Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Being British: Act IX

Wizengamot Hufflepuff
    Kill the Spare
    Anyway, I was wondering what my OC's mum would call him and his little brother as pet names. I'm thinking of doing a flashback when they're really, really small, say, three-and-four-ish

I can't speak for everyone but my mum came up with all sorts of names for us as we were growing up- usually related to our size. (If you look at the names Petunia calls Dudley you get the idea- although they're quite extreme.)

Some I've thought of off the top of my head are:-
    'little chick' 'dumpling' 'sweetie' 'kitten' 'angel'

Or you could relate it to their names. I have a son called Charlie and have often called him 'Charlie Chuckles' - it's the alliteration that makes me think it's cute I guess.

Or maybe something they called themselves because they couldn't say their names properly when they were little. So Fred and George may have been Fwed and Gorg. Hermione coulkd have been 'My-knee'

Hope that helps.
    I'm a BARMAID. I write. I drabble. I duel. I poet. I'm a BADGER!!!

Banner by minnabird

Heather25x
    Equinox Chick basically has it all lol, but also a mother might call a daughter "Poppet" or "Sweetheart"

Oh and i've never heard the term "Patsy" lol, just thought i would say that.

~Heather

Wizengamot Hufflepuff
    Kill the Spare
    Just had another thought

Originally Posted by moonymaniac

Hello, I was wondering if Brits use the term patsy for someone who is easily duped/deceived. You know, "They swindled him out of every Knut he had. He's such a patsy!"
    If you're using a term to describe the victim of a con then they may call the victim 'the mark'

'Patsy'? I've never heard the term. Is that regional?
    Lee Harvey Oswald shouted "It wasn't me. I'm a patsy" several times when he was being arrested following the assassination of JFK meaning that he was the scapegoat or fallguy I think.

Banner by minnabird

BleedINink
    What is the department of motor vehicles called, where a character would go to get his licence, permit, register a car and such?

h_vic
    It's the DVLA (Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency), but you don't tend to go there (just send off the forms), and I think road tax can still be paid at the post office (or sending off a form and check, by card over the phone or on-line).

For taking your test there are driving test centres spread around the country (most cities will have at least one).

Hope some of that was what you were looking for,

~Hannah

BleedINink
    Ok, say Ron is going to get his licence, he would :

Send in for his permit, pay road taxes and then go to the driving test centre or...

Please help the poor American

Wizengamot Hufflepuff
    Kill the Spare
    I can't drive *sigh* as have failed my test three times (Darn it I wish I could confund the examiner!) but firstly we call it a licence not permit

he wouldn't pay road taxes and/or insurance until he'd passed his test.

Since 1997 in this country all drivers have had to sit a theory test, and pass it, before they can take their actual driving test. It's in multiple choice format and is quite easy. On getting these results you apply for a test - this will come through for about a months time but you can opt take a cancellation which could be any empty slot.

On the day of the test the examiner will first check your eyesight by asking you to read a car number plate in the car park- you are allowed to wear glasse f you need them.
    Then you'll take your test. It's essential that you can perform a three point turn, emergency stop and reversing round a corner. There's another element as well but I've erased it from my brain- sorry I really can't remember it.

Then if you pass (and this is what i've been told because I've never experienced it )
    he/she will congratulate you. He or she will then drive you back to the test centre or where ever the test started because you are now a fully fledged driver but can't drive the instructors car because you're no longer insured to drive it. The Instructor's car is only insured for his students and himself- does that make sense. The instructor will give you a slip of paper that you send off to the DVLA to get your proper licence. However I'm not sure if you have to wait until that's come through or not. I think you get a temporary one until the permanant one gets sent out but don't quote me.

If you fail then you'll be told what you failed on and given a piece of paper with everything you failed on. This can be quite extensive. The failed student may then sulkily leave the car or burst into tears if she happens to be 8m pregnant!

Blimey that's just brought back lots of horrid memories- ha ha.

Banner by minnabird

BleedINink
    Thanks. That helps alot.

*Mental image: Ron 8 months pregnant *

Savannah Hen Slytherin
    Sirius Black Entered Gryffindor Tower
    Just thought i'd add a bit to what Equinox Chick said.

Until you have passed your test you have what's called a provisional license which is green and shows that you're not yet a qualified driver.

The other element in addition to the emergency stop, three-point turn (they call it a turn in the road in the test because if it's a narrow road you can take more than three points.), and reverse round a corner is the parallel park (I think they might call it a reverse park.).

When I took my test (both times!) you had to drive back to the test centre as part of it and so didn't get told you'd passed/failed until then. If you do pass, you can drive straight away and I was told to use my certificate as proof until the real license arrived (which is pink by the way)

A word on actually learning. If Ron is learning with an instructor then he would use their car for the test but it would be possible for someone else to accompany him if they're over 21 and have had their license for at least 3 years. In that case, he would need to be insured on that car and it would need to be taxed etc.

Also, Equinox Chick I didn't realise the reason behind not being allowed to drive back from the test centre. The time I failed I assumed it was because I was crying too much to actually see the road, but I thought I would when I passed but wasn't allowed again.

Adrian won a QSQ! Thanks to Minnabird for the beautiful banner. Click on it to read Stolen Magic - the story of the second wizarding war through a very different character's eyes.

Wizengamot Hufflepuff
    Kill the Spare
    *Mental image: Ron 8 months pregnant *
    That will make me smile for the rest of the day.

Real reason for coming back on is that I think there's a bit in the test now where you have to show you know a bit about how the car works, how to change the oil and the like.

I can just see Arthur giving Ron lots of advice and being totally wrong!

Banner by minnabird