Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Hannah Abbot

Fifth Year Ravenclaw
    Hatching Dragon's Eggs
    Lori

I reckon that it's up to you. She left school when her Mum was killed, and did not go back that year. She was at the battle. My solution (for "Fred and George's Busy Day") was:

‘Shouldn’t you be back at school?’ Fred asked Hannah, grumpily.

‘I’m not clever enough; I only got five OWLs and I didn’t take my re-sits because I left when the Death Eaters killed my Mum last year,’ Hannah declared bitterly. ‘I’d be a seventh year retaking fifth year lessons. I’ve been working here for ten months, and Tom knows people in the Ministry. He persuaded them to make an exception for me. I can do more good here than I could at school.

Neil

ps by extracting that quote I've discovered a missing speech mark.

First Competition Banner I've won. For: Killers

Sixth Year Hufflepuff
    You Need Some Driving Lessons, Ron
    Hmmm... interesting points, all. This may remain a bit of a mystery. I looked through parts of DH, and found her name not mentioned with the others present when the trio first entered the Room of Requirement. Yet she is present in ch36 for the fighting. Of course the fact that she wasn't mentioned doesn't mean she wasn't there, but it leaves things vague. I see what you mean though... if attendance was compulsory, why wouldn't she have been there for the seventh year?

As far as the Lexicon goes, there is no ambiguity whatsoever. It clearly indicates that she returned specifically for the battle, even mentioning the month of May.

From the Harry Potter Lexicon:
    Sadly, Hannah's mother was killed by Death Eaters (HBP11) during her sixth year at Hogwarts and Hannah left school. She returned in May of 1998 to fight in the Battle of Hogwarts (DH36).
    Perhaps it is an error, as Carole suggested.

I'm encouraged by your tactic, Neil. I think I relied too heavily on the Lexicon, and my Hannah stuff is now not feeling so great to me anymore... I like sticking with canon when I write. Ah, well. Thanks for helping me think through this, everyone. Happy writing.
    Lovely banner by Nadia

Wizengamot Hufflepuff
    Kill the Spare
    Hannah definitelky passed her DADA owl, btw, because Harry notes that all the DA members passed (and I think were taking the NEWT), so I presume Hannah did as she was a DA member. She also took Herbology NEWT.

According to Harry Potter Wiki, btw, Hannah did return the following year. Ah, and according to this site, JKR always considered Hannah to be a pure-nlood, but then the film company had her down as a Muggle born - as a compromise she was made a half-blood.

Hannah Longbottom (ne Abbott) was a half-blood witch who was in the same year at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry as Harry Potter. She was Sorted into Hufflepuff House in 1991, and later became both a Prefect and a member of Dumbledore's Army. In 1996, Hannah was pulled out of school after her mother was murdered by Lord Voldemort, but she returned the following year and was again a member of the D.A. and fought in the Battle of Hogwarts in 1998. Later in life, Hannah married Neville Longbottom and became landlady of the Leaky Cauldron, which the couple lived above.
    I'm becoming rather intrigued by this girl now ...
    I'm a BARMAID. I write. I drabble. I duel. I poet. I'm a BADGER!!!

Banner by minnabird

Fifth Year Ravenclaw
    Hatching Dragon's Eggs
    And she can't be Muggle-born because she "inherited" the Leaky Cauldron (if I remember correctly). In my mind, Hannah's mother was a well respected Muggle-born witch.

The 'compulsory' schooling always puzzled me because in the UK it's possible to leave school after your GCSE's (aka OWLs). Also, all seventh year students must be seventeen and therefore adults. Without the trace the regime would have no chance of tracking absconding seventh years (if they could, JKR will need to rewrite DH).

Neil

First Competition Banner I've won. For: Killers

Second Year Ravenclaw
    Beset by Owls

Hannah Abbott

The 'compulsory' schooling always puzzled me because in the UK it's possible to leave school after your GCSE's (aka OWLs). Also, all seventh year students must be seventeen and therefore adults. Without the trace the regime would have no chance of tracking absconding seventh years (if they could, JKR will need to rewrite DH).
    My best guess is that Voldemort's regime didn't think tracking down half-blood or pureblood wizards and witches who didn't return to Hogwarts were just scared to turn up again after Dumbledore's murder. Towards the end of HBP, you see some of the parents pulling their children out of school the morning after, eg. the Patil twins and Zacharias Smith. However, as their regime believed in the extermination of Muggleborns, they would have focused their energies to finding them, not the 'purerblooded' wizards and witches. To me, this is why Hannah was safe.

Also, sitting for your NEWTS is not compolsory. There are several examples throughout the seven books. The Weasley twins are two prime examples; they left before they could obtain their degrees, and they still have/had a successful job/career. It depends what career you wanted to do; for instance, in Chapter Twenty-Nine of OoTP:

She was pouring her head over a bright pink and orange leaflet that was headed, 'SO YOU THINK YOU'D LIKE TO WORK IN MUGGLE RELATIONS?' 'You don't seem to need many qualifications to liaise with Muggles; all they want is an OWL in Muggle Studies: Much more important is your enthusiasm, patience and a good sense of fun!'
    So it depends on the job you wanted and what qualifications you needed. Harry and Ron, although they didn't attend Hogwarts for seventh year, either became an exception to this rule as the Auror Department would have hired them regardless, due to their war hero status, or sat their NEWTS away from Hogwarts. The first one is more likely.

Also, with your Trace comment, there are other ways of tracking down someone without the Trace on them. Otherwise, how would the Auror department ever catch the bad guys?

Hope this helps!

Back from a ridiculously long hiatus.

Sixth Year Gryffindor
    Ultimate Chess
    I always assumed they used the school attendance records. They know what year each student is in, therefore if you don't show up they would come looking for you and your family even if the student had turned 17 by then. The DE's wouldn't have much trouble locating people since they are in control of the ministry by this point.

Just a thought.

♥♥♥♥Stunning banner and zechadingly cool avvie by the amazing Gmariam! Thanks Gina!♥♥♥♥

Sixth Year Hufflepuff
    Right then, back to Hannah. So if she missed most of her sixth year, and came back for the seventh year, do you think she would have returned to Hogwarts the year after the battle? I would think an author could go either way with this... but I'm curious what everyone thinks about it.

Incidentally, I love Hannah Abbott.
    Lovely banner by Nadia

Seventh Year Gryffindor
    Being Chased by Singing Dwarves with Valentines
    I would think so. She'd be a year behind in her studies. That's my opinion at least. Maybe Neville could 'tutor' her. Haha, that's a funny thought
    GRYFFINDOR PRIDE!
    Avvie by me, banner by TM_Wandstick.
    It matters not what one is born, but what they become.Don't let your praying knees get lazy, and love like crazy!

Wizengamot Hufflepuff
    Kill the Spare
    I don't think she missed most of her school year. She leaves in the first term and it says they didn't see her for the rest of that year, but that could mean the end of the calender year - not the academic one. If she left in October, then she could have come back in January, after Christmas. So she'd only miss half a term.

I would think McGonagall would offer any student the chance to resit a year (Warrington resat his NEWTs according to JKR because he'd failed them all). But not every subject would have been corrupted. Only Muggle Studies and DADA would need a reworking of because I assume that the other teachers (like McG and Flitwick) kept to their syllabus and tried to teach as normally as possible.

You could easily get away with Hannah resitting a year. Neville - I doubt. JKR said that after the Battle, Kingsley asked Harry, Ron and Neville to help him round up the bad guys. Neville would have done that for a while, then perhaps taken his NEWTs, furthered his study of Herbology, before returning as a professor.

~Carole~
    I'm a BARMAID. I write. I drabble. I duel. I poet. I'm a BADGER!!!

Banner by minnabird

Sixth Year Hufflepuff
    Quote Originally Posted by Equinox Chick
    I don't think she missed most of her school year. She leaves in the first term and it says they didn't see her for the rest of that year, but that could mean the end of the calender year - not the academic one. If she left in October, then she could have come back in January, after Christmas. So she'd only miss half a term.
    ~Carole~
    In my mind, she did return, but not Neville, of course. You make a good point about her possibly only missing a couple of months, but with them making mention in the books of her having not returned, it makes me think it actually WOULD have been noticed if she returned after Christmas. ?? It's all just speculation though, I suppose.

So you think it would also be believable for Ernie to return, since that would have been offered to any student? I know its not Ernie's thread, but he is connected to Hannah in my mind... and it's her I'm thinking about with regard to all of this.

Thanks to both of you for responding.
    Lovely banner by Nadia