Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Being British: Act IX

Savannah Hen Slytherin
    Sirius Black Entered Gryffindor Tower
    Yes, we call them ice cream vans. I'm not sure of the specific song either but it's something that you always just know when you hear it. Whenever you hear it you know what's coming. You could just describe it as the familiar tune.

As for specific ice creams. Most vans will sell Mr Whippy in cones and you can get single or double cones, some might do waffle cones, you can get it in a little tubs or also in plastic cone-shaped things which have a ball of bubblegum at the bottom and are called screwballs. You can usually add a flake or some sort of sauce, strawberry, chocolate etc. I used to call a cone with a flake a 99, I think because they used to cost 99p but don't know if that's still used.

Then in addition to the ice creams you get lollies.
    Some examples are:
    Fruit Pastille Lolly
    Mini Milk
    Calypo (not sure if I've spelt that right)
    Some sort of plain fruit lolly - orange/strawberry
    Split

Oh wow, I can't actually think of any more. I guess I'm too set in my ways for what I usually have.

Also, ice cream vans sometimes then have a selection of drinks and sweets.

Hope this helps

Adrian won a QSQ! Thanks to Minnabird for the beautiful banner. Click on it to read Stolen Magic - the story of the second wizarding war through a very different character's eyes.

apollo13
    Yeah, they're still called 99s, but they don't cost 99p anymore!!!

Don't forget Solero Shots, Feats, Fab, Magnum, and the wonderful CORNETTO!

~Evie

Wizengamot Hufflepuff
    Kill the Spare
    With regard to ice creams- it would depend what era you're writing about. If it's a Marauder era story then charging 99p for a 99 cone is the sort of thing they used to do in 70's to rip off unsuspecting tourists! That could work for conning wizards too. Ice creams of that era would influde FAB, FEAST, Mini Milk, Orange Mivvy, Lemonade Fizz and Strawberry Split. Also choc ices were popular.(ice cream encased in chocolate, sold in a block.)

In the 80's (Tonks era perhaps) Cornettos were coming in.

In the 90's and now Magnums, and the fruit pastille ones, Solero's, Calypo's.

You can't get FAB's any more or Orange Mivvy's.

I don't think they play Greensleeves it seems to be a familiar tinkling tune but I don't know what it is. It's NOT The Entertainer- I do know that.

Hope this helps.
    I'm a BARMAID. I write. I drabble. I duel. I poet. I'm a BADGER!!!

Banner by minnabird

apollo13
    You can get FABs. I love Fabs.

spamspamspam

~Evie

Jeffersonian Intern Gryffindor
    I See Dead People... In Mirrors
    Thanks to everyone for all their help! The fic in question is a Marauders Era, by the way. And I don't think I'll actually mention the name of the song - it was more because I was curious.

And just to be clear, I'd be safe using strawberry lollies, screwballs, and Fabs in a Marauders Era fic (a la 1971), right?

Thanks!
    - Melissa

Super awesome banner by Ari / A.H.

apollo13
    Yup, that would be fine.

~Evie

Lyratearsx
    Dudes, need some help quick!

What would sneakers be called?
    What do you call shades (the things you put over windows so people can't see in)?
    And in the early 2000s, did you have any cult TV shows?

Thank you!

~Lyra

Third Year Hufflepuff
    Hut-on-the-Rock, The Sea
    I can't help with the third question, but I'll try the other two. Anyone else please feel free to correct me.

Sneakers are runners.
    Shades would be blinds.

apollo13
    What do you mean by cult tv shows?

~Evie

Wizengamot Hufflepuff
    Kill the Spare
    I would have had Sneakers as Trainers- I've not heard of Runners (it might be a regional thing)

Shades- Yep blinds unless they're more like curtains so they could be net curtains.

Cult TV shows of 2000's. Comedy or action? Buffy had a good cult following here. Seinfeld was a bit more cultish because it was shown late so no-one saw it (I know it was HUGE is USA but never took off here). If you mean a programme that's inspired huge devotion then something like Star Trek, Dr Who or Blake's 7. The latter hasn't been on for 20 years but that doesn't stop it's fans desperate to get it back on air. Dr Who is a bit more populist now though.

I'll see if I can think of a few more as I'm a bit of a TV addict.
    I'm a BARMAID. I write. I drabble. I duel. I poet. I'm a BADGER!!!

Banner by minnabird