Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Fleur Delacour

Second Year Ravenclaw
    Beset by Owls
    I agree with Ariana. I think the attack on Bill and her improving relationship with the other Weasleys would've brought the situation too close to home for Fleur to ignore. I can see her being furious that someone had attacked the man she loved; after that, she had a personal reason for getting involved. If the DEs attacked the man she loved, it could be assumed that she wasn't safe either, and so worrying about her own safety wouldn't be a deterrent any more (if it ever was).

~Ari
    iBeta. iWrite. iDrabble.

A big thank you to Ari (A. H.) for these gorgeous banners!

Fourth Year Hufflepuff
    Arguing With The Sorting Hat
    This may be a stupid question, but I'm going to ask it anyway.

What do you think Fleur would have called Voldemort? What would she have said as a child/student, and what would she have said as an adult? Would she be the type that was too stubborn to call him You-Know-Who and call him Voldemort regardless (except for part of DH, obviously)? I had thought that maybe in France they would have just called him Voldemort because he was rather less of a threat to them I would think, so Fleur might have called him that, at least at first.

Thanks!
    Nora Writes ~ Nora Draws ~ Nora Duels ~ Nora Drabbles ~ Nora Betas

My fabulous Doctor Who banner is by Nadia/majestic_ginny!

Ebil Minion Ravenclaw
    Impersonating the Bloody Baron
    I don't know. Voldemort is actually French for flight from death or flight of death in French, pronounced without the 't'. I'm not sure if that changes anything for you, but I personally would feel less confident saying it, knowing its meaning. Or perhaps that she knows the meaning might make it merely a word rather than a really feared name.
    [@Bannermaking] [@Poetry] [@Writing] [@Drabbling] [@Duelling]

Incredible Avvie and Beautiful banner for my Cotillion fic by Nadia/majestic_ginny!

Fourth Year Hufflepuff
    Snape Hates Me
    I can see her being somewhat scornful of his name because of its French meaning, as explained by BP. It would have sounded somewhat ridiculous to her. I don't think that she would quite understand why people were scared to say it, because she wasn't living in Britain during the first war and would probably have been too young to remember it anyway. Her parents wouldn't have talked about him in the same way as, say, the Weasleys would have either. Therefore, the name wouldn't have the same connotations for her as it would for others. Harry struggled to understand the fear of the name, and I think Fleur would be in a similar position. Even as she grew more frightened of him in her adulthood, I think that she might have chosen to keep saying Voldemort. I see her as being quite stubborn about it, and it was encouraged by Dumbledore. If Bill complained about her saying the name, she could have used Dumbledore as a justification. Of course, she would have had to stop using it during DH, as you said, but I think that she would have resented that.

~Sophie
    Avvie by majestic_ginny/Nadia. Banner by clabbert2102/Bella. Thank you both!

I write, I drabble, duel, beta and draw,
    I am a Hufflepuff to the core!

First Year Ravenclaw
    In the Rubble at Godric's Hollow

Here is an unusual question for you guys, how would you rank Fleur's dueling talents? I would assume they are above average since she survivied the Battle of Hogwarts. Also how do you think she would duel, style wise? I want to write her with a very different style of dueling with her teaching her style to an Order protege. I am thinking something very elegant and quick possibly?

Ebil Lieutenant Ravenclaw
    Enemies of the Heir, Beware...of the Petrified Cat!
    I think Fleur would be pretty strategic, rather than impulsive, and I agree with you that her style would probably be pretty elegant (i.e. not just throwing out any hex/jinx she can think of). I also agree that her duelling skills are definitely well above average, which was why she was Triwizard champion. I would suggest looking at how she chose to tackle the tasks for inspiration. I think she fought the dragon by putting it into a trance, and she used the Bubble Head Charm when she went underwater, so that's what you can work from, I guess. I thought maybe she is more concerned about defence and ensuring she herself is safe, rather than going for the attack -- as in, if say you compare her to Krum, who used the Conjunctivitis Curse on the dragon, he went straight for the attack, whereas Fleur wanted to put it to sleep. And I think you'd have to be fairly good at charms to cast a strong enough Bubble Head Charm in order to stay underwater that long, so I'm guessing charms feature a lot in her duelling?

This is all just my supposition, though. I think you can extrapolate in a lot of different ways from what we know in canon, so you do have flexibility. I hope something in that babble above helped.

Beautiful banner by the lovely Pooja/Ginny Weasley Potter.

Keep calm and carry on my wayward son.

First Year Ravenclaw
    In the Rubble at Godric's Hollow

I also think her style would emphasize on defense, wearing down an opponent until she sees an opening or they make a mistake. I also want to depict her as extremely calm and level headed while dueling, adding to her form's elegance. Not to bring Star Wars into this but I imagined her form would be similar to the Makashi form of lightsaber combat.