Thread: Discussion#2: Why hasn't my Hogwarts Letter Arrived?

MithrilQuill

Discussion#2: Why hasn't my Hogwarts Letter Arrived?

(First of all, please read the most recent announcement HERE about what's expected in these discussions.)

As the thread title suggests, this time we'll be dealing with Squibs.
    "Well -- it's not funny really -- but as it's Filch," he said. "A Squib is someone who was born into a wizarding family but hasn't got any magic powers. Kind of the opposite of Muggle-born wizards, but Squibs are quite unusual. If Filch's trying to learn magic from a Kwikspell course, I reckon he must be a Squib. It would explain a lot. Like why he hates students so much." Ron gave a satisfied smile. "He's bitter."

-- Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets, Chapter 9
    Poor dears, Filch and Arabella. It must've been very difficult to live as Squibs.

But what about their parents?

So the topic presents itself: discuss the possible ways with which the canon families would treat a Squib child. Normally original characters aren't allowed, but for this once, you'll have to give a Squib child to any canon character and show us how they would treat him/her - would they exclude him from the Wizarding community and bring him up like a Muggle? Would they try and fit him into the magical community? What would they do?

Remember, drabbles have to be from a canon character's point of view. Drabbles from the origical character's (Squib's) PoV are not proper for this discussion.

Please ask in the relevant thread if you have questions/need clarification. This thread is for drabbles only.

Please use this form when submitting:
    Name:
    House:
    Title:
    Drabble you’re responding to (title, original author and post number):
    Warnings:
    Word count:
    Have Fun!

Honigkuchenpferd Hufflepuff
    "Greetings From Egypt..."
    Name: luinrina
    House: Hufflepuff
    Title: Orphaning
    Warnings: none
    Word count: 497 *phew*

For Violetta Black the day had begun just like any other day. Upon getting up, she had found her breakfast ready; at noon lunch had been served, and exactly with the four o’clock chimes the tea had been brought into the drawing room. She had wanted to read, but her children had come into the room and announced that their cousin Cedrella had received her Hogwarts acceptance letter – whereas Violetta’s own son Marius hadn’t got his owl.

Violetta now sat in the chaise lounge of her husband’s study, while Cygnus Black paced up and down the room. The silence was tense, and the steady click of the grandfather clock was hammering on Violetta’s nerves.

‘If this news makes the rounds, then our reputation will be ruined,’ she said, massaging her temples with her long slender fingers. ‘Just the idea of a Squib in our family… intolerable! What do you suggest, Cygnus?’

The dark-haired man paused in his pacing and took a deep breath. ‘Have you tried to coax him into doing magic?’

‘Of course! Who do you think I am that I’m not trying to prove my son not being a Squib?’

‘Then there is clear evidence that he can’t do magic?’ he asked without going into what his wife had said.

Violetta slumped back against the chaise lounge’s backrest. ‘Yes.’ She followed him with her eyes when he made his way over to the window. ‘What do you suggest, Cygnus?’ she repeated her question from earlier.

He didn’t answer right away, but looked outside. After several moments he turned around and said, ‘I won’t have a son who’s a Squib.’

Violetta looked shocked. ‘You want to kill him?’ With a hurried movement she was up and stood in front of Cygnus. ‘You can’t! He’s still of our flesh and blood.’

‘Maybe of our flesh, but not of our blood.’ He made to leave the room, side-stepping his wife.

‘Cygnus, please, don’t! We… could give him away.’

He stopped and looked back at her. ‘Who would take him?’

‘Eh…’ Violetta was at a loss, but when Cygnus took another step towards the study’s door, she said, ‘A Muggle orphanage. Take from him his memory of who he is, and he can start a new life.’

Cygnus thought about it. ‘Why?’ he asked.

Slowly, hot tears ran down Violetta’s cheeks. ‘Because he’s still my son. As he is yours. Take from him his name, but not his life. Take from him his memories, but not his breath.’ She gulped and added a tentative, ‘Please.’

Cygnus closed his eyes. His wife was right; Marius was still his son – but no longer worth carrying that title if he wasn’t able to do magic.

‘All right,’ he agreed, sighing. ‘I’ll bring him into an orphanage. You have an hour to bid him farewell.’

With that, Cygnus left the room; his first step in preparing to orphan his son Marius was to go and remove his name from the Black Family tree.
    Thanks to Terri (mudbloodproud) for betaing this piece for me.

Kehribar: Fantastic work - exactly what we're looking for. Ten points to Hufflepuff!
    No longer a mod and no longer in charge of any forums.

author ~*~ BA banner ~*~ giggler
    Banners by Tiffany and Samarie ^

Mistletoe
    Name: Mistletoe
    House: Slytherin
    Title: The Bench
    Drabble you’re responding to (title, original author and post number): Orphaning, luinrina, second post
    Warnings: None.
    Word count: 373
    It was difficult for me to be here. Wrong, against my family’s beliefs, but I couldn’t restrain. He was my flesh, but not my blood, as my husband said. I didn’t care, though; my maternal instinct was too strong. I had been told by my sisters and husband to let him go, to forget the son that I had loved so strongly.

I couldn’t, and that is what brought me to this grim Muggle bus stop bench once a month. His schedule was simple: he woke when he wanted (which tended to be eleven o’clock), he ate meals at the orphanage, and he went for a walk around dusk.

The moment he would walk from the dark, faded front door of the rectangular orphanage, my heart would skip a beat. Seeing the changes in Marius as he grew was delightful, I only wished I could have watched from up close instead of from where I was.

However, it was a comfort knowing he had little recollection of his childhood years. My husband has wiped the memories away that mattered, and sent him on. It had been so easy for my husband, but so difficult for me. I could not show my weakness or I felt I would not survive that life I lived. My husband was cold and strong, powerful one might say, but I had been crumpled the day Marius left, and I always would be just that: crumpled.

He was my flesh and blood, my heart and soul. No one spoke of him, or thought of him. I dreamt about him occasionally, and was afraid my livid dreams would cause me to cry out in the night. It always caused me discomfort to know I was the only one who had lost a part of themselves with the child who was not magical.

I was shaken from my thoughts as a tall dark haired boy walked towards me.

“Pardon me, I can’t help but notice you sit on this bench but never get on the bus that passes.” He paused to shove his hands in his pockets. “What are you waiting on?”

I cleared my face of the emotion that was pounding behind it and replied, “I’m waiting for closure, dear.”
    I hope I did that correctly >.<

Kehribar: A heart-wrenching drabble, indeed, but sadly, not qualified for the discussion. Did Violetta Black not have thoughts of alternate ways to bring up his Squib son? I see only acceptance of the situation luinrina provided

--Kat

Gonz
    Name: Gonz
    House: Hufflepuff
    Title: What's Best
    Drabble you’re responding to (title, original author and post number): Orphaning, luinrina, second post
    Warnings: None
    Word count: 495

Lucy just sat there staring out the window waiting for a letter that would never arrive and Percy found himself unable to stop watching her. She was such an optimistic child, someone who found joy in everything. He was afraid of ending that joy, of telling his youngest daughter that she was a Squib.

Percy’s view of his daughter was cut off as his wife Audrey walked into his office and closed the door.

“I spoke to Sprout today, and Lucy will not be able to attend Hogwarts,” Audrey said grimly.

Percy nodded; Audrey’s words simply confirmed what they knew all along.

“I’ve been looking into some Muggle schools. I’ve found one where the Dean is a Squib and specializes in helping Squibs adjust to Muggle world.” Aubrey paused, letting grief flicker across her face. “There’s nothing for Lucy in our world. It what’s best.”

Percy could tell that Audrey’s mind was made up, she had seen a problem and found the best solution; it’s what he admired about her so much, yet, Percy wondered if there wasn’t a better option for Squib children

What were they doing? What was he doing? He was thinking of Lucy just as a Squib, as some sort of burden that they had to get rid of. What sort of father was he to his daughters if he could think these thoughts? How could he simply send his daughter away to some strange school where she knew nothing of their habits?

How could he protect Lucy if she joined the Muggle world?

He lost his family once he wouldn’t lose them again.

“No.”

“Excuse me,” Audrey replied, disbelievingly.

“It’s not best to just send Lucy away, to make her someone else’s problem. She’s our child, we can continue home schooling her.”

“Percy, have you forgotten what we decided when we wanted to have kids, I quit my job to raise them until it was time for them to go to Hogwarts. I’m leaving for Spain in two weeks as the Ministry’s official ambassador. I can’t take Lucy with me.”

How could have he forgotten? His wife’s new job, the one she had wanted all of her life. If Lucy was to stay at home, he would have to be the one who took care of her.

“I’ll do it.”

“Are you mad, Percy? Kingsley’s retiring at the end of the year, he going to endorse you. You can’t be the Minister and a stay at home Dad.”

Merlin’s beard, why does this have to be so complicated? All his life he had dreamed, had worked, so that one day he could be Minister of Magic. How could he just give that all up?

Whose dreams were more important, his or his daughters?

Percy thought of his daughter sitting patiently by a window for a letter that would never arrive and made up his mind.

“I don’t know how it will work, but I do know that it’s what’s best.”
    Kehribar: Great job! Ten points to Hufflepuff.

ashestoashes
    hmm...never done this before but I like this topic so I'll give it a shot.

Name: Tehlor
    House: Ravenclaw
    Title: Indecision
    Drabble you’re responding to (title, original author and post number): What's best, Gonz, 4th post.
    Warnings: None
    Word count: 479

Draco paced his study restlessly, trying and failing to keep his eyes off the ornate calender on his wall. Finally he gave up the effort and glared at it instead, as if by force of will he could somehow make it burst into flames. Or at least change its implications.

The harsh truth of the matter was that Draco's youngest son was eleven years old, and his Hogwarts letter should have arrived three days prior.

Alexander Malfoy, second son of Draco Malfoy…was a squib.

Draco sighed heavily and called out for his wife, who was standing just outside the door listening to his pacing with growing anxiety. Ginny Weasley entered the room quietly, slipping an arm around her agitated husband's waist.

"How?" He asked without turning to face his wife. "Our families go back centuries, purebloods all the way! How could we have produced a...a..." he could not bring himself to say the word.

"...squib?" Ginny offered gently, and Draco shuddered. "It's time to accept it Draco." She continued in the same comforting tone. "We're going to have to figure out how to tell Alexander."

"We can't tell him until we've decided what's to be done." Draco answered, his voice no longer desperate and pleading, but hard and uncompromising. "We should begin the interviews immediately."

"Interviews?" Ginny said, her voice dangerous, her eyes flashing with anger. "Interviews for what exactly darling?"

"A muggle family of course." Draco replied, his gaze steely as his eyes met his wife's. "Alexander will have to be placed in a family that can continue raising him to our standards while still integrating him into the muggle world."

Tears filled Ginny's eyes at the evidence of her husband's heartlessness. "You would cast him aside?" She all but whispered. "Throw him out? Your own son?"

"I don't see what other choice we have." He said, refusing to be moved by her tears.

"We're his parents Draco! He's our responsibility! We can't give him away just because he's not magical! He's our son! Not just some squib to be disposed of!” A creaking sound interrupted their heated discussion and they both turned to the door where Alexander stood with tears in his eyes. His eyes - Draco thought, his heart breaking in his chest - are the same shade as his mother’s. Looking down at his son, Draco knew that had he himself been born a squib his own father would have cast him out. This thought, ironically, made all the difference.

He would not be like his father, cruel and uncompromising. He would not lose his son. Alexander and Ginny looked at him with identical, pleading eyes. It would take time to get used to, the idea of a Malfoy born a squib, but he would not be the second generation of Malfoy fathers to cast out their flesh and blood.

“He stays.” He said finally, and strode from the room.
    kehribar: Nice. I'm a bit worried about Ginny's characterization, though - she doesn't give up to tears easily; she's a fighter. Five points to Ravenclaw.

Roonil_Wazlib125

My Drabble

Coool!

Name: Roonil_Wazlib125/Annmarie Mullen
    House:Ravenclaw!
    Title:No Place for a Squib
    Drabble you’re responding to (title, original author and post number): Indecision, ashetoashes, 5th Post.
    Warnings:Some rather cruel behavior and lots of crying and sobbing, and some DH disregard.
    Word count: 410 words

Draco paced the dining room's polished floor, muttering. His wife, Arabella Malfoy, approached him, carrying little 4 year old Scorpius. She touched his shoulder and said, "Sweetie, relax."
    "How can I possible relax?" he roared, turning around angrily. "How can I relax when... when my son is... is a SQUIB!"
    Arabella gasped as she cradled Scorpius' head. He had begun to cry at the outburst. "You got the results of the test?" she whispered.
    Draco nodded and swallowed hard. "I don't know how. It must be a fluke. But, I did the caculations twice myself, and it's true. Our son is a Squib."
    Arabella sighed. "Well, we'll just have to make the best of it! We'll enroll him in a Muggle school and maybe try for another child. Or maybe, none at all! We could just keep Scorpius as an only child and he can grow up as a Muggle."
    "No..." Draco swallowed hard again. "No... I couldn't! If any of my friends see that the Malfoy name isn't strolling around Hogwarts, they'll ask me and I'll be forced to confess! We're getting that little runt Kwikspell lessons and sending him off to Hogwarts."
    "Honey, please, this isn't Scorpius' fault!" Arabella protested, but Draco shook his head, his face red with anger.
    "YES IT IS!" he fumed. "AND THAT LITTLE RUNT CAN GO BACK TO WHERE HE CAME FROM!"
    Snatching the baby from Arabella's clutches, he began to abuse the child, hitting and smacking it and dropping it on the floor. Arabella watched, weeping. Scorpius wailed, but Draco didn't stop until the child had basically passed out from his injuries. Casting him aside, Draco stormed to his room as the child's wails pierced the air.
    That night, Draco took Arabella to the parlor and said a final farewell.
    "My darling, I cannot stay here. I cannot face that child anymore. I must go. I'm sorry my sweet! But, I can't bear to look at him..."
    Arabella let a tear fall down her cheek. "Sweetheart, just... just be strong. Stand up to your friends and let them see how... how having a Squib doesn't bother you! Do it, please!"
    "No... he's better off without a father. Perhaps... perhaps I will return, but when the boy is old. Please, don't make this harder than it has to be. Bring him up the way you wish. And reassure him that I somehow love him."
    And with that said, he Disappearated with a faint pop!

It's kind of sad that Draco hates his son like that, but I tried to be in character. I think I went a little overboard, but I really think Draco would be really ashamed of having a Squib for a kid.
    I hope you liked it though!
    Roonil_Wazlib125
    Annmarie Mullen