Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7151617

Thread: Ask a Moderator - Part 16

Kcharles
    I also have the problem of not being able to get on the forums sometimes, but MNI and MC work fine for me. And the Muggle Net mainsite sometimes works, sometimes doesn't.

Just thought I'd add that.

Pinkcess of the Abyss
    I have a fanfiction Rating question.

I'm writing a Maraderer Era story. It is set in the 70s, naturally, therefore I am trying to make it as realistic as possible. My first chapter is set in the muggle world, mostly. As my OC is a halfblood and her friends at home are muggles.

Now, to put it bluntly, at the start of my story my character is on drugs. I'm not planning on mentioning this, but from the way I've written it you should be able to tell she is at least not sobar, or normal at any rate. She is basically spaced out in a loved up trance. She loves everyone and everything.

Anyway, there will be mentioning of sex in this chapter, but it will not be at all detailed as she won't remember most of it. -Basically she'll start out kissing and then wake up the next morning- She is 16, which in England is the legal age, so I'm not sure on your rules as to that as I know in America it is 18. She is not going to be happy about this occuring later on... so there are negative sides to the drug that are highlighted, although I haven't mentioned the drugs being used.

So that is the first chapter. The rest of the story is set at Hogwarts, so there will be no more drugs, but there will be drinking.

What I want to know is what rating would I give this? I know I would need to put on the apropriate warnings, obviously, but what age?

I'm sorry if this is not the place to put this, but I wasn't sure where else and I didn't want to put the story in for valadation and have it rejected for the rating.

Thanks. xx

Fourth Year Gryffindor
    Snape Hates Me
    Hello,

I have a question about the advertisements on the MNFF main site. How are they selected? Can anyone buy space and do you have to allow them use, or do you retain the right to reject ad money?

I ask because I've just come across a political ad that I highly disagree with. It is deceptive in the extreme. It is from the so-called Free Choice Act petition and this legislation is a radical departure from freedom for workers in that it would remove their right to secret ballot elections. Of course, the ad doesn't give the truth about what the Act would do.

I've also visited the main site and seen their wizard rock the vote thing or whatever it is called. That is also looking one sided as anyone who goes to their forum will see, so it is beginning to seem a bit like Mugglenet and MNFF are now going into the business of political propoganda. Maybe I'm being overly sensitive, but in light of the nastiness of the current political climate, I come to MNFF to escape those things, not to have them shoved in my face when I log in.

ETA: One might also question the appropriateness of or motivation behind putting political ads on a site where the majority of the audience is made up of people who are not of age to vote in the first place. Of course, the motivation would be pretty easy to figure out.

Inverarity
    A question about categories:

I am totally not trying to point fingers at any other authors or get anyone in trouble. However, some time ago, I tried to move my story "Hogwarts Houses Divided" from Post-Hogwarts to General. (Because chapters in the General queue get validated much faster than those in the Post-Hogwarts queue. ) The chapter I'd most recently submitted was promptly deleted, and I received a note telling me that my story belonged in Post-Hogwarts, period.

Okay, fair enough. Except I've noticed several stories in the General category lately that are very clearly next-gen Post-Hogwarts stories.

I'm really not asking for anyone else to get their stories involuntarily moved to another category. But I'd like to know if the policy on deciding which category your story belongs in has become less strict (so I can try moving to General again).

(Actually, I'd also like to know why some queues get validated so much faster than others. As it stands, there's a strong incentive to put one's story in General, since apparently all the mods will sweep that queue, whereas the others depend on one or two individuals finding the time. But maybe I should put that in the "Suggestions" thread.)

Colores
    Inervarity - General is an open category for all mods. Post-Hogwarts has a specific moderator, so it can take a bit longer. The policy for categories has not changed. Don't move your story around to get it validated faster. If you have concerns, PM the mod in charge (Beth/Marauder by Midnight for Post-Hogwarts).

Pinkcess of the Abyss - 6th-7th years.

The Canon Queen Hufflepuff
    Unspeakable
    Hermione Couldn’t Possibly Be In Two Places At Once
    I have a quick question. Before the queue closuer, when I would submit a chapter, the date I submitted it would show on my list of story chapters. Since the reopening, the date only shows for the first chapter of each story, not the additional chapters.

I was just wondering if it is going to go back to showing the date of submission for the chapters or stay this way. I relied on that information to judge how long my story has been in the queue, and with the two chapters I have in the queue, I didn't think to write down the submission date as the information has always been there.

Thanks for taking the time to answer and thanks for all your hard work.
    Terri Black (as in Mrs Sirius {aka Padfoot} Black)
    Hufflepuff Head of House

7. 10-18-2008, 02:06 PM

Fourth Year Gryffindor
    Snape Hates Me
    Okay, trying again....

Who is in charge of selling ad space on MNFF? (They've been busy, as I have had the displeasure of being bombarded with a new political ad today, while going to respond to a review, which really should be fun. ) Is it one of the Mods, or does it come from the main site? Is there a Mod in charge or head admin and if so, who might it be? I used to know, but things have changed since then, in more ways than one.

Marauder by Midnight
    Kcharles - The site sometimes goes down if there are too many people on the site at once. Sometimes our server hosts do a bit of purging of their servers that may or may not affect our site. We're not given notice in advance, so we can't accurately give you a heads-up about what's going on. Sorry about that!

mudbloodproud - The reason why the date of submission no longer shows up is that the coding has to be redone. I'll try to have that up for you again soon.

moonymaniac - We unfortunately have no control over which ads are shown on our site. We're using the same ads company as Mugglenet main site. This company, in turn, shows ads that should be relevant to what is featured on our site. However, that is not always the case.