Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Dolores Umbridge

Wizengamot Ravenclaw
    You idiot! Always playing the Hero!
    How do you think Umbridge would react if during her reign as High Inquisiter and Headmistress, an epidemic of a diease of a somewhat sensitive nature took hold of the student body? It turns out to be just a elaborate prank by the Weasley twins, but all the same, it could mean her job and position, as well as her image in the media.

What would her reaction would be once the epidemic first took hold? What would she be willing to do to keep the outside public from finding out? What would her reactin be upon finding out the entire event was a stunt (keep in mind, it wasn't the student's fault, although she may not see it that way. It was purely the Weasley twins)?

Brand New Story!

Banner by lullaby_BANG. Completely awesome avi came from here!

My brand new trailer for Snape Didn't Die by thegirllikeme to serve as a constant source of inspiration whilst I write!

Inverarity
    First of all, in reference to the earlier question, I totally see Umbridge as a Hufflepuff. She was very hard-working: meddlesome, micromanaging, wanting to control every aspect of the school. She took her duties seriously. She was loyal: she wanted to please Fudge and prove she was a good lackey. She was also loyal to the system, she wanted everything done by the book, she thought rules were everything. Of course if the rules didn't give her enough power, then she needed more rules!

I think she'd definitely try to keep information about an epidemic from getting out. She'd say she didn't want to start a panic, but of course, she'd be more worried about her position. And if she found out the Weasleys were responsible, she'd probably do her best to get them thrown in Azkaban.

Wizengamot Ravenclaw
    In an interview with J.K., She said that Umbridge was sent to Azkaban for crimes against Muggles. Do you think she would ever be released? Would Harry and his friends argue for keeping her locked up longer? If she ever were released, would she bedifferent, or do you believed she would have learned nothing and essentially be the same person?

Brand New Story!

My brand new trailer for Snape Didn't Die by thegirllikeme to serve as a constant source of inspiration whilst I write!

MissyQuill
    Her plan mostly will be along the same as Fudge's, I think. Ignore it and it will go away. Of course, she will have to start taking it more seriously once it doesn't go away but the main reaction, in my opinion, would be A) denial, b) trying to maintain to the students/parents/media that everything was ok and lastly, upon finding out, probably try to land the twins in Azkaban.=Sammy

Third Year Hufflepuff
    Hut-on-the-Rock, The Sea
    Quote Originally Posted by OliveOil_Med
    In an interview with J.K., She said that Umbridge was sent to Azkaban for crimes against Muggles. Do you think she would ever be released? Would Harry and his friends argue for keeping her locked up longer? If she ever were released, would she bedifferent, or do you believed she would have learned nothing and essentially be the same person?
    She seems to have learned nothing from her experiences with the centuars so I'd say she'd be the same person, especially as the dementors wouldn't be there any more.

She might take more care to choose the winning side though.

Wizengamot Ravenclaw
    How many years in Azkaban do you believe Umbridge would have been sentenced to for her crimes? As much as all the students hated her, and the fact that they all grow up to be in positions of power, I wonder if she was ever released.

Brand New Story!

SeverusSempra
    The arguments about Dolores Umbridge being in Slytherin are very convincing. Since Slytherin gets a bad rap all the time, though, I'm going to play devil's advocate briefly. Oh, and I'm a Ravenclaw, so this isn't personal.

I'm sure there's probably a page on Peter Pettigrew somewhere in which there's a raging debate about how on earth someone who always has to be allied with something bigger and more powerful than himself, and who would switch loyalties to the most powerful force around even at the cost of his friends' death/ life imprisonment, wound up as a "brave" Gryffindor. Maybe he was different when he was 11, but that seems like a fairly fundamental character issue. Anyway, that's just a rambling intro to the point that if Peter Pettigrew could technically belong somewhere outside of Slytherin, I can't help but think that Dolores Umbridge could have also. I mean, it's possible.

There was an interesting and totally random chat recently, I think maybe in the Ravenclaw Common Room (?), about where the Star Wars characters would have sorted. One person made a very convincing argument for Anakin Skywalker/Darth Vader being a "bad Gryffindor," with the bravery totally misdirected, and Han Solo being a "good Slytherin" (you know, as in Luke's line "Take care of yourself, Han. It's the one thing that you're good at." Or something like that.) I agree that Umbridge seems to lack both bravery and a regard for the intellect, so Gryffindor and Ravenclaw are probably out. But if she really does have a blind loyalty to the minister and not just a craving for power by being around the powerful, she could possibly be a "bad Hufflepuff" in the way that Anakin Skywalker could be a bad Gryffindor.

There's also the fact that people change, Snape and Dumbledore being the poster-boys for that. They each had a cataclysmic life-changing event that totally altered them from then on and made them better, if sadder and wiser, people. Perhaps she started out decent (which would take some major willing suspension of disbelief on my part), and then had some major event that turned her into such a troll. OK, done being devil's advocate and defender of Slytherin.

Kcharles
    How many years in Azkaban do you believe Umbridge would have been sentenced to for her crimes? As much as all the students hated her, and the fact that they all grow up to be in positions of power, I wonder if she was ever released.
    I think that she could be there for anywhere to 5 years-lifetime. I'm guessing that they made sentances longer because there was no longer dementors guarding the prison. I think that all the former Hogwarts kids would keep her in there for as long as they could.

Inverarity
    Depends on what she was charged with. She was never a Death Eater. We see in DH that she cooperates with the Muggle-Born Registration Committee, but if that becomes a crime that can get someone put away for life, then there would be an awful lot of collaborators in the Ministry filling Azkaban after the war.

Remember, just because everyone in Hogwarts hated her doesn't mean they can arbitrarily decide to keep her in Azkaban indefinitely. Presumably, the Ministry has laws and due process of some kind (though we certainly didn't see much of it in the books).

If Umbridge never actually killed anyone and was not responsible for anyone's death, I expect she'd get a few years, but she'd be out eventually. A lot of wizards cooperated with the Voldemort regime, and if the victors enact harsh retribution on all of them, then they'd have to deal with a very divided and embittered wizarding society just when they are trying to rebuild.

weasleywannabe47
    Do you think Umdridge would ever marry or have kids?

I have her husband as Fudge.........
    And her daughter as Kadie Mechell and her son as John-David.
    They are twins, in Teddy's year, and Umbridge was killed in the war, and Fudge......how could I write him out of the story?? (I'll post this in the Fudge thread)

Is this beleivable?