Thread: What Slytherins Are In James/Lily's Year?

Alices_Eclipse

What Slytherins Are In James/Lily's Year?

I'm writing a fic in the Marauder Era, and I was wondering who would Snape's room-mates be? They'd be in his year, obviously, and probably his friends Lily didn't like. Can I just make O.C.'s, or is there anybody that has to be there?

Hermoine Jean Granger
    I think Mulciber and Avery would be there. You can also add Nott, Rabastan Lestrange and Evan Rosier.

Hope that helped!!

Sixth Year Slytherin
    De-gnoming the Garden

Quote Originally Posted by Alices_Eclipse
    Can I just make O.C.'s, or is there anybody that has to be there?
    If you look at this quote from Sirius Black pulled from Lexicon, you'll get an idea that Severus did hang around a select few people from his house:

"Snape knew more curses when he arrived at school than half the kids in the seventh year and he was part of a gang of Slytherins who nearly all turned out to be Death Eaters"
    (GF25).
    From this quote, I gather that the 9 Deatheaters that were summoned to Little Hangleton graveyard in GOF would be your best start.

Avery was one, Crabbe, Goyle, Walden McNair, Nott & Malfoy was there too. These were the only names that I came across on the site that said they had attended Voldermort's "re-birthing" party.

The Lexicon also states that Roldolphus Lestrange (as well as Rabastan) was considered to be part of that "gang of Slytherins" that Snape belonged to. So was Wilkes and Evan Rosier. Although they weren't quoted as being at the graveyard, they were considered by Sirius Black as being apart of that "gang" that Snape affiliated himself with during his school years at Hogawarts.
    M.R.S.

GringottsVault711
    Quote Originally Posted by mrsmcclnt

Avery was one, Crabbe, Goyle, Walden McNair, Nott & Malfoy was there too. These were the only names that I came across on the site that said they had attended Voldermort's "re-birthing" party.
    You'll also want to note that some of them wouldn't have been at school with Snape - He started school in 1971, with Lily, James and the other Marauders. Lucius, for instance, was six years ahead of Snape (Narcissa five years ahead). Crabbe, Goyle, McNair and Nott have no specificed dates, so they're safe options.

Other known Slytherins from 1970's include Wilkes and Rosier. There's also Rabastan and Rodolphus Lestrange, but it's hard to tell if they attended Hogwarts at the same time as Snape et al, or if they were finishing up.

Concerning the list Sirius provides, it's a little mucky because of the information on the Black Family tree and the birthdates of the Black sisters.

Bellatrix Lestrange, according to her birthdate, would have started school nearly a decade prior to that, meaning that she would have likely left before Snape began school. JKR is a rather infamously bad with keeping her timelines straight, but I think it's generally safer to assume the birthdates are canon and that the "gang of Slytherins" Sirius refers to weren't necessarily one group of people at Hogwarts, but a circle of people that Snape associated with in and out of school (ie, when he was about 14 or 15, he was hanging out with the Lestranges during the summer, which might explain why there wasn't anyone ever there to defend Snape when James and Sirius bullied him).

Regulus, based on dates provided, would have been in the year behind Snape.

You're usually safer picking names we already know then creating a batch OC's, especially with Slytherins, as they're are all purebloods. So, even if you're not picking known Slytherins from that specific time period, you can usually also sort of pick through other known Slytherins, and repeat their surnames. (Flint, Bole, Derrick, Vaisey, Higgs, etc

AurorKeefy
    Quote Originally Posted by HBP p.463
    'Good gracious, is that the time already? You'd better get going, boys, or we'll all be in trouble. Lestrange, I want your essay by tomorrow or it's detension. Same goes for you, Avery.'
    -Professor Slughorn, talking to Riddle and his friends.

Avery and Lestrange were at school in Voldemort's time - unless that refers to their parents, but that seems distinctly unlikely, judging by the timeline. So not those two.

EDIT: Hmm. Blasted timeline is down on the Lexicon, but it appears that I am, indeed, wrong on this one, and GringottsVault711, below, is correct. Drat. >_<

GringottsVault711
    Quote Originally Posted by AurorKeefy

Avery and Lestrange were at school in Voldemort's time - unless that refers to their parents, but that seems distinctly unlikely, judging by the timeline. So not those two.
    Both Avery and Lestrange during Tom Riddle's time are widely considered by the fandom to be different from the more "contemporary" Avery and (Rabastan) Lestrange. Avery is listed as two seperate people at the Lexicon. There is no mention of the third Lestrange from Riddle's generation (at least not last time I checked), but Rabastan is listed as being close in age to Rodolphus and Bellatrix.

And given that Tom Riddle was born in the 20's and the Malfoy-Black-Lestrange-Snape-Marauder generation were born in the 50's, it's completely possible that they were their fathers, or possibly uncles.

Alices_Eclipse
    Hi, wow, loads of people replied, kudo's to everybody who did.
    So I should basically use some known slytherin names, and use some older Slyhterins, while trying to avoid using people who already graduated *gulps*.
    Thanks, this totally helped.