Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Hannah Abbot

Sixth Year Hufflepuff
    You Need Some Driving Lessons, Ron
    Quote Originally Posted by OliveOil_Med
    If her mother was a Muggle-born, though, she could potential have been killed just because she was a Muggle-born. It would have been a fairly well-known fact, and not everyone the Death Eaters went after was an enemy to them (Ollivander, Fortescue).
    She certainly could have been killed simply for being Muggle-born, but I didn't think the climate had escalated to that degree in the first part of HBP, which is when that murder took place. It could be, though. I like to imagine that she did work at the Ministry, though (as Molly said) not in a glamorous job. Perhaps she was a receptionist or something in a position to hear things or witness things Voldemort could be interested in. I imagine her being captured and tortured for information... whether she gave it or not, I have not thought it through... but she was murdered in the end. Cheerful, huh?

Sorry to say, Hannah isn't described as being very bright, so I doubt her parents were intellectuals (Hannah grew up to be the landlady at the Leaky Cauldron).
    She is nervous about school and tests and seems to suffer from some anxiety issues. While she is not Hermione, I can imagine her excelling in a certain subject area or another... she is very like Neville, and he is fantastic in Herbology. I see her as above-average in school, but very nervous about her abilities, and unlikely to be the best in any subject.

Dating:
    I must preface this by saying that Hannah has become one of my favorite characters to write, and I have developed some of my own ideas here... in my mind, she and Ernie do not date, but they are best friends. I see no reason why she wouldn't have dated someone else, even if it was the Yule Ball or some other event. I don't know about a long-term boyfriend. But I don't imagine Neville being her first kiss or anything.

Ooh... I'm glad you mentioned that about her father being half-blood and the graves in GH. I had completely forgotten about those graves. Do you think it implausible that her father was a Muggle? How common a name is Abbott? Is it plausible that his father was a wizard and his mum a Muggle? And then he is also a Muggle? Just curious about this.
    Lovely banner by Nadia

Wizengamot Ravenclaw
    You idiot! Always playing the Hero!
    Don't have her mother be a Healer! That has become so much of a cliche in stories, to the point where there have to be more Healers in the world than there are people who need treatment.

If her mother was a Muggle-born, though, she could potential have been killed just because she was a Muggle-born. It would have been a fairly well-known fact, and not everyone the Death Eaters went after was an enemy to them (Ollivander, Fortescue).

Sorry to say, Hannah isn't described as being very bright, so I doubt her parents were intellectuals (Hannah grew up to be the landlady at the Leaky Cauldron). I could see her from being more from a lower-middle class family where her parents wouldn't have particularily glamorus jobs.

Brand New Story!

Banner by lullaby_BANG. Completely awesome avi came from here!

My brand new trailer for Snape Didn't Die by thegirllikeme to serve as a constant source of inspiration whilst I write!

First Year Hufflepuff
    Setting Snakes on Hapless Relatives

Quote Originally Posted by Weasley Mom
    She certainly could have been killed simply for being Muggle-born, but I didn't think the climate had escalated to that degree in the first part of HBP, which is when that murder took place. It could be, though. I like to imagine that she did work at the Ministry, though (as Molly said) not in a glamorous job. Perhaps she was a receptionist or something in a position to hear things or witness things Voldemort could be interested in.
    Oooh, I love the idea of her being a receptionist at the Ministry of Magic! A smaller part time job because she would have spent a lot of time at home with Hannah.

Ooh... I'm glad you mentioned that about her father being half-blood and the graves in GH. I had completely forgotten about those graves. Do you think it implausible that her father was a Muggle? How common a name is Abbott? Is it plausible that his father was a wizard and his mum a Muggle? And then he is also a Muggle? Just curious about this.
    I'm not sure about that. When I first started getting interested in Hannah I always pictured her dad as a muggle. But then someone reminded me of the Abbott graves in GH Hollow. After that I was pretty sure the graves belonged to Hannah's relatives. So in my fic Hannah's dad has a wizard dad and muggle mom and Hannah's mom is muggle born. I actually really like how I have it now.

In my opinion if one parent is a witch/wizard then the children will most likely be as well. I bet its really rare if they are born a muggle. (I think magic would be like a dominant gene)

And by OliveOil_Med
    I could see her from being more from a lower-middle class family where her parents wouldn't have particularily glamorus jobs.
    So maybe her dad could work in a shop in Diagon Alley? Maybe Quality Quidditch Supplies or a Secondhand Shop?
    Then her mum could be a receptionist like Weasley Mom suggested or some other small part-time job.

Ok, one more question:
    Can you see Hannah having any siblings?

Right now I've given her sister[Abigail] who is seven years older so they never even go to Hogwarts together. I kind of see her as the exact opposite of Hannah -- smart, tall, popular and athletic.
    I'm really growing to like Abby and how she effects Hannah's character. But before I get too attached does it say anywhere that Hannah is for sure an only child?

Wizengamot Ravenclaw
    You idiot! Always playing the Hero!
    Can you see Hannah having any siblings?

We know, at the very least, she didn't have any siblings starting school during her third or fourth year, otherwise it would have been mentioned that there was a student being sorted who had the same last name as her.

I think it's very possible that she had siblings. Only children are quite rare, at least where I'm from. How common are they in Britain? If wizards make a pattern of having only one child, no wonder they're dying out!

Brand New Story!

Banner by lullaby_BANG. Completely awesome avi came from here!

My brand new trailer for Snape Didn't Die by thegirllikeme to serve as a constant source of inspiration whilst I write!

Wizengamot Hufflepuff
    Kill the Spare
    In her original notes, JKR had Hannah as a pure-blood. She only changed it when the first film was made and the director wanted Hannah to be a Muggleborn - (I have no idea why as it was never a plot point). As a compromise JKR made her a half-blood.

Um, I don't really think having someone's profession as a Healer automatically makes it a cliche. As Hannah's mother was killed by Death Eaters, it's quite likely that she had a high profile job. She was important enough to murder, so Healer or Hit Wizard or something would make a lot of sense. Fortescue, in the original story that was cut due to length, had a connection to the Elder Wand. Voldemort, at that time, didn't murder for the sake of it. It was always strategically planned.

With regard to Hannah not being bright and only becoming the landlady of a pub ... er, can I just say that's really quite patronising. Being the landlady/owner of a pub may not be 'intellectually stimulating' for some people, but it's the type of job that takes a lot of common sense, intelligence (stock taking, dealing with money, handling customers) and a shedload of hard work.

The fact that she's the landlady and thus owns the pub suggests she has enough money to have bought the pub in the first place. She either inherited some money or dragged herself up to earn the money. That takes determination, hard work and intelligence.

She went to pieces during one exam, but she passed several of them and was back to take NEWTS. She certainly passed DADA.

~Carole~
    I'm a BARMAID. I write. I drabble. I duel. I poet. I'm a BADGER!!!

Banner by minnabird

Seventh Year Gryffindor
    Obliviate!
    Only children aren't uncommon as people do only have one child. I know several people who don't have siblings, so she could be one if you wanted her to be one. Personally, I see her as one just because there isn't an Abbot sibling mentioned. But I suppose there isn't really cause for one, so there could be.

Right now I've given her sister[Abigail] who is seven years older so they never even go to Hogwarts together. I kind of see her as the exact opposite of Hannah -- smart, tall, popular and athletic.
    Hmm. Watch out she doesn't turn out too cliche.

Sarah x

Wonderful avvie by psijupiter. Totally brilliant and amazing banner by Julia/the opaleye!

Seventh Year Hufflepuff
    Am I in the Right House?
    In general only children are fairly common throughout Europe, indeed, many couples don't have any.

Whether pure bloods are more or less likely to have more kids - Draco and Scorpius are only children, Sirius and Regulus are two, the Black sisters are three... well, that could be generational too.

BrieJeanne: if you do want to give Hannah an older sister, I would be careful about how to characterize her. I could see Hannah feeling like her sister is all of those things (pretty, popular, tall, athletic) while she is not, but her sister wasn't necessarily all of these things, or at least not to the extent that Hannah perceives it. Work out how much is Hannah's perception and how much is true from a more neutral perspective, and then I think you'll know if the character works as a round character.

As for Hannah's mother's job, we really don't know what she does, but we also don't get any suggestions that her mother was an Auror or a Hit Wizard (Hit Witch?) or some other profession that would lead to her being targeted, either. When Susan Bones's aunt, the judge is killed, it seems that people mention her profession. Or is it only that Harry has met the aunt?

But a Muggleborn in a prominent government job of some kind would explain why Voldemort killed her.
    Stories Duels Poems Drabbles
    Proud Puff on MNFF and Slyth on Pottermore

Banner by the awesome Minnabird Icon by wicked visions on LJ

Seventh Year Gryffindor
    First Brush With A Dementor

Quote Originally Posted by Molly
    Don't have her mother be a Healer! That has become so much of a cliche in stories, to the point where there have to be more Healers in the world than there are people who need treatment.
    Mhmm, but some people do have to be Healers, and not all stories are linked to each other, so...
    I mean, by all means, give her a different profession if you want to, but if her being a Healer fits with your story, don't not do it just because it might be a cliché. Honestly, avoiding and tip-toeing around clichés has become a cliché by now!

Not at that stage though. Like Carole already said, the DEs went after people that were strategically in some way important. She might have been an enemy, she might have had relevant information or skills for one of the two sides... or she was in the way somehow. Voldemort went after Muggleborns in a much more planned way

Sorry to say, Hannah isn't described as being very bright, so I doubt her parents were intellectuals (Hannah grew up to be the landlady at the Leaky Cauldron). I could see her from being more from a lower-middle class family where her parents wouldn't have particularily glamorus jobs.
    How exactly is she described as not being very bright? I actually got the impression that she was a fairly intelligent, but shy and insecure girl. In the very least, we have to agree that not a lot is said about her intelligence. And in that case, you can't just say that her running a pub is evidence for her lack of intelligence.
    It's just like when people say that Molly Weasley is backwards and not emancipated because she stayed at home to raise her kids. Running a pub (as well as raising kids) requires a lot of effort – physical work as well as a certain intellect, unless she had a lot of help. And even if you stay firm on your point and say that it doesn't require any intelligence at all... Have you ever considered that it might have been her choice to run the pub? Maybe she worked there for a while after she graduated and found that she enjoyed the atmosphere etc. so much that she wanted to stay there. Maybe she designs the Daily Prophet Saturday Crossword on the side, and the Ministry often calls upon her to ask for advice concerning the latest developments in their magical research departments. We just don't know, and saying that her job indicates that she's not clever is just jumping to conclusions very quickly, and building on a shaky base.

And anyway, after his seventh year at Hogwarts, I can't see Neville going for some airhead.
    This completely gorgeous banner, which makes me happier than a squirrel, was made by Hokey

Fourth Year Hufflepuff
    McGonagall Likes My Quidditch Skills
    There were a few only children in the books (though I'm not going to count Harry or Neville b/c their parents never got a chance to have more children). James, Remus, Snape, Hermione, Draco and Scorpius are known only children. I feel like Dean Thomas is an only child because there is never any mention of a sibling. But then again he could have a half sibling who would be a muggle. The Weasley's had more children then was normal. I see most families having two or three children, but only children aren't a rare breed.

I viewed Hannah as intelligent. All of the prefects we know of were at least reasonably intelligent. Even Draco, he was in N.E.W.T's potions and it seemed as if he was part of the class before Slughorn became Professor because only Harry and Ron didn't have supplies/a book. That means he got an "O" on his Potions O.W.L. To be a prefect, I think you had to be responsible and do pretty well in classes. I think because of Hannah's personality of being nervous, a ministry job wouldn't really suit her. Maybe she tries it for a little while and then decides it isn't for her. Even though she is nervous, I see her as a people person so a job at the Leaky Cauldron would suit her.

~Rachel (an only child)

Fifth Year Gryffindor
    I See Dead People... In Mirrors
    Ok, here is a question for a story I am writing:

Would you consider Hannah to be "the forgiving type" after someone had hurt her both mentally and physically?

Also, I can't seem to find the chapter in which Hannah learns her mother dies. Could someone tell me which one in HBP it is?

Beautifulamazingperfect banner by BrokenPromise!

BACK FROM HIATUS!