Page 13 of 16 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Severus Snape - Part II

quill and ink
    I have a question involving his time at Hogwarts during DH. Do you think that he would show any mercy to Ginny, Neville, etc, when they were rebelling? Do you think that there is any part of him that might want to try and keep them safe? or would he be even more mean and punishing to them?

First Year Gryffindor
    Setting Snakes on Hapless Relatives
    ^I think he definitely would've felt some kind of compassion for them. He didn't like them, but he wasn't a monster; I don't think he'd enjoy the kind of suffering the Carrows were inflicting on anyone, especially since he felt the DA were on the right side. But just because he felt sympathy doesn't mean he acted on it. He was a master of playing both sides; I don't think he would've done anything to jeopardize his situation as Voldy's pet at Hogwarts. I can't imagine him showing mercy unless he was absolutely sure no one would find out - and even then, I think it would be more like pretending not to hear someone sneaking into the kitchens or something. He wouldn't even want the DA to know he was on their side, because if it leaked out and the Carrows overheard, they'd turn on him. Any kind of kindness he showed would have to be very subtle, like trying to convince the Carrows to go easier on the kids without letting them think it was because he cared about them himself. He might even be a little cruel to the kids to prove a point. But there are definitely lines he wouldn't cross - he did promise Dumbledore he'd try to protect Hogwarts & its students, after all.

Virgil
    I don't think that Snape had any real power during his time at Hogwarts. The Carrows were just following You-Know-Who's orders, and to even suggest (yay for split infinitives!) that they should tone down the discipline would be considered an act of treason against Voldie. I've always considered the situation to be quite tragic, as it often is when dear old Sev is involved. He must watch Hogwarts be destroyed from the inside-out, and he can't openly do anything about it. It's possible that he could passive-aggressively allow the DA to continue in its practice by simply not telling the Carrows about the Room of Requirement, that is, if he knew about it. Yes, he promised Dumbledore that he would protect the students - that just adds to the tragic-ness, does it not?

Peace,
    Virgil

Wizengamot Hufflepuff
    Kill the Spare
    Do you think that he would show any mercy to Ginny, Neville, etc, when they were rebelling?
    For punishment when they were stealing the Sword of Gryffindor (albeit the fake), Snape sent Neville, Ginny and Luna into detention with Hagrid and the Forbidden Forest. Although Ron disagreed, it was a 'soft' punishment. I think he supported them in the best way he could. Obviously he had to be hard, but he didn't send them to be 'crucio'd' at that point.

He walks a very difficult line, but I always wonder how Neville knew the Carrows were after him. Perhaps Snape let slip to McGonagall ...

~Carole~
    I'm a BARMAID. I write. I drabble. I duel. I poet. I'm a BADGER!!!

Banner by minnabird

zazzy7

Snape

Snape was a master double agent, so his actions would be very calculated. He wanted to protect Ginny, Neville and Luna. He did this by treating them the same as the other students, because if he went easy on their punishment, on-lookers would get suspicious and reveal his secret, in turn jeopardizing Ginny, Neville and Luna.

AReader
    Do you think Snape would have thought of joining the Order before he found out about the propecy and only really joined it after he knew?

Fifth Year Gryffindor
    I See Dead People... In Mirrors
    Quote Originally Posted by AReader
    Do you think Snape would have thought of joining the Order before he found out about the propecy and only really joined it after he knew?
    No. He may have had his moments of regrets, but in the end he chose to follow Voldemort not because of familial reasons, but because he wanted to. Snape loved Lily, but probably could have lived as a Death Eater if he didn't figure out she was in danger. He could live with her being happy, but he couldn't live with the thought of her being in danger. I think joining the Order afterwards changed his views a lot--but before then, he firmly believed in what Voldemort stood for.

xx Ariana xx

Thank you to Hokey for the beautiful banner. And thank you to everyone who nominated and judged --I'm so grateful to you <3.

Vorona
    According to canon, no. He returned to the Order only when he learned that Lily was in danger, because everything he did, he did for her. It's part of the love theme she was hitting in her books. Everything, even the Malfoy family, came down to love, either romantic or maternal.

That said, **begin non-canon personal belief** I think Jo shortchanged his character a little there, and I personally think it's more in character that he would have been seriously considering leaving the Death Eaters as soon as he learned how Voldemort *actually* treated them (perhaps as soon as getting the Dark Mark and learning that it was, essentially, a leash), and as a Slytherin, he probably would have known that he could manipulate Dumbledore through guilt to give him protection in exchange for service. Dumbledore would have been a much less odious master in the long run, and I'm sure Snape would have figured that out pretty quickly. He might not have trusted Dumbledore to treat him fairly, but he would have known that he could go there for sanctuary.

But, to go strictly with canon, no: he only left the Death Eaters and joined the Order because of Lily, so until she was in danger, he would have stayed.

Edit after seeing lucca4's response: I agree that he probably agreed with Voldemort, and was probably deeply fascinated with the Dark Arts. I don't think he would have left the Death Eaters because they were wrong; he would have left them because of his pride and unwillingness to be the slave of anyone.

Seventh Year Ravenclaw
    Attending a Deathday Party
    Here's one thing I find interesting about Snape: he was a half-blood himself, and yet he subscribed to Death Eater philosophy. Why? And why did they even accept him? I suppose it has to do with his Muggle father and how poorly he treated the family. Maybe his mother was into all that, although you'd wonder why she married a Muggle if she was. And I wonder how different Snape would have turned out if he had been Sorted into Gryffindor with Lily. He was obviously a brave man to do what he did. I wonder if he would have still turned to the Dark Arts?

~Gina

Fourth Year Gryffindor
    Swallowing the Golden Snitch
    Hi, Gina!

he was a half-blood himself, and yet he subscribed to Death Eater philosophy. Why? And why did they even accept him?
    Yes, he was half-blood, but that doesn't stop a person from being a willing Death Eater. He was deeply interested in the Dark Arts, and I partly blame the Slytherins during that time because almost all of them wanted to support Voldemort. I think besides his fascination, he had the urge to "fit in" his House. He seemed like the type that would be recognised as an oddball even in his own House, so naturally, he would want to be seen as someone who does. Being a Slytherin, he aimed high (ambition).

I think Voldemort accepted him because he had talent. It's a known fact that he's a great spell caster. He invented spells, and that word probably would have reached Voldemort. He was also an excellent Legilimens/Occlumens (though we don't know at what age he started that, but it's plausible that he began when he entered the ranks). Voldemort likes to have followers that have wit and power. Although Snape didn't have the power of being tied with high ranking officials in the Ministry, he had powerful wit.

I suppose it has to do with his Muggle father and how poorly he treated the family.
    Yes, I think that, too. The effect of seeing his parents fighting and knowing that he had no control over it, he grew up wanting to have that control over people. Again, power.

Maybe his mother was into all that, although you'd wonder why she married a Muggle if she was.
    Snape's family background is, for me, confusing. So his mother is pureblood. Was she part of the pureblood families that despise half-bloods and muggleborns? If she was, her family would obviously disown her. And with that, she would not have supported the rise of purebloods over muggles, but I wonder how she would know the daily happenings of the Wizarding world since she's disowned, and her husband didn't like anything that had to do with magic.

I think Eileen Prince's situation was alike to Merope Gaunt's. Severus said in DH, "My dad doesn't like anything much," after Lily's, "your dad doesn't like magic, does he?" So it might have been possible that before Snape's parents were married, Eileen didn't tell him of her... witchcraft. If her Muggle husband "didn't like anything much", I still don't know why she would marry him, but a physical attraction could have been the cause, and maybe even love potion...(?). Maybe since Eileen lived in a much too strict community, she was infatuated with someone who was forbidden.

And I wonder how different Snape would have turned out if he had been Sorted into Gryffindor with Lily. He was obviously a brave man to do what he did.
    Me, too. He could have been in Gryffindor because he was truly brave, but I think the reason why he went to Slytherin instead is because of how he showed his bravery. He was tricking the Dark Lord; that's fairly a Slytherin trait.

I wonder if he would have still turned to the Dark Arts?
    Err, I don't know about that XD

Phew, I didn't my post would be long