    I'm still confused about a few things, so please bear with me.

If the Manage Stories option was taken when the queue shut down, Wednesday, why did it show up on my options until yesterday?

And, why do the mods still have that option and the users don't? It would seem to me that the system modification you mentioned would have taken it from those also.

One last question: How, if the updates are stopped, will the stories already in the queue at the time of closing still be moderated?

~Wendy

Snape's Talon
    How very curious. Unless the queue has stopped capturing time-stamps, I don’t see the necessity in removing the Manage Stories function. With the time-stamp, it would be easy to determine what stories have been submitted during the hiatus and delete them. In fact, it should be on the Action Log and readily accessible once the proper filter is used – probably good practice for newbie Mods in any case.

However, the result of removing the Manage Stories function is that you have withdrawn from the authors the inherent right they have over their own works. In effect, you are saying that once submitted, an writer is not always authorized to edit or delete their stories on the archive. One could further misconstrue the matter so far as to say you’re effectively holding their story hostage.

Not that anyone would believe MNFF would ever sink to those depths, though. That's a legal quagmire no one in their right mind would willingly enter.

Now, if an author was interested in deleting a story during this 'closure' period, how would you recommend they go about it? Obviously, the Mods still have access to certain functions, otherwise new stories wouldn’t still be appearing. Should authors contact you specifically, Beth, via PM or the Mod in charge of the particular category their story resides in?

Marauder by Midnight
    red haired mom - The Manage Stories option was taken away yesterday because I was late in closing the queue. Administrators still have the option. Chapters that are still in queue are apparently exempt from the closing of updates. However, updating one's story or chapter that is not in queue is not possible.

Snape's Talon - Yes, stories that are submitted have a time-stamp. But when one updates a story/chapter while it is still in queue, it renews the time-stamp. What would then keep a mod from deleting that story/chapter that has actually been in queue for over 7 days? If you are interested in deleting your story, you're free to contact a moderator privately.

MissyQuill
    Beth, you'll excuse me for being a know it all but I do know a little bit as I mod for another website and the time stamping works the same in our queue.

Hasn't it always been like this - if the story in queue is edited, it gets pushed to the back of the queue and is treated as a newly submitted story? The moderators never made allowances for editing before.

Sixth Year Slytherin
    Snape's Not Evil?

Guys, we are having a bit of down time here. I appreciate that not being able to edit published stories for whatever coding reason has occured might be frustrating, but we are only talking about the 8th October. Time stamp or not, we need to just take time to re-adjust to some internal changes in order to keep the site running as it always has.

Please be patient. If you have something you desperately need editing or removing or deleting or whatever, then I am sure a mod will be happy to help. However... as we are trying to clear the queue ready for re-opening we would ask that you only request editing/deletion in event of something really critical. A misplaced full stop or slight inconsistency is probably not crucial.

If anyone wants to delete their stories for whatever reason, then please let us know and we will do the deed.

However, the result of removing the Manage Stories function is that you have withdrawn from the authors the inherent right they have over their own works. In effect, you are saying that once submitted, an writer is not always authorized to edit or delete their stories on the archive. One could further misconstrue the matter so far as to say you’re effectively holding their story hostage.
    One could also say that this is being a little dramatic. No one is holding anything hostage, unless one was looking at the current situation with a mind to be unreasonable. Authors still have control over their work, albeit not in such an immediate way for a short period of time.
    Blessed is he who expects nothing, for he shall never be disappointed.

Alexander Pope

Snape's Talon
    One could also say that this is being a little dramatic. No one is holding anything hostage, unless one was looking at the current situation with a mind to be unreasonable. Authors still have control over their work, albeit not in such an immediate way for a short period of time.
    One could say not providing advance warning that our rights were going to be curtailed temporarily or clearly stating what options an author has to a recourse was a bit shortsighted. Certainly, questions regarding the matter were bound to asked. It's only natural that as authors, we want to ensure we still have rights over our stories.

Beth, the Action Log records when an author edits a story and notes that differently than adding a story/chapter, does it not? A simple SQL query should solve that issue then, but perhaps you're too busy with queue cleanup.

Once the hiatus/closure/whatever is over on October 8th, will users have the option to post banners on their bios (outside of the one image currently allowed) or is that still being worked on?