Thread: Dragon Reserves

Third Year Slytherin
    Bumper Cars in Gringotts

Dragon Reserves

I'm writing a story that takes place at three different dragon reserves: the one Charlie works at in Romania, one somewhere in northern Italy, and the MacFusty wizard clan's Hibredian Black reserve in the Hebrides.

How large do you think a dragon reservoir would have to be?

How would they conceal it from Muggles?

How would you imagine it to look from the air? Would you have to look for monuments to realize it's there or would Wizards be able to see it?

Thanks in advance!

Smiles,
    Luna

Enneirda
    Hey Luna!

I love dragons, so I hoped I helped in answering your questions...
    I would think that the grounds would be large enough for the Dragons to run, fly, play, and burn things with their awesome fire breath. Probably larger than Hogwarts' grounds. In addition to the Dragons, I think there would be a place for the personnel, like dormitories or other buildings.

Now, I found this in the Lexicon: " There are presumably dragon reservations all over the world, hidden in the mountains where Muggles are unlikely to come across them." I think the employees would enchant the buildings as well, just for extra secrecy.
    -e

Hermoine Jean Granger
    I think that the dragon reserves will definitely be huge. I think they would be as huge as certain national sanctuaries or biosphere reserves because the dragons need a lot of space to fly around and not be noticed either.

I think that a large variety of spells would be used to conceal these reserves. They could use muggle repelling charms to ward off muggles. They could also charm the entire area to look like some sort of dangerous ruin the way Hogwarts looks like to muggles. Another idea is to have a password to enter the area . This password may be a charm or spell. This leads me to another question: Would all Wizards be allowed to enter these reserves, or will there be restrictions on the number of visitors? Basically, do you think that the reserves would open for public view(only for the wizarding population, of course)like muggle zoos?

Honigkuchenpferd Hufflepuff
    "Greetings From Egypt..."
    Quote Originally Posted by Hermoine Jean Granger
    This leads me to another question: Would all Wizards be allowed to enter these reserves, or will there be restrictions on the number of visitors? Basically, do you think that the reserves would open for public view(only for the wizarding population, of course)like muggle zoos?
    I don't think so. Dragons are dangerous and sometimes vicious creatures. We have seen one in GoF. To allow civilists to enter means bringing them into harm's reach. I believe that only people working in the reserves are allowed to be there. They have the training and knowledge to stand against dragons.

I agree here with my predecessor. Dragons can get huge and need some space, especially if there are hundreds of them in one reserve. I can imagine the reserves being placed in mountaneus regions where people normally don't wander in. With the mountains providing caves, the dragons would have something like a naturally formed sleeping chamber.

About the charms: I think so, too, with Muggle repelling charms and such. And the area is probably charmed to look like something uninteresting to ward off Muggles and curious peers.

Quote Originally Posted by Hermoine Jean Granger
    Another idea is to have a password to enter the area. This password may be a charm or spell.
    I second the idea.

I hope I helped,

~Bine
    No longer a mod and no longer in charge of any forums.

author ~*~ BA banner ~*~ giggler
    Banners by Tiffany and Samarie ^

Wizengamot Ravenclaw
    You idiot! Always playing the Hero!
    Given most dragons weigh at least a few tonnes, there would have to be a great deal of land in order to keep several of them running around with plenty of (elbow?) room. For comparison sake, I would something the size of a mid-sized city would be fairly appropriate.

And as far as locations go, a dragon reserve could probably be anywhere with enough space and a suitable climate. But here is a list of dragons and their native habitiates, just to give you a jumping off point.

Antipodean Opaleye: New Zealand and Austrailia, in valleys rather than mountains
    Chinese Fireball: China
    Welsh Green: Britain (most likely Wales) in higher mountains, there is already a large dragon reserve there
    Hebridean Black: Britain, requires a hundred square miles of land per dragon
    Hungarian Horntail: Hungary
    Norwegian Ridgeback: Norway, most likely near the ocean
    Peruvian Vipertooth: Peru
    Romanian Longhorn: Romania, home of the world's largest dragon reserve, where Charlie Weasley works
    Swedish Short-Snout: Sweden, uninhabited mountain ranges
    Ukrainian Ironbelly: the Urkrain, near the Black Sea

I would suggest searching various countries to find the most remote areas they have to offer. Note: in the United States, from the Dakotas to Idoho there is pretty much nothing. I speak from experience. I have a feeling no one would noticed a few dozen dragons hiding out around there.

I think that a large variety of spells would be used to conceal these reserves. They could use muggle repelling charms to ward off muggles. They could also charm the entire area to look like some sort of dangerous ruin the way Hogwarts looks like to muggles.
    Also, given how dangerous dragons are, (even towards wizards) I would think most reserves would be Unplottable as well (just like Hogwrts and other magic schools).

And for some editional research, I found a few website for animal reserves for (not dragons, but still) large animals. Maybe studying the real thing will at least help you get a picture in your head.

Elephant Nature Park
    Kameng Elephant Reserve
    Watani Grasslands Reserve
    Campo Gorilla Reserve

Brand New Story!

Banner by lullaby_BANG. Completely awesome avi came from here!

My brand new trailer for Snape Didn't Die by thegirllikeme to serve as a constant source of inspiration whilst I write!