Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Being British: Garden Gate, Number Eight

rita_skeeter

Being British: Garden Gate, Number Eight

Yes, that is Bingo Lingo in the title.

We have a lovely fresh thread to keep your questions/discussions going about all things British: customs, school, food, work, etc.

As usual, please remember that we do have a fair number of users who join us from the UK and Ireland on these boards, and we've had plenty of reponses from them in the past. Therefore, please could ONLY Brits answer things in here.

Make sure you're polite at all times - particularly if you're correcting/disagreeing with an answer some has posted previously. Remember we all make mistakes and deserve to be treated with respect.

Just as a final reminder - there is time difference for all of you living anywhere but in GMT zones, so do remember this when posting questions - you may have a while to wait before someone replies to your post. Be patient, please!

Discussions have been really good recently, so please do keep up the hard work.

The latest unanswered post:

Quote Originally Posted by eaglette with wheels
    How much does it snow on the coast? the north, not the south) see, Im in Canada and today there is currently 1.7 M of snow on the ground... I'm doing a fic about lupin, and I'm talking about snow whipping through his falling-apart house (basically) but I just realized that I have nooo idea how much/little it snows in Britain.

Sirius Girl 08
    Hello eaglette with wheels,

I live on the north east coast of Scotland and have done for the past 14/15 years. I can tell you that it use to snow a lot more than it does now - now it just rains.

Years ago I remember we had a really bad winter where we have 3-5 foot of snow I think over Christmas, and a few years ago it went as low as 27 degrees C (which is still a record for this part of the country) and then we had a couple of feet of snow too. Looking back over the years (before 2002 say) I would say it would be normal that at some point or other through the winter we would get a couple of feet of snow.

This winter we've not had very much snow at all - if we have had snow and it's settled then its only been a couple inches. Like I say snow isn't happening that often anymore - although a couple of years ago we got like a foot on snow on the 1st of May - what was that about?!

So I guess in answer to your question you could go with what ever amount of snowfall you want to have (especially if it is set a few years ago). However, I would suggest that you make it horizontal snow/rain - normally if it snows there is one heck of a wind with it which makes it come down nearly horizontally rather than vertically!

Hope that's of some help to you,

Ruth

Shev
    Which part of Scotland? Were you close to the border? I have a Scottish friend who lived in Glasgow for most of his life and assured me that he had never heard of such a thing, neither had the rest of his family.

~Evie
    Edinburgh. So it may be something that didn't filter over to the west. I suspect that given the early 90's is when Americanisms really started to filter in via kids TV and that's when I was at school, it most likely came from that source, rather than being anything used previously.

And snow in Scotland, well, as Sirius Girl 08 has said, it's hugely variable, like all our weather here. Despite having comparatively little snowfall at lower levels this year, it's been one of the best Scottish skiing seasons for many, many years.

Schmerg_The_Impaler
    Well, this is kind of a weird question, but extremely important to my story.

I know that the English equivalent of Broadway is West End, but what do you guys call an off-Broadway production/theatre? It's not community theatre or anything-- it's professional. It's just not Broadway.

In my story, one of the main subplots deals with the main character's best friend trying to break into show business and getting hired by two guys who have just come up with a new musical and trying to produce it off-Broadway. Well, do they call it off-Broadway, or something else?

apollo13
    I'm not really sure what you mean, Schmergo. We have West-end productions/musicals, or you can refer to the name of the company doing the production.

On snow, it really does depend on where you live. Scotland can have quite a lot of snow, but I live in the South East of England, which means that if there's about five centimeters of snow everyone panics, roads are shut, schools are shut and everyone mutters about global freezing. On the very coast it is unlikely to snow for two main reasons:

1) The ground is more damp from sea spray and usually more rain, it also has a lot more salt and is more acidic. This means snow does not settle.

2) The sea is actually its warmest during the winter months. It takes all summer to warm up, then all winter to cool down, which means the sea is really cold all year around, which means the coast is usually cold all year around.

Where is Remus during your story? What part of Britain?

~Evie

Schmerg_The_Impaler
    I'm not really sure what you mean, Schmergo. We have West-end productions/musicals, or you can refer to the name of the company doing the production.
    Like, on a theatre program, it might say, like, "Mustafah Hinkley-Kingston has performed in in regional, Broadway, and off-Broadway productions, including Hair, Grease, Cats, The Little Mermaid, and The King and I." (Please don't ask me where I got the name Mustafah Hinkley-Kingston, or that random selection of shows.) In American theatre, there are three distinct levels of professional theatre acting, and I wanted to know what the second tier-- off-Broadway in America-- is called in Britain, because Haley, the character, moves up from regional/dinner theatres to off-Broadway and eventually ends up on West End as a chorus member.

apollo13
    Um, we have regional, West-end, and things like amature (sp?) prodcutions.

There are various groups which tour the country and go to various theatres. I don't think there's a "second" stage, really, more lots of different stages. It really depends on how good you're theatre group is, and how well known you are. Eg, I am part of the Red Rose Chain, which does short films, Shakespear and productions. It is very good, and they've churned out quite a few proffesional actors. I used to be part of the Angel theatre, who did summer workshops and productions. They were rubbish, and only wanted money.

You could say that they were on the same level, as they are both theatre groups, but the are poles apart on quality.

~Evie

Lord Great Chamberlain
    I know that the English equivalent of Broadway is West End, but what do you guys call an off-Broadway production/theatre? It's not community theatre or anything-- it's professional. It's just not Broadway.
    If something isn't at a West End theatre, it's termed outside the West End, although anyone involved with such a performance is more likely to refer to 'touring' or 'going on tour', assuming of course, they're not a local based theatre group which doesn't tour, but often performs at a specific theatre in a town or city somewhere.

Outside of the West End isn't exactly "second tier", it may not have the pizazz of the West End or the ticket sales, but it's no means inferior. Recent examples of big West End plays to tour are The History Boys, The Importance of Being Earnest, 39 Steps, and Equus is currently touring (albeit not with the original cast).

At the moment, the climate of the West End is moving away from the straight play, musicals being preferred and making big money, aided by some reality TV shows to find the lead roles. I think 5 new musicals have opened in the last couple of years.

The Royal Shakespeare Company (RSC) also tour the country a lot, and they have some very good actors - David Tennant is doing Hamlet and King Lear this year.

The West End is expensive (probably because half the theatres are falling apart) and London is pretty expensive generally, so if you live in the north of the country or Scotland, you're looking at potentially 500 ($1000) for two people to travel down to London, stay overnight and see something in the West End.

I think touring is good for an actor, it offers challenges: a new stage, surroundings, regional audiences, being away from family and friends, outside of your comfort zone.

There's no official term for the theatres around the country, they're normally just called by name: Theatre Royal or the 'whatever' theatre. Informally, they're effectively regional theatres, varying in size from a few hundred seats to a couple thousand.

Fifth Year Gryffindor
    I See Dead People... In Mirrors
    I am in need of some assistance in British slang. In my current story Hermione gets hurt and she sayes "gawd it hurts" but I have seen a few people mention that Hermione/British would not say "Gawd". I need to know what they say instead. I've scoured several websites but nothing I have read sounds right. So instead of saying , 'Oh my gawd' what should I put .
    ~Kristy

Sirius Girl 08
    Hello,

Personnally I would say something like 'Jeepers that hurt!' or 'crap that hurts' or just a simple 'ow!' or 'ouch!' would do. Course if it was really bad then I might swear by accident but I try not to

Ruth