Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Gilderoy Lockhart

Wizengamot Ravenclaw
    You idiot! Always playing the Hero!
    and he wasn't caring enough to be a Hufflepuff.
    Yes, but don't forget, Helga Hufflepuff also made a point of taking in students who didn't seem to fit in anywhere else. And we all agree that Lockhart wasn't very brave, intellegent, or cunning (even though he may have developed some of these characteristics later in life).

Sure, a lot of Hufflepuffs tend to be hardworking and loyal, but that may actually stem from their sorting itslef, not thst the charaterists were dominant in their personalities. Maybe because all the other students believe they just weren't good enough to get into any other house, they just work all the harder to prove they are worthy of the school. And because they are all going through it together, the Hufflepuffs would certainly be very loyal to their own.

But personally, I do think Lockhart was a Hufflepuff back in his school days, a lot because most people just can't seem to find the qualities to place him anywhere else.

Of course, we all just may be arguing because none of us want to admit he could have come from our house.

Brand New Story!

Banner by lullaby_BANG. Completely awesome avi came from here!

My brand new trailer for Snape Didn't Die by thegirllikeme to serve as a constant source of inspiration whilst I write!

Second Year Ravenclaw
    Setting Snakes on Hapless Relatives

I'm actually gonna go ahead and steal my own post from over at MNI:

Personally, I see Gilderoy as a Slytherin. Now, I know I can't use 'selfish' and the like to qualify that, and I wasn't going to, since those aren't traits that'll automatically get you Sorted there. But cunning and ambition are, and he's got to be one of the most ambitious characters out there, even if his motivation is dubious. I believe it was said that Slyths 'will use any means to achieve their ends'? Most people would be appalled at themselves for even letting the thought of doing something like what he did cross their minds. But he ran with it. He wanted fame so badly that he was willing to steal people's stories and erase their memories to get it. Look at the Chamber incident, even. He was willing to let an eleven-year-old girl die so he could look like a hero.

If that's not one of the most extreme cases of textbook Slytherin ambition and Machiavellian philosophy, I'll eat my hat.

Although, rather, now I'm thinking there's a marginal possibility that he could have been a Gryffindor, rather in the vein of Peter Pettigrew. Brave, daring, chivalrous? His innate charm covers chivalry rather well, and as for the other two... well, what he does is a rather dangerous undertaking, don't you think? It'd take nerves of steel, I think, to be able to face the world every day - with a big bright smile, no less - lying to everyone around you, knowing that at any given time if you slip up or someone starts getting wise, you'd be ruined... and keep doing it anyway. This man does not flirt with danger; he courts it, gets it drunk, and takes it home with him every night.

I can't see him as Ravenclaw, because certainly he'd have been better [or sought out to be] at more than just memory charms if that were the case, though I suppose he was rather eager enough to learn all the background on his supposed feats, if only for the sake of looking realistic. Hufflepuff strikes me as being very off, too; I suppose you could construe his devotion to keeping up his image as loyalty and working hard, but I'm not sold. And because I've found in stories, for a fair amount of those that put him there, it kind of seems like 'haha, Lockhart's a dunderhead, let's put him in the reject House with the other dunderheads.' Puffs aren't stupid. [Neither is Lockhart, for that matter.]

So, in true tl;dr fashion, I think he could either be a textbook Slyth or an unorthoodox Gryff.

~t.d.c
    [CENTER]
    banner by eternalangel <3

Warning: The following contains an overdose of underloved characters.

My Works: Enchanted | Desperate Measures | Puberty (or, At Least I Don't Have To...) | Duel | Drabbles

Sixth Year Slytherin
    De-gnoming the Garden

Quote Originally Posted by OliveOil_Med
    Yes, but don't forget, Helga Hufflepuff also made a point of taking in students who didn't seem to fit in anywhere else. And we all agree that Lockhart wasn't very brave, intelligent, or cunning (even though he may have developed some of these characteristics later in life).
    You know, when you put it that way, you make a point.

I'm sure any adult reading this could testify to the fact that who we are now is a far cry from who we were when we were kids. Lord knows, if I had taken the sorting quiz when I was 12 or 13 then I could see myself being put inHufflepuff. I wasn't that brave then, nor that smart, but not as ruthless either.

But I had yet to experience the hardships and responsibilities that life gives....hence why I am a Slyth now.

The same could be said for Lockahart. In essence, we shouldn't be judging his house placement based upon his actions in his adult life. We should view him as who he was when he was a kid, before fame went to his head. Cause fame can change a person.

Considering that he wasn't brave or intelligent as an adult, then he couldn't have been too brave or intelligent when he was a child. If you haven't broken out of certain habits or mindsets by the time you reach adulthood, then it carries with you into your adult life. So Gryffindor and Ravenclaw is out. His cunning would have developed later as the book deals were coming in. So he wouldn't have been a Slyth either.

Hufflepuff would be his best fit then. Considering how he had become this famous author, I'm sure writing had been one of his aspirations as a kid. But we know how tough writing can be. I just think he took the easy way out by using other people's experiences since he had no muse of his own to make a story. But he still had to take those interviews and create a best seller from those experiences. That's still a lot of hard work. That like walking into the forum's adoption center, taking someone elses plot bunny, and reworking a better fic from it. It's still hard work even if you're using someone elses stuff. Yet Lockhart put in that time and effort into making his stories as an adult. So that's a quality that had to have been carried over when he was a kid.

So Hufflepuff for Lockhart.
    M.R.S.

Wizengamot Ravenclaw
    You idiot! Always playing the Hero!
    Another thing, let's not forget what a tremendous fan Mrs. Weasley (and lots of other Gryffindor witches) were of Lockhart. And we can all agree that in JK's world, Gryffindor's hate Slytherins on general principal. I doubt a Gryffindor witch would have even picked up one of Lockhart's books if they knew he had been a Slytherin.

Remember, that Molly consulted Lockhart's advise on near everything (his word wad gospel). I doubt she would have taken his word for anything if he was a Slytherin. They aren't exactly the most trustworthy bunch of people.

And, no offence Puffs, but most people don't associate the house of Hufflepuff with doing anything sneaky or underhanded.

Brand New Story!

Banner by lullaby_BANG. Completely awesome avi came from here!

My brand new trailer for Snape Didn't Die by thegirllikeme to serve as a constant source of inspiration whilst I write!

Ravenclaws_Heir
    Another interesting character!

Do you think his vanity is just over-insecurity?
    There's a good chance that it was, but let's not forget that he was pressing Harry, Ron, and Hermione to ask for an autograph in OOTP. And that was with his mind wiped! Surely having his memory erased with Ron's wand (which was broken at the time) would have made him forget any insecure feelings he may or may not have had.

Do you think he knew in COS that the teachers hated him?
    I personally think that Lockhart was vain enough to believe that the other teachers were jealous of him. And if he didn't think that, he was more than likely oblivious of the fact that none of his coleagues (sp?) could stand him.

What house do you think he was in when he was at Hogwarts?
    That is an interesting question because at first glance, Lockhart doesn't appear to fit into any of the four houses. He certainly isn't brave, nor is he very intellegent. He's loyal only to himself and is far too pompous to be called a Hufflepuff. And I don't think he was a Pureblood. But when you actually dig into his character and pay attention to what he says and does, you realize that Slytherin best suits him. Let's not forget he was ready and willing to wipe the memory of the Boy Who Lived and his best friend in a moment of danger. This shows that he was willing to do anything to protect his secret, which turned out to be that he was a nobody who took credit for other wizards' achievements. Quite cunning, I must say. Though he must have kept it on the down low, or else some people (like Molly Weasley) might not have bought his books.

We know he's good at Memory Charms (oh, the irony!) but does he have any other talents?
    Lying and deceit are his game and using his "charm" (and I use the term loosely ) to try and outwit and overshadow everyone are the rules.

At school, do you think he would be popular or a bit of a joke?
    If I am correct in saying he was a Slytherin, then his peers might have respected him in some way because of his ambition. As a student, me must have wanted to pursue some career in writing and would have done anything to make it happen. However, to the rest of Hogwarts (and the intellegent world) he's a joke.

lupins_girl2006
    And, no offence Puffs, but most people don't associate the house of Hufflepuff with doing anything sneaky or underhanded.
    Niether do I. Hufflepuff really isn't a sneaky house.

Another thing, let's not forget what a tremendous fan Mrs. Weasley (and lots of other Gryffindor witches) were of Lockhart. And we can all agree that in JK's world, Gryffindor's hate Slytherins on general principal. I doubt a Gryffindor witch would have even picked up one of Lockhart's books if they knew he had been a Slytherin.

Remember, that Molly consulted Lockhart's advise on near everything (his word wad gospel). I doubt she would have taken his word for anything if he was a Slytherin. They aren't exactly the most trustworthy bunch of people.
    I'm pretty sure any witch that thought him to be handsome would have admire him. And that part about Slytherin and Gryffindors not picking up the book or what ever, I'm pretty sure he wasn't well known in school because no one knew who he was until he came out with his first book that had a picture of him on it. So basically I'm pretty sure she wouldn't have known who he was. Which leads me to a question of my own:

Does anybody have an idea of how old he was in the second book? It's been bugging me quite a bit and I would like to know if I could fit him into my story (of which the first chappie is in the queue). My story takes place in the past and I wanna see if he could pop up as a student at some point.

~Allie

Inverarity
    Quote Originally Posted by lupins_girl2006
    Does anybody have an idea of how old he was in the second book? It's been bugging me quite a bit and I would like to know if I could fit him into my story (of which the first chappie is in the queue). My story takes place in the past and I wanna see if he could pop up as a student at some point.
    They never said. But I would say he's either several years older or several years younger than Molly Weasley, since otherwise you'd think she'd have mentioned it (when she was fawning over him with all the other middle-aged witches ) if they'd been at Hogwarts at the same time.

lupins_girl2006
    Thanks. He'll probably make an appearance no matter what. *shrugs*

~Allie *huggles*

Wizengamot Hufflepuff
    Kill the Spare
    Hello

Does anybody have an idea of how old he was in the second book? It's been bugging me quite a bit and I would like to know if I could fit him into my story (of which the first chappie is in the queue). My story takes place in the past and I wanna see if he could pop up as a student at some point

I mentioned Lockhart in passing in one of my drabbles and had him starting Hogwarts in 1965. I figured that put him 6 years older than the Marauders but a little bit younger than Molly. If he were much older than Molly and Arthur then I can't see him having the younger Hogwarts students fawning over him.

As to his house- I always thought about Slytherin because he is very cunning and ambitious or Hufflepuff- but only because he doesn't have any of the qualities that would sort him into Gryff or R/Claw. As for sneaky Hufflepuffs we seem to be forgetting the loathsome Zacharius Smith who high-tailed it out of Hogwarts - ahead of the first years!- just before the Battle of Hogwarts. Given that I'm a 'Puff I try my hardest to forget about him too and concentrate on Cedric or Tonks

Something else I did think was that maybe the Hat suggested Slyth but he refused because he thought it would mean him having to put too much effort in so he ended up in Hufflepuff. Or maybe his blood-line meant they couldn't accept him, so a Muggle born or a Sqib parent say.

Carole
    I'm a BARMAID. I write. I drabble. I duel. I poet. I'm a BADGER!!!

Banner by minnabird

Inverarity
    I have to cast my vote for Lockhart being a Gryffindor. He's arrogant, vainglorious, and a publicity-hound. And he had to have some Gryffindor traits, to go hunting all those Dark creatures in the first place, even if he did wind up taking credit for what other people did. We saw him behaving in a cowardly manner in the end, but let's not forget, not all Gryffindors have limitless courage, and some never overcome their fears. Neville spent most of his school years terrified of Snape. And Peter Pettigrew, anyone? So turning out to be a coward when the chips are down doesn't mean someone can't be a Gryffindor.

Lockhart is like a caricature of all the worst Gryffindor traits.

I also agree that given the anti-Slytherin prejudice of the wizarding world, especially among the Weasleys, Molly would not likely be fawning over a Slytherin.