Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Gilderoy Lockhart

sajomn
    I think that it is very safe to say that he would have seized his opportunity to stardom at a time like that. The public was reeling from Voldemort and stories of a “Hero” that swooped in and saved innocent people would have been very popular. In fact, because they wanted so badly to believe there was someone in the world that could rival the evil they had witnessed they may not have stopped to wonder if it could be true that one man did all that. Perhaps as time went on he became more of a symbol for what they wanted/needed and that is why so many failed to realise he couldn’t do what he claimed he had done.

We don't know his birthdate (that I could find anyway.) So I think it holds water.

Sara

Wizengamot Ravenclaw
    You idiot! Always playing the Hero!

Gilderoy Lockhart

I logged on today to find with complete shock that there is no longer a thread devoted to Gilderoy Lockhart. That needs to be fixed!

Bine: The thread was on page 5. I merged them now.

Something I wanted to bring up today are the recent internet talks that Lockhart was in Ravenclaw. I don't want to believe this is true (mainly because I don't think anyone wants Lockhart in their house), but I was wondering if anyone knows if J.K. herself has commented on this issue. Most of the reasoning seems to come from the evidence that in the second movie, Lockhart has a picture of himself in a Ravenclaw Quidditch uniform, (which obviously looks like it's been through wizard Photoshop) though I think we can all testify as to how faithful the movies were to the books.

I was just wondering if anyone knew of a quote or an interview from J.K. that let us know for sure. Like I said, I think this panic is coming from the place in my mind that just doesn't want my House to have anything to do with Lockhart.
    Last edited by luinrina; 08-27-2011 at 06:25 PM.

Brand New Story!

Banner by lullaby_BANG. Completely awesome avi came from here!

My brand new trailer for Snape Didn't Die by thegirllikeme to serve as a constant source of inspiration whilst I write!

TheCursedQuill
    The only place I saw that said he was in Ravenclaw was in HP Wiki. Which references the fact to the photo in the movie, so I don't think this can be trusted.

HP-Lexicon says nothing about his time at Hogwarts as a student, so my best guess is that JK has never said anything about it. The Lexicon usually uses her interviews for information.

In my opinion, Lockhart's personality would fit more into Slytherin. He goes to very great, and cruel, lenghths to achieve his goals. He's never demonstrated any Ravenclaw qualities, and the director probably chose to put him in Ravenclaw because Blue would go best with his eyes...

Hopefully this subject will be discussed on Pottermore!

-Sarah

LittleJM
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCursedQuill View Post
    In my opinion, Lockhart's personality would fit more into Slytherin. He goes to very great, and cruel, lenghths to achieve his goals. He's never demonstrated any Ravenclaw qualities, and the director probably chose to put him in Ravenclaw because Blue would go best with his eyes...
    One of the things I saw when reading the earlier parts of this thread were how Slytherin would suit his abilities... I would imagine that he'd be considered more of a pre-DH Neville Longbottom to the Slytherins at the time (quite an odd thing to think about...). Although I hardly consider his, er, interests "dark" by any means, it's completely plausible that this is where he learned to produce a very powerful Memory Charm.
    I better stop typing before a plot bunny starts to form...
    Too late.

Fourth Year Gryffindor
    Swallowing the Golden Snitch
    Huh I never realised it was never confirmed that he was in Ravenclaw!
    I think he's one of those people who doesn't really fit into any of the house as he's definitely not loyal, he is brave, he isn't exceptionally intelligent (although it could be argued that he was clever in the way that he made a living from other peoples achievements and made sure they never remembered) and I just don't think je would fit in Slytherin although he is pretty ambitious and cunning he still doesn't live up to the Slytherin's and would properly be teased all his time in that house.
    I think that he would be a hufflepuff because although they are known to be loyal and ahrd working Helga Hufflepuff also took in all the rest so he would most likely go in there.
    Just my thoughts
    ~ Abi~

This gorgeous banner is by TM_WandStick/Toni =)
    JOIN THE SBBC!
    ON HIATUS

Seventh Year Hufflepuff
    Bowing To Buckbeak
    Lockhart being in Ravenclaw isn't a recent internet talk lol. Gina (Gmariam of Ravenclaw) made a banner featuring him as a Ravenclaw, on his broomstick with the caption "Wit beyond measure, really ...", ages ago.

I understand why no one would want him in their house. I see him in Slytherin (like Sarah) because he's ambitious, cunning and won't stop at anything to get what he wants. I definitely do NOT see him in Hufflepuff; Helga's house requires a few prominent qualities, none of which Lockhart posseses. That Hufflepuff house takes in"leftovers" is in itself a testament to its most significant traits - accepting and fair. Lockhart isn't either.

Slytherin would suit him the best, but Ravenclaw - well. He's slow and ridiculous at times, but it would take brains to carry out the kind of mission he went on. He needed to research those witches and wizards, he needed to charm them, then he needed to write those books well enough to get publishers. (His face helped as well.) He was undeniably smart, though too full of himself to earn anyone's respect.

I now know of another Ravenclaw who fits into a similar category - Ravenclaw showing Slytherin tendencies, from Pottermore, but I won't spoil you.

~Natalie

Edit: Incidentally, there is a Professor Robert Lockhart who is "best known for his work as a cognitive psychologist especially in the areas of human memory and problem solving." Heehee.
    Last edited by hestiajones; 09-04-2011 at 03:15 PM.
    ]

Banner by BELLA THE HELLA. <3

Fourth Year Gryffindor
    Swallowing the Golden Snitch
    I can see his Slytherin qualities but I disagree with you when you say that only accepting and fair people go into Hufflepuff, I mean Zacharias Smith isn't either of those!
    I just can't see him a a Slytherin, I don't know why I just can't. I think that his cunning and ambitious qualities came out after the sorting and later on in his time at Hogwarts or maybe even after that and there for wouldn't be prominent traits that the hat would sort him on.
    I just wanted to know is it mentioned in canon that he was on the Quidditch team?
    ~Abi~

This gorgeous banner is by TM_WandStick/Toni =)
    JOIN THE SBBC!
    ON HIATUS

laceymoibella
    "That Hufflepuff house takes in"leftovers" is in itself a testament to its most significant traits - accepting and fair."
    This is where the debate comes in about the Hufflepuff house because I don't honestly see how it can be considered the house that takes 'leftovers.'

Some of the traits exhibited in Hufflepuff are hard-working, non-judgemental, honesty and loyalty. Each person in Hufflepuff is there not as a 'leftover' but because they truly belong there since one or more of those traits is more dominant in their nature. That doesn't mean they exhibit all the traits which the house stands for though.

Now that being said, Lockhart could have fit into the Puff house. How?

He worked hard to keep up appearances. Which could go hand in hand with the ambitious Slytherin house but because he had to work hard at it, it could sway him to the Puff side.

And he was loyal - to himself - but loyal all the same. This, too, can be associated as Slytherin because they look out for themselves.

He was accepting as well. I don't believe we see a time in the book where he looks down at anyone because they are muggle or half blood. He certainly didn't mind having photos of himself taken with anyone so this could put him into Hufflepuff, too.

LittleJM
    Quote Originally Posted by laceymoibella View Post
    Some of the traits exhibited in Hufflepuff are hard-working, non-judgemental, honesty and loyalty. Each person in Hufflepuff is there not as a 'leftover' but because they truly belong there since one or more of those traits is more dominant in their nature. That doesn't mean they exhibit all the traits which the house stands for though.
    I have to agree with that, given all of the HP characters that we see who don't show every single trait related to their House. Also, I agree with the earlier post that has him leaning towards Ravenclaw. He is highly intelligent, but who's to say that Slytherins aren't? In my opinion, there is a very fine line between Slytherin and Ravenclaw. One of the big things, that I can see, is that Slytherins want to gain knowledge to use it (and that's not always a bad thing); Ravenclaws appear to want to find it (mostly) for the sake of learning.
    However, what I was thinking to back up my reasoning was more along the lines of Professor Slughorn. He wanted to surround himself with the elite and when we first meet him in HBP, he immediately name-drops, even to Dumbledore and Harry. He was Head of Slytherin there for awhile. Lockhart, as it seems, was just a very arrogant and tricky version of Slughorn.

Seventh Year Hufflepuff
    Am I in the Right House?
    Quote Originally Posted by crazy717 View Post
    I just wanted to know is it mentioned in canon that he was on the Quidditch team?
    ~Abi~
    I don't have my copy of CoS handy, unfortunately. I rather doubt that he was - he doesn't seem like the athletic type. He also doesn't seem like he would be good at teamwork. He likes the limelight too much. Maybe he played Seeker, if he played at all.
    Stories Duels Poems Drabbles
    Proud Puff on MNFF and Slyth on Pottermore

Banner by the awesome Minnabird Icon by wicked visions on LJ