Thread: The Founders And Wands

Hybrid View

bling_baby

The Founders And Wands

I've been looking everywhere but it doesn't say so I'll ask if anybody knows. Is there a Canon wand core and length for the Founders. If not, which ones do you think they would be? I would be really grateful for the help!

la_vie_boheme
    There's nothing that I know of in the cannon about the Founder's wand cores or lengths.
    I think that Gryffindor would have a phoenix feather core, Slytherin would have dragon heartstring (same as Lucius, Peter, Bellatrix), Hufflepuff would have unicorn tail hair (Neville, Ron and Cedric had that), I'm not sure what Ravenclaw's would be, I'd guess either unicorn or dragon heartstring.
    Lengths are very subjective and I have no idea what each length would be or what wood each would use.

EDIT: I meant that lengths would be hard to tell because we don't know how tall the founders were.

anonymousravenclaw
    Actually, lengths appear to be based on height. Ron (14 in.) and Hagrid (16 in.) were tall, and Umbridge's wand was described as "stubby". Other wands tend to fit this pattern.

As to woods, OliveOil_Med researched some for the "Wand Cores" thread ( http://fanfiction.mugglenet.com/foru...ad.php?t=22021 post #7) which should give you a general idea about the woods.

Hope this helps!

-Kelly

Azhure
    I have this idea that the Founders didn't have wands. I don't think there is anything really stated in canon about this. I believe that in the Founders' era, magic was more concentrated. Over time the purebloods have mixed with more and more Muggles so the magic is diluted. Wands only really harness and use the magic all ready found in the witch/wizard themselves. In modern time (Harry's time), wands are needed to harness this power. In the Founder's time, it was optional.

Although there were Muggleborns in the Founders' era, there weren't as many (in my opinion). Wands would be necessary for the Muggleborns, and possibly Half-Bloods, but not the Purebloods.

That's my opinion, anyway.

~~Azhure~~

Fifth Year Gryffindor
    People Hate Me for Losing Points
    Quote Originally Posted by Azhure
    I have this idea that the Founders didn't have wands. I don't think there is anything really stated in canon about this. I believe that in the Founders' era, magic was more concentrated. Over time the purebloods have mixed with more and more Muggles so the magic is diluted. Wands only really harness and use the magic all ready found in the witch/wizard themselves. In modern time (Harry's time), wands are needed to harness this power. In the Founder's time, it was optional.

Although there were Muggleborns in the Founders' era, there weren't as many (in my opinion). Wands would be necessary for the Muggleborns, and possibly Half-Bloods, but not the Purebloods.

That's my opinion, anyway.

~~Azhure~~

That is a really cool idea, Azhure and it's very possible that wands weren't very common in that era, but we do know in canon that wands were being made much earlier than that.

From Sorcerer's Stone, American edition page 32:

Peeling gold letters over the door read Ollivanders: Makers of Fine Wands since 382 B.C.
    I like the idea that wands were just coming into fashion in that time and not everyone had one. That's neat!

Thanks to opaleye for the lovely banner!

Lyratearsx
    I agree. After all, in all the legends about Merlin he never had a wand. Was it a staff he used?

IDEA ALERT!

"If you are any wizard at all you will be able to channel your magic through almost any instrument." Ollivander, DH
    Note he didn't say wand.

So, what if they used the items that were later Horcruxes (or if Gryffindors case, the sword)?

That could work and definately would be different.

~Lyra