Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Quick N.E.W.T. question

Fifth Year Hufflepuff
    I See Dead People... In Mirrors

Quick N.E.W.T. question

I just have a quick question, and I hope this is all right. I'm writing a bit in my Marauder Era fic and I'm wondering what sort of potions you guys think Slughorn would have his seventh year class brew up a few months before the exams. Like, what would be a difficult enough potion for seventh years at that time? I'd like it to be a potion that will need to simmer, at least for a short while, to give my characters time to talk in between.

I think that's it... haha. Opinions are good and much appreciated. Thanks!

xox
    nikki
    "Through literacy you can begin to see the universe.
    Through music you can reach anybody.
    Between the two there is you, unstoppable."

--grace slick
    avvie: julia/the_opaleye

ms. leading
    Well I suppose they'd start doing more advanced things, like potions that would come in handy in dangerous situations. The lexicon has a list here http://www.hp-lexicon.info/magic/potions-enc.html

But there's heaps there, so maybe something liike a Blood-Replenishing Potion or Skele-Gro, I suppose they would be advanced and could be in the magical curriculum.

There isn't much information on the actual brewing of these potions, so I'm sure you could just make it up and say that they need to simmer.

Hope I've helped!
    ~ Cassie

Fifth Year Hufflepuff
    Cassie: Thanks for the bit of help. I actually already looked in the lexicon before I posted, like I always do, but there were just so many and they didn't necessarily say how hard they were. That's why I wanted to see some opinions from you guys. That Blood-Replenishing Potion could work, though... I'll think on it, but I would still love some more input.

Thanks!

xox
    nikki

--grace slick

Honigkuchenpferd Hufflepuff
    "Greetings From Egypt..."
    Nikki,

You could maybe let them brew Veritaserum. Sure, it was in the beginning of sixth year that they were talking about it, but why not let them try to brew it in seventh year? And since there is at least one antidote, you could also take this into account.

According to the lexicon (why not use the link that Cassie supplied? ) and from remembering the books, Snape told Umbridge that Veritaserum takes a moon-cycle for it to mature. I can imagine that an antidote to such a complex potion would be as difficult to be concocted as the potion it shall be working against.

I hope I could help you a bit. Good luck with your story.

~Bine
    No longer a mod and no longer in charge of any forums.

author ~*~ BA banner ~*~ giggler
    Banners by Tiffany and Samarie ^

Hermoine Jean Granger
    Here are a few suggestions:
    Amortentia: It is not mentioned that it needs to be simmered but it is pretty advanced stuff that Slughorn demonstrates in his first class.

Felix felicis: Too advanced, but it is not known if it needs to simmer either!!

An elixir to induce euphoria: Was brewed by Harry in his sixth year, does seem to take quite an amount of time!

I also think that it could be veritaserum(it needs a month to mature, not to brew, right?)

Hope that helped!!

Fifth Year Hufflepuff
    Bine: Veritaserium was the first one I thought about and looked up yesterday, but I dismissed it because of the whole moon cycle thing. Although, now that I think about it, I guess that doesn't really matter. An anitdote to it is a nice idea, though...

Any other suggestions? I think I want it to be something obscure, although I do like the two suggestions given here...

xox
    nikki

--grace slick

Wizengamot Ravenclaw
    You idiot! Always playing the Hero!
    Quote Originally Posted by luinrina
    You could maybe let them brew Veritaserum. Sure, it was in the beginning of sixth year that they were talking about it, but why not let them try to brew it in seventh year? And since there is at least one antidote, you could also take this into account.
    ~Bine

An antidote to Veritaserum might be a possibility, but I'm not too sure about the potion itself. Keep in mind that Veritaserum production is heavily monitored by the Ministry and use by any layperson would be met with extremem consiquence.

I'm not sure it's the kind of thing that would likely appear on an exam; even for N.E.W.T. students.

Brand New Story!

Banner by lullaby_BANG. Completely awesome avi came from here!

My brand new trailer for Snape Didn't Die by thegirllikeme to serve as a constant source of inspiration whilst I write!

Fifth Year Hufflepuff
    Oh, good point. I didn't even think about that. So Veritaserium is definitely out, then. But what about the antidote? Or the Bloody-Replenishing one? Or any other potions?

xox
    nikki

--grace slick

Kcharles
    I think that Blood-Replenishing would be a good one, because they are in a war so it would be useful. If I were you, that's what I would go with.

Honigkuchenpferd Hufflepuff
    "Greetings From Egypt..."
    Quote Originally Posted by OliveOil_Med
    An antidote to Veritaserum might be a possibility, but I'm not too sure about the potion itself. Keep in mind that Veritaserum production is heavily monitored by the Ministry and use by any layperson would be met with extremem consiquence.

I'm not sure it's the kind of thing that would likely appear on an exam; even for N.E.W.T. students.
    I read about the Ministry monitoring Veritaserum production, too.

Slughorn is a teacher though, and the students still kids. I don't believe that what students brew in the potions classes is really excellent stuff, except what Snape or Lily concoct since they both were masters in this branch, so there wouldn't be the danger of unauthorised people using Veritaserum outside Ministry regulations. And if Slughorn gets the go from the Ministry itself to have the brewing of Veritaserum included into the syllabus, why not give his students an interesting experience in trying to concoct probably one of the most difficult potions to brew?

And it might not be a part of the regular N.E.W.T. exams, but we're talking about Slughorn here. He always looked for the best, and with Snape and Lily among his students I believe he would at least have them try to concoct Veritaserum. It doesn't have to be perfect at the end. And since the trio had the potion introduced in their class, too, I can imagine that in the theoretical exam questions of how to brew Veritaserum might turn up.

Quote Originally Posted by Hermoine Jean Granger
    I also think that it could be veritaserum(it needs a month to mature, not to brew, right?)
    Right, the potion needs a month to mature, but who said it doesn't take some time to simmer in-between adding the various ingredients?
    No longer a mod and no longer in charge of any forums.

author ~*~ BA banner ~*~ giggler
    Banners by Tiffany and Samarie ^