Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Vampires

vampitude
    Since vampires are barely introduced in the Harry Potter series, you have basically free reign. I agree with what people are saying about J.K. Rowling sticking to mythology a lot in her books, but you can probably add your own little twists. All I have to say is stick with what the books say and don't blindly follow any other book or myth. Make your story original!

A vampire was introduced once in the 6th book at one of Slughorn's parties. Although the vampire wasn't on some rampage for blood, he didn't seem unwilling to attack people. Maybe that was because he was more used to human contact, I don't know. Most of this is up to you to decide.

Hope this helped somewhat.

Rose

Emmeline Riddle
    A lot of fiction seems to portray vampires as immortal (until a steak is driven through their heart), or at least non-aging. Do you think this concept would play into the Potterverse at all?
    I can’t see any reason that an immortal being would be a problem in the HP world, strange and amazing creatures are pretty much the norm!

Do vampires have to register with the Ministry like werewolves do? Can anyone see Hermione arguing as passionately for vampire rights as she did for house elves and werewolves?
    I don’t imagine that the vampires would be as easy to control as werewolves. Yes, there are the dangerous ones like Fenrir, but the vast majority of werewolves, decent ones like Remus, would be perfectly safe to approach/ interrogate/ monitor all but a few nights a month. Vampires, on the other hand, are never going to be that sociable to some walking meal trying to read them the “dos and don’ts” of the wizarding world.

Does anyone see a possibility of a Ministry program to provide vampire with donated blood for food so they wouldn't hunt people (like the Clean Needle Program)?
    Wizards probably aren’t going to care enough about creatures like vampires to go to all that trouble. Look at werewolves, who live normal lives for most of the time, and how long it took for the Wolfsbane potion to be created. It’s a sad fact, but a true one, I think.

We know that vampire are not sold wands, but if one came into their possession some other way, would they be able to use it?
    Surly the vampire would have to have natural magical skills to be able to do this, just like any other person? If they have magical blood, or used to be a witch or wizard before their being bitten, then they very probably could be able to use a wand. If vampires breed (do they?), and are born as such (as vampires) there might even be vampire versions of Muggleborns, this giving them their magical abilities. (‘Vampireborns’... I’m gonna be thinking about that one for a while...)

Do vampires have a place in wizard society? Would they be able to work alongside wizards, say in the Ministry, or would they be social outcasts like werewolves?
    We’ve seen only a handful of vampires in the books, the only one I can think of by name is Sanguini. He was at Slughorn’s party in HBP which I suppose is an acceptance, but this was an informal setting, and everyone seemed quite wary of him. I think the constant level of danger they present might keep them out of the day to day running of the wizarding world (the day to day thing would be a problem in itself!).

There are potions to control werewolves when they transform? Do you think there may be a potion to stop vampires from biting?
    This one is again about the amount of time wizards are shown to spend caring about and helping other kinds of magical beings. Wolfsbane was a long time coming, and I think a similar cure for vampires would take even longer for someone to bother with.

Aaaand...
    I like Enneirda’s thoughts about vampires thinking themselves above wizards, and certainly above werewolves. Maybe they wouldn’t be interested in any of the above?

All written with my books 200 miles away at Uni so please forgive me for any complete mess ups in there!

Wizengamot Ravenclaw
    You idiot! Always playing the Hero!
    Quote Originally Posted by Emmeline Riddle
    If vampires breed (do they?), and are born as such (as vampires) there might even be vampire versions of Muggleborns, this giving them their magical abilities. (‘Vampireborns’... I’m gonna be thinking about that one for a while...)

This does raise a few more questions in my mind. Are vampires capible of breeding? If so, then how would the whole conept of immortality play in? Baby vampires screaming their heads off for all eturnity; it just doesn't sound very appealing. More than likely, I believe vampires are created solely through bites.

But even given this, the question remains: are vampires capible of breeding? And...everything that goes with it?

House quote: "I'm trying to be descrete. There's a child in the room."

Brand New Story!

Banner by lullaby_BANG. Completely awesome avi came from here!

My brand new trailer for Snape Didn't Die by thegirllikeme to serve as a constant source of inspiration whilst I write!

hermione_granger4life
    Are vampires capible of breeding?
    This one could really go either way. If you want to go with the more popularized Stephenie Meyer way, then no, they cannot breed. I tend to lean towards the no. Only because vampires are known as the 'living dead.' Technically, their bodies are medically dead. Their major organs, with the exception of the brain of course, are dead and not in working order ((in my own opinion.)) It's kind of like how vampires can drink blood but can't eat human food without being uncomfortable. If their body and major organs were "technically" dead, then other bodily functions that would be needed to breed and produce an heir would be, technically, unavailable....lol. Im trying to keep it G rated here so I hope you get the gist of it. I could do a little research or something and pm it to you if you'd like. I, myself, could go on talking about vampire stuff like this for ages so if you have any other questions I'd be happy to go over pm with you as well.

If so, then how would the whole conept of immortality play in? Baby vampires screaming their heads off for all eternity; it just doesn't sound very appealing. More than likely, I believe vampires are created solely through bites.

I honestly don't know how you could work the concept of immortality into the story if the vampires could breed. Like you said, baby vampires screaming their heads off for all eternity....A.)I have a feeling the parents of sad screaming baby vamp would go a little off their nutter, a few sandwiches short of a picnic so to say, so I have a feeling they would...want to dispose of the baby vamp after afew decades of screaming...lol And B.) If they COULD breed and have children, they would have to be constantly moving if they were hiding the fact that they were a vampire. I have a feeling the neighbors would notice if a baby stayed a baby for seveal years...lol.

I too believe they are created solely through bites from other vampires.

But even given this, the question remains: are vampires capible of breeding? And...everything that goes with it?

The actual breeding part, where a child is produced I would say a no to tht one....the 'everything that goes with it' part ((nice way of putting it...lol)) I think...well, they would 'technically' be able to do that part but, not entirely...does that make any sense? Lol...once again, I can answer this one through pm's if you'd like. As I said before, I'm trying to keep it G rated...lol.

**Emma

AurorKeefy
    As ever, when talking about vampires, I prefer to trace most of my sources back to the Role Playing Game: Vampire: The Masquerade, which to my mind has published the largest continuous set on notes on Kindred culture, and is delightful in the manner in which it both bases itself upon, before twisting, pulling and defying other literary concepts of the creatures. The Vampire: The Masquerade series of books have now been discontinued, and replaced with other updated editions I am unfamiliar with. For that reason, I have little moral issue with aquiring pdfs of them off the internet. The law probably feels slightly differently, however, so use your own descretion in obtaining the core references here (of which the core rulebook is by far the best). A further warning to point out that if the content was on the site here, it would probably be rated Professors. Needless to say, my summaries won't.

Everything hereonin is my opinion, rather than fact. If you didn't realise that, then you probably need to put down the fantasy books.

But my question is, how would a wizard kill a vampire?

A stake through the heart paralyses the unfortunate subject, but does not kill it. Vampires can be staked in their coffins and remain in an utterly decrepid state, until many (thousands) of years later, some intrepid fool looks at the corpse, and then pulls out the stake. In a few moments, a very, very hungry vampire pops her head up.

Fire kills just about everything. This includes vampires. A vampire would die in a fire at a normal human rate.

Sunlight kills Vampires. To me, this and the need to drink blood are the two defining elements of Vampirism. Discount this, and you might as well create a new creature entirely. Sunlight would cause severe burns. An old vampire in thick clothing getting hit by a beam of dawn's rays through a curtain might live to tell the tale. Any vampire caught uncovered in the midday sun is going to their final demise.

Complete decapitation. This can be judged to kill most things. This would include most Vampires. A very, very select few might be able to pull themselves back together after this, but there could not be more than two or three such individuals on the planet, and they are likely to be twisted by their own Vampirism and Dark Arts beyond normal means.

Explosive weaponry. Vampires regenerate, though to a lesser extent than werewolves. When damage reaches severe levels, damage is done at levels beyond regeneration. Grenades, rockets, bombs are likely to put most Kindred down for good. Tougher ones may survive, partly through magic. Nukes, on the other hand, are death all over, no matter who. The twentieth-century has been something of a set-back for Vampires.

Things that don't kill Vampires

Avada Kedavra wouldn't kill Kindred. It snuffs out traditional life, not undeath. Hence Voldemort's body dies, but the twisted realms of soul survive.

Garlic. I think we're talking allergy at best. Besides which, have you ever tried sneaking garlic into someone's diet? Er...

Churchs, Holy Water, etc: Depends upon the Vampire, I guess. Maybe those phobic of faith would suffer psychosomatic injuries through these mediums. Generally though, no. Without immense gothic castles to hang out in, the next best bet is churches.

Expand from there.

Would the vampires have joined You-Know-Who?

Quote Originally Posted by Enneirda
    I don't know, it seems to me that the Vampires would think they were too good for Voldemort, and his offer would insult them. They come off as pompous and a little too proud to me. Also, it's known that Voldemort asks the werewolves to join him. Vampires and werewolves don't get along so well, so I don't think the Vampires would join the same side as the wolves.
    Short, sweet and to the point. I agree with all points completely.

A lot of fiction seems to portray vampires as immortal (until a steak is driven through their heart), or at least non-aging. Do you think this concept would play into the Potterverse at all?

Vampires don't age. When bitten as a child, they are forever a child. Vampires can't be born; whatever Blade says. They awake each night exactly as they did when they first woke as a Vampire (which is why most knowing recipients tend to shave first). Yes, this can play into Potterverse.

Does a simple bite make one a vampire, or is there more to it than that?

I like the theory that to make a Vampire, a Vampire must drain all blood from her victim, and then refill their empty vessels with some of her own blood. Alas that it is not an exact science!

...oh, go on then!

Blood drips onto paper like a snare drum. Rat - tat - tat it goes. I'm using those drops the same way I used to use my heartbeat, as a way to count out a few seconds when I'm trying to be calm. But my heart doesn't beat any more, so I need to find something else to use.

Right now, it's the sound of my blood dripping from my girlfriend's mouth onto the newspaper on the floor. She's supposed to be swallowing it, drinking it annd letting it turn her into a vampire so we can be together. But nothing's happening. I don't know why.

I did it the way Riki told me you have to do it. I took all of her blood first, then I cut my wrist open and let everything drizzle into her mouth the way she used to drizzle chocolate syrup onto her ice cream. Then I sat down and I waited for her to open her eyes again.

That was an hour ago. It's not supposed to take that long. The blood keeps dripping out of her mouth and I keep putting more in. And it's not working. The sun's coming up, and it's not working, and the blood keeps spilling on the floor. Honey, you've got to drink. Please drink, honey. Don't be dead. Please. Don't be dead.
    -pg. 199, Core Rulebook: Vampire the Masquerade

...anyway...

Do vampires have to register with the Minestry like werewolves do? Can anyone see Hermione arguing as passionatly for vampire rights as she did for house elves and werewolves?

No. Werewolves are generally wizards who have become afflicted with a disease, but remain wizards most of the time. Vampires are always Vampires, and the few wizards who become Vampires lose more than their social status. These are proud creatures, whose power rivals/exceeds that of wizards. They would not stand for it. People like whatshisface at Slughorn's party are rare indeed. Most don't bother with, or stand for, the company of wizards.

Hermione would doubtless recognise this, I'm fairly sure she says something similar for Goblins.

We know that vampire are not sold wands, but if one came into their possestion some other way, would they be able to use it?

Nope. Vampire magic and wizarding magic are completely seperate. Wizards who become vampires lose their wizarding magic, and would have to start from scratch (presumeably with a base aptitude) with Vampire Magic. Such magic is rare amongst Vampires, but those who posess it are powerful indeed. But they don't use wands. Some Vampire scholars might want to study them though.

Do vampires have a place in wizard society? Would they be able to work alongside wizards, say in the Ministry, or would they be social outcasts like werewolves?

Vampires are - relatively - too numerous to be social outcasts like werewolves, and too proud. There is no place for Vampires as a whole, the whole feeding thing is likely to be a bit severe for most wizards. Perhaps a handful of exceptions, who would face extreme prejudice.

There are potions to controll werewolves when they transform? Do you think there may be a potion to stop vampires from biting?

Some form of willpower potion? Unfortunately, if they don't bite and drink, they die, so it's going to take more than a potion. For the love of god, though, please don't be tempted to find a potion they can take instead of blood. Do that, and you've just created an army of fanged Mary-Sues.

Do vampires need to drink human blood to survive?

No, most forms of blood will do. Human blood (and specifically muggle blood) is the most potent per drop, however. Some might live on rats, cows, goblins or wizards, but generally its muggles. The only exceptions to this rule are the fae creatures, such as faeries, daemons, and, for slightly different reasons, Unicorns. Whether House-Elves count as Fae is debateable. I'd say not.

Would they be able to tell the difference between human blood and animal blood; even if the animal were diguised as a human?

Depends upon the Vampire. Most people here wouldn't be able to distinguish between the taste of Spanish beer and Belgian beer, but I certainly could - having had years of necessary experience. The more experience, the greater the ability to discern. I fledgeling probably won't notice the difference between human blood and that of most large, healthy animals. An ancient creature of more than a thousand years could probably tell by scent from several miles away.

Are vampires capible of breeding?

No. I'm presently censoring the detailed explanations as to why, but it's there, and I'm not frightened of the points deductions if this point in pursued. j/k

Wizengamot Ravenclaw
    You idiot! Always playing the Hero!
    I'm curious; do the books mention any spells or charms that would kill a vampire? I assume that the basic mythological methods of killing (garlic, holy water, crosses, stakes through the heart) all work too, but you have to wonder if wizards have created a spell that could defeat them much more easily.

Would the Patronus charm have any effect on a vampire? In a story I'm working on, I created a charm called the Solaris Charm that gathers any available natural sunlight into a highly consentrated beam and is then fired at the vampire. It seems a pretty common consensis that vampires cannot survive sunlight, but I wonder if J.K. has already created something similar to that.

Any imput or ideas? ThanX!

Brand New Story!

Banner by lullaby_BANG. Completely awesome avi came from here!

My brand new trailer for Snape Didn't Die by thegirllikeme to serve as a constant source of inspiration whilst I write!

Hermoine Jean Granger
    Though JKR has not mentioned anything akin to a Solaris charm, she has said that fire works against Inferi (When dumbledore and Harry are in the cave in HBP). It may work against vampires too( I guess!!).