Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Being British: Act IX

rita_skeeter

Being British: Act IX

Just as a general rule, please do NOT create your own new Being British threads in future. That's a task I keep for myself only.

As you all know, this thread is for all things to do with Britain, and that includes customs, school, food, work, etc.

Please do remember that we do have a large base of users who join us from the UK and Ireland on these boards, and we've had plenty of reponses from them in the past. Therefore, please could ONLY Brits answer things in here.

Make sure you're polite at all times - particularly if you're correcting/disagreeing with an answer some has posted previously. Remember we all make mistakes and deserve to be treated with respect. Points will be deducted if you are attacking users personally.

And as always, you're reminded that there is time difference for all of you living anywhere but in GMT zones, so you may have a while to wait before someone replies to your post. Be patient, please!

So have fun, and enjoy your discussions!

Fourth Year Hufflepuff
    McGonagall Likes My Quidditch Skills
    So, I'm wondering that once British students leave colleges or so, do they live independently? leave their childhood homes and rent places? Or do they usually live together in the family home?

I'm writing about James Potter. Given post-hogwarts, where does he live? With parents or without?

Thanks,

Akay

"Same story, different versions, and all are true."
    - Tia Dalma, Pirates of the Caribbean II

Lovely banner by ze bean and avatar from the brilliant
    LJ home of mrserinreynolds

deviantART page here

emmaholloway
    I think at 18 when they leave school they are more likely to stay at home, but I really don't think that it has much to do with being in Britain, and there really isn't a commonly accepted move for people to do. Alot ot it would depend on money, as renting somewhere to live can obviously be very expensive, especially in places like London.

I think it more depends on the character though. Would James want to stay at home and be looked after by his parents, have his meals cooked and his clothes washed for him ect, or would he want to prove he could be independent?

Wizengamot Hufflepuff
    Kill the Spare
    Quote Originally Posted by Padfoot Patronus
    So, I'm wondering that once British students leave colleges or so, do they live independently? leave their childhood homes and rent places? Or do they usually live together in the family home?

I'm writing about James Potter. Given post-hogwarts, where does he live? With parents or without?

Thanks,

Akay
    I think generally speaking, in the 70's and 80's most students wouldn't go back home to live with their parents. Once you've made the move out to independence it's very hard to go back to living in the family home. I think it unlikely that James would return home- (he'd probably rent a place with Sirius!) .

If you were writing about these days, however, most students can't afford to rent or buy a place of their own so many more are staying at home - much to the annoyance of their parents who probably want rid of them.
    I'm a BARMAID. I write. I drabble. I duel. I poet. I'm a BADGER!!!

Banner by minnabird

Savannah Hen Slytherin
    Sirius Black Entered Gryffindor Tower

Thanks,

Akay
    It varies but I would say in the case of James he would most likely have left home. Plus, he and Lily got married fairly soon after Hogwarts - which would have meant they'd have moved into the house at Godric's Hollow. It could be that he went home briefly and then once they were married moved out, or he and Lily could have started living together before marriage, or he could have stayed with Siriue.

Adrian won a QSQ! Thanks to Minnabird for the beautiful banner. Click on it to read Stolen Magic - the story of the second wizarding war through a very different character's eyes.

Gorgeous_Ginny

Thanks,

Akay
    I would say that he would have gone straight to living by himself, especially since he was a wizard. I would say that he would want to be independent after living by himself for his school. However just a quick note muggle students go to college at 16 until 18, it can also be called a sixth form and mainly for the first year its living with parents and second most people tend to live by themselves. Just incase you wanted to include any muggle parts to your story!

Hope I could help!

emmaholloway
    However just a quick note muggle students go to college at 16 until 18, it can also be called a sixth form and mainly for the first year its living with parents and second most people tend to live by themselves. Just incase you wanted to include any muggle parts to your story!
    I know this doesn't have to do with the question at all but I wouldn't agree with that. I've only ever heard of one girl leaving home during the second year of sixth form, and that was because her parents were very rich and bought her a flat for her eighteenth birthday. Also College and Sixthform are quite different. Sixthforms are generally connected to schools, and will be pretty much completely 16 - 18 year olds and focus on A Levels. Colleges offer a much wider range of subjects, often more vocational, and be a wider range of ages.

Jeffersonian Intern Gryffindor
    I See Dead People... In Mirrors
    What are ice cream trucks called in Britain, and what song do they play when they drive around? Wikipedia said they're ice cream vans and play "Greensleeves" (as opposed to the American "The Entertainer"), but I honestly have no clue if that's accurate or not. Oh, and any specific names of ice cream sold would help, too. *clueless*

I know it's a random question, but any answers would really help me out!
    Melissa

Super awesome banner by Ari / A.H.

apollo13
    Yeah, we call them Ice Cream Vans, but I don't think they play Greensleeves. I don't know what the actual tune is - how important is it to the story? Because you could just describe it as a "tinkling tune".

~Evie

Heather25x
    Yeah they are definitely called Ice Cream Vans and usually play either "Greensleeves" or "Pop Goes The Weasel" lol.

~Heather