Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 513141516 LastLast

Thread: Being British: Act IX

Wizengamot Hufflepuff
    Kill the Spare
    I'm not sure what your character's suffering from but here's a few common medicines available in UK.

Brand names like Anadin - which is paracetemol, Disprin (soluble asprin) and Nurofen (ibruprofen) is popular too. Alka-Seltzer is a hangover remedy which gets rid of headache and settles the stomach.

Not sure what an anti-pyretic is- is it an anti-inflammatory? If so the Nurofen is good for that. If you had a sore ankle or something then you'd take Nurofen to reduce swelling and help with the pain.

Children would take Calpol (paracetamol liquid) or Nurofen liquid.

I'm not too sure about balms- I've used tiger balm for headaches in the past- it's very much an alternative remedy but pretty effective! If you had toothache you can buy Oil of Cloves (very traditional rememdy) or Anbesol which is a liquid- good for teething and other toothaches.

Or there's heat producing creams for aches and pains- Deep Heat being the most well known.

Hope this helps. PM me if you wish and I'll try and find something more specific.

Carole
    xxx

Banner by the fabulous Julia - theoplaeye

Sixth Year Hufflepuff
    Voldemort's on the Back of Your Head, Professor
    Thank you, Carole!

My character is suffering from indigestion. Actually, there's something that happens which shocks her so much that she suffers with an unsettled stomach and headache- these are the symptoms of indigestion as well as a hangover, but the character is a teetotaller .

An anti-pyretic is a medicine which is used to reduce fever. In India, Crocin is the most common medicine for both headaches and fever. Saridon is effective against headache too.

So now, I'd like to know about some of the famous anti pyretics there.

Thank you!
    ~ Pooja

AMAZING story banner by Nadia/majestic_ginny! Dimply Sammeh by me.
    I found a liquor store. I drank it.

Wizengamot Hufflepuff
    Kill the Spare
    Indigestion- Rennies (tablets that taste minty) Gaviscon (tablets which can be chewed, or in a liquid form) but for upset stomach and headache stick to Alka-Seltzer.

Anyi-pyretics- well anything that's been mentioned before in the pain-relieving mould. If it were a cold or the flu then Lemsip ( a lemon flavoured sachet that you make into a hot drink) or Beechams powders. Effective at bringing the temp down but only because they have paracetemol in.

Banner by the fabulous Julia - theoplaeye

Wizengamot Ravenclaw
    You idiot! Always playing the Hero!
    I have a question. I'm pretty sure that in Britain, you have vending machines for sodas (fizzy drinks?) and chips (crisps?). In 1998 (before Euros came around), what would have been the typical price for a soda from one of these machines? A bag of chips?

Brand New Story!

Banner by lullaby_BANG. Completely awesome avi came from here!

My brand new trailer for Snape Didn't Die by thegirllikeme to serve as a constant source of inspiration whilst I write!

Sixth Year Slytherin
    Snape's Not Evil?

Britain doesn't have Euros.

Ten years ago a coke/pop/soda would have been about 60p. Bag of crisps 25p.
    Blessed is he who expects nothing, for he shall never be disappointed.

Alexander Pope

Sixth Year Hufflepuff
    Seeking Keys
    I have a question. I'm pretty sure that in Britain, you have vending machines for sodas (fizzy drinks?) and chips (crisps?). In 1998 (before Euros came around), what would have been the typical price for a soda from one of these machines? A bag of chips?
    Yeah, soda is fizzy drinks, or some people call it pop (I think). Also, chips are crisps.

Gorgeous_Ginny
    Quote Originally Posted by inspirations
    Yeah, soda is fizzy drinks, or some people call it pop (I think). Also, chips are crisps.
    In the north eastern area's (Sunderland, Durham, Middlesborough, Newcastle) it is classed as pop, then water is called council pop.

By the way the council is a group of people lead by a Mayor( I don't think that is spelt right?), and they are in charge so to speak of certain areas, i.e. Bristol, London, Sunderland, Newcastle, Kent etc.

Sixth Year Slytherin
    Snape's Not Evil?

it is classed as pop, then water is called council pop.
    Oh my gosh... not to digress from the main thread... but my grandad always used to call tap water Corporation Pop, corporation being an old term for council. There's a phrase for anyone writing Grindelwand era!

5 house points for the first author to work that into a fic, in context and in that time period. :-)

Alexander Pope

Wizengamot Ravenclaw
    You idiot! Always playing the Hero!
    5 house points for the first author to work that into a fic, in context and in that time period. :-)
    You mean it?

Just so this thread isn't counted as total spam, I do have a few culture questions.

What are the names of some art schools in London, or universities with good art programs?

I'm pretty sure that British colleges don't have dorms, so is there an area of London known for being home to a lot of university students?

Ten years ago, what would a croissant at a bakery go for?

What part of London is a good area to find street performers?

Brand New Story!

Banner by lullaby_BANG. Completely awesome avi came from here!

My brand new trailer for Snape Didn't Die by thegirllikeme to serve as a constant source of inspiration whilst I write!

Sixth Year Slytherin
    Snape's Not Evil?

St Martins is THE college of art. Slade would also be considered. Both in London.

Student accomodation in London is non existent oustide of the City. You would be looking at the suburbs currently. Go East.

Croissants... in London...filled or basic? 1 to 1.50

Street performers... Covent Garden. Absolutely no question.

Alexander Pope