Thread: Vampires

Hybrid View

Lyratearsx

Vampires

So I checked Lexicon and found out the following about vampires (link):

1. They are studied in DADA but not considered wizards.

2. The vampire Harry meets at Slughorn's party is described as pale and gaunt.

3. They are hated and feared by many.

4. There are vampire hunters.

5. Centuars oppose them.

6. Garlic is used against them.

But my question is, how would a wizard kill a vampire?

Would the vampires have joined You-Know-Who?

Thanks!

dancing_in_moon_pools
    I think some of the Vampires would have joined Voldemort, because they love killing and torturing people. So he'd definitely ask them, and the more vicious ones would probably say yes.
    I don't know how they'd be killed, like I don't know if you've read the Twilight Series, but you should at least know its all about Vampires, and that they have to be ripped to shreds then burnt.
    I hope I could have helped!
    -Sunny.

clumsywerewolf2438
    Well, according to myths, Vampires usually have to be killed by driving a wooden stake through their heart, and since HP seems to follow mythology rather acurately, I would assume that's how HP vampires would be killed.

Hope this helped.

Gorgeous_Ginny
    Hi

I had a thread similar to this up recently so if you find it helpful I would look in the the grave yards and see if its there I think it is under questions!. However I was told that you basically have free range with Vampires really, so you can do whatever you want however I would use some mythical site to help you and do as much research as you can!

Hope that helped

Hannah

hermione_granger4life
    You could use a wide variety of ways to kill vampires depending on which stories/legends/myths you research. I do believe the most popularized methods are the wooden stake through the heart as seen in Buffy the Vampire Slayer and Twilight method of ripping them apart and burning them.

A few weeks back I actually did a lot of research on vampires for a novel I'm writing and I found this website very helpful with the history and it just helped give me a better overall knowledge about them and their past. It has a lot about the folk beliefs and individual sections on both creating, identifying, and protecting yourself against them. It has more of the folk legends and whanot but it's still very helpful.

I just now did a search and this website came up; it's all about various methods of killing a vampire as seen in past legends. It has explanations for methods such as sunlight, crucifix, stakes, garlic, holy water, fire, silver, and decapatation or beheading. It has a small little paragraph explaining kind of why each method works.

Hopefully those two things will be helpful to you and your story. Good luck and if you need more help with any of it ((I've been researching vampires for my book for a few months now)) my pms are always open

**Emma

Enneirda
    I don't think the vampires would have joined the ranks of You-Know-Who. I think they'd stay out of it, even if Voldemort asked.

I don't know, it seems to me that the Vampires would think they were too good for Voldemort, and his offer would insult them. They come off as pompous and a little too proud to me. Also, it's known that Voldemort asks the werewolves to join him. Vampires and werewolves don't get along so well, so I don't think the Vampires would join the same side as the wolves.

As for killing a vampire, I would think the Harry Potter universe would use the traditional ways of stakes and the crucifix [although, I don't think the latter would matter very much in the Wizarding World].

Hoped I helped some... :]
    -E

Fourth Year Hufflepuff
    McGonagall Likes My Quidditch Skills
    As Emma mentioned, wikipedia does have a plethora of information regarding the killing of vampires and their orgins. And as everyone has mentioned, JKR would most likely be set in the traditional ways of killing a vampire rather than the modern adaption. However, I think the sure fire way to kill a vampire would be one of four ways: fire, stake, sun, and beheading. Holy water and crucfixes would only damage or hurt a vampire and not necessarily kill them, but it would slow them down.

About Voldemort, I feel that most of them wouldn't have bothered with the affair. There wasn't much to gain, and they would only join to up themselves in the Ministry's eyes. I feel like their werewolves: Fenrir was on Voldemort's side; Remus was on Dumbledore's. There could have easily been that division, but as Enneirda mentioned, their arrogance most likely would have kept them out of the fight. There wasn't much for them to gain, and being bound by nighttime hours, they could have easily been suspectible to betrayal.

<321 jessica

currently chasin' paper
    $$$

Lyratearsx
    Wow! Thanks so much!

You lot have really helped me!

From what you've said, I think that maybe some of the vampires might join Voldemort (sorry I wrote You-Know-Who before, but in my WIP that's what he's reffered to and it's become a habit) but there will be others who would not want to. I also think the Twilight way of killing them is unique to that book.

The links were really helpful!

Thank you so much!

Lyra

Wizengamot Ravenclaw
    You idiot! Always playing the Hero!
    I'm glad all your vampire questions were answered. Now I hope you don't mind if I mouch off your thread and add a few ponderings of my own.

A lot of fiction seems to portray vampires as immortal (until a steak is driven through their heart), or at least non-aging. Do you think this concept would play into the Potterverse at all?

Does a simple bite make one a vampire, or is there more to it than that?

Do vampires have to register with the Minestry like werewolves do? Can anyone see Hermione arguing as passionatly for vampire rights as she did for house elves and werewolves?

Does anyone see a possibility of a Ministry program to provide vampire with donated blood for food so they wouldn't hunt people (like the Clean Needle Program)?

We know that vampire are not sold wands, but if one came into their possestion some other way, would they be able to use it?

Do vampires have a place in wizard society? Would they be able to work alongside wizards, say in the Ministry, or would they be social outcasts like werewolves?

There are potions to controll werewolves when they transform? Do you think there may be a potion to stop vampires from biting?

Brand New Story!

Banner by lullaby_BANG. Completely awesome avi came from here!

My brand new trailer for Snape Didn't Die by thegirllikeme to serve as a constant source of inspiration whilst I write!

Kcharles
    A lot of fiction seems to portray vampires as immortal (until a steak is driven through their heart), or at least non-aging. Do you think this concept would play into the Potterverse at all?
    I think that it would play in, but you have free reign!

Do vampires have to register with the Minestry like werewolves do? Can anyone see Hermione arguing as passionatly for vampire rights as she did for house elves and werewolves?
    I don't know, but I think that they'd have to. I don't think that Hermione would fight for the vampires unless she met one that she was really sorry for, like Lupin with the werewolves.

Does anyone see a possibility of a Ministry program to provide vampire with donated blood for food so they would hunt people (like the Clean Needle Program)? I think that there might be a program like that eventually, but after people like Hermione fended for them.

We know that vampire are not sold wands, but if one came into their possestion some other way, would they be able to use it?
    Yes, I think they would be able to use it.

Do vampires have a place in wizard society? Would they be able to work alongside wizards, say in the Ministry, or would they be social outcasts like werewolves?
    I think that they're a mixture of both. More accepted than werewolves but less than wizards.

There are potions to controll werewolves when they transform? Do you think there may be a potion to stop vampires from biting?
    I think that there would be, but it would be difficult to brew.

Hope I helped!